The Precious Metal Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Fortune8
Fortune8

NGC grading (Numistacker) Empty NGC grading (Numistacker)

Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:36 pm
If anyone wants to put items for grading with NGC, then "Numistacker" is your man.
I have been using his services for a few years now, and can highly recommend him.
He is a member of this forum, so get in touch with him for more details, he also has a Facebook account.

Admin, Rod Panhard, AceBullion, Davey, Numistacker, mervs68 and YooperGirl like this post

AgAuAgAu

NGC grading (Numistacker) Empty Re: NGC grading (Numistacker)

Sun Jul 04, 2021 12:33 pm
Can you tell a little more about this service, please? I understand that people can just self grade via an NGC account with a yearly subscription. Why would someone pay someone else for this service? What is so special about it? Thank you.

Fortune8 and Numistacker like this post

Fortune8
Fortune8

Sun Jul 04, 2021 1:00 pm
It takes all the hassle out of the process, registration, form filling, insurance, errors, etc.
You can do it yourself, I don't think the joining fee is all that much, but I'm not sure if there would be much financial savings?
I use "Numistacker" for convenience, and advice, but that's just a personal thing.

Admin, Numistacker and mervs68 like this post

AgAuAgAu

Sun Jul 04, 2021 3:38 pm
Looking at the charges, I think there would be substantial savings. TSF teamed up with Coins of The Realm and offer a similar service at a much cheaper rate if anyone is interested. Saying that, SO much cheaper to self grade. You have to be a total moron to use any grading service when you can do it yourself...

kimchi likes this post

The Cat's Mother
The Cat's Mother

Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:06 pm
Unfortunately, given the world we live in, there are likely to be issues of credibility about self-certification. The assessments inevitably involve an element of judgement and in my view the dangers of self assessment, on anything not just coins, range from over-optimism to outright fraud. I don't consider myself to be a moron, but I would be reluctant to trust such an assessment.

Admin, Numistacker and mervs68 like this post

AgAuAgAu

Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:09 pm
@The Cat's Mother wrote:Unfortunately, given the world we live in, there are likely to be issues of credibility about self-certification. The assessments inevitably involve an element of judgement and in my view the dangers of self assessment, on anything not just coins, range from over-optimism to outright fraud. I don't consider myself to be a moron, but I would be reluctant to trust such an assessment.

Good point. I guess what you need then is someone with proper experience in grading the coins you want to grade. Apologies for coming across rude and using the word ‘moron’. I guess I mean it in regard to modern issues from the various mints. Why would ANYONE pay someone else to grade an Una or Three Graces? Crazy. Perhaps a George IIII sovereign or Vic Crown but modern?? Nah. Throwing your money away.
Numistacker
Numistacker

Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:03 pm
@AgAuAgAu wrote:
@The Cat's Mother wrote:Unfortunately, given the world we live in, there are likely to be issues of credibility about self-certification. The assessments inevitably involve an element of judgement and in my view the dangers of self assessment, on anything not just coins, range from over-optimism to outright fraud. I don't consider myself to be a moron, but I would be reluctant to trust such an assessment.

Good point. I guess what you need then is someone with proper experience in grading the coins you want to grade. Apologies for coming across rude and using the word ‘moron’. I guess I mean it in regard to modern issues from the various mints. Why would ANYONE pay someone else to grade an Una or Three Graces? Crazy. Perhaps a George IIII sovereign or Vic Crown but modern?? Nah. Throwing your money away.

You make an interesting point but having now submitted perhaps 8000 more than coins to NGC for grading I can tell why people do it and it does make a lot of sense. I think you have to look at the motivation of each person has and it’s very different some people like to build registry sets and are interested in the gamification of grading. Other people want to ensure that they are not the owner of one of the very many dud coins produced by multinational mints including the Royal Mint. If you ask the mint what is an acceptable standard for a modern Coin they will say anything between NGC PF 68 and 70 yet almost no collectors would be happy with a PF 68 and most would want a 70. I’ve noticed that almost everybody buying a muffin coin that isn’t graded in the secondary market would make an assumption that the coin has a problem. Many people therefore choose grading to ensure that they know their own coin does not have a problem and when selling their coin to prove to others that the coin is not problematic.

Admin, Fortune8, The Cat's Mother and mervs68 like this post

Admin
Admin
Admin
https://www.thepreciousmetalforum.com

Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:58 pm
I have a lot of faith in what you do, I am so glad that your on here and able to help.

Can you please answer a few questions. This is coming from me and my LACK of knowledge I have.

How do I or anyone else start??

Meaning Where do we begin, is there a anything we need to do to have a coin or bullion submitted to you? How does it work ?
How much does it costs? Is it set or does it vary?

I am really clueless and have not gone down this path yet because of the unknown. I really hope to know more and then I can take your advice and start sending things to you.

I am sure others will follow.

Thank you

Fortune8 and mervs68 like this post

Numistacker
Numistacker

Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:36 pm
@Admin wrote:I have a lot of faith in what you do, I am so glad that your on here and able to help.

Can you please answer a few questions. This is coming from me and my LACK of knowledge I have.

How do I or anyone else start??

Meaning Where do we begin, is there a anything we need to do to have a coin or bullion submitted to you?  How does it work ?
How much does it costs? Is it set or does it vary?

I am really clueless and have not gone down this path yet because of the unknown. I really hope to know more and then I can take your advice and start sending things to you.

I am sure others will follow.

Thank you

The first thing to say is that I am authorised by NGC to take submissions from the public. Coins should only be given to either NGC themselves or an authorized dealer. There are some people who offer services as private individuals and this is sometimes dangerous and in breach of NGC rules (NGC have asked me to point this out).

Coins are sent to me by special delivery and then the online form is completed so that I know the tracking number to expect in the post. High-value coins can be submitted personally at the office by appointment.

There are about eight different tiers which separate coins out by age and value.

I’m always happy to help advise which tier coins should be in.

https://www.thenumistacker.com/s/NGC-UK-Numistcker-Price-List.pdf

Https://www.thenumistacker.com/send-coins-in-for-submission

Most modern coins are around £24 inclusive of all grading charges but excluding return postage.

Most older non-gold coins are £28 on the same basis.

Gold sovereigns minted before 1968 are £35 including all grading charges.

Sometimes a modern coin is submitted with the first releases blue special label chosen the service is 10 pounds. There are many possibilities for special labels on coins and each special label cost 5 pounds.

Any coin which has a value over 7500 pounds is a high value item and would normally be graded in the walk-through tier.

Any coin worth between £2,500 and £7,500 would normally be greater in the express tier.

Submissions are made at the end of every month so your deadline for sending submissions is usually about the 25th of every month.

The process takes between two months and three months generally. All actual grading is done in the United States in Sarasota.

I hope that this basic information is helpful and if anybody has any specific questions I’m more than happy to answer.

Fortune8, The Cat's Mother, AceBullion and mervs68 like this post

AceBullion
AceBullion
Admin
https://www.acebullion.com

Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:46 pm
That is exactly what we need to know. It is alot cheaper than I thought, and the rewards are worth it from what I have seen. I think you will have a new customer "me" soon. I will have to see what I think I want graded.

Fortune8 and mervs68 like this post

Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum