The Precious Metal Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin
https://www.thepreciousmetalforum.com

Forum Suggestions Please read. Empty Forum Suggestions Please read.

Wed May 12, 2021 8:12 pm
I am working as hard as possible to set up a forum for everyone to use and that wont cost a penny.

It is not rocket science that I am paying for this, but I am not going to a have substandard forum for everyone.

Please if you spot a problem or error, Do not PM me, please type it below.

Thank you all.

Admin and Weremouse Workshop like this post

Fortune8
Fortune8

Forum Suggestions Please read. Empty Re: Forum Suggestions Please read.

Thu May 13, 2021 2:41 pm
Unable to attach photo's on Silver for sale posts.

Admin and Fortune8 like this post

Admin
Admin
Admin

Thu May 13, 2021 2:48 pm
Thank you I am looking into that now.

Fortune8 likes this post

Admin
Admin
Admin

Thu May 13, 2021 2:56 pm
This will take a little bit of time. I am trying to figure out how not to use a html code for this. And have users just be able to post a picture easily.

Sorry it might be tomorrow. I need to investigate it a bit more.

Fortune8
Fortune8

Sat May 22, 2021 10:46 am
Thanks, now working. cheers cheers

AgAuAgAu

Sun Jul 04, 2021 12:38 pm
Get rid of all the adverts. Looks clunky. People won’t use this site if it is full of spam adverts. Looks cheap. I’m sure people would pay a small fee for access if it meant no adverts. As things stand it’s just a cheap version of XXXX and not great. Invest more time and money. I’m happy to help if needed.

Last edited by Admin on Sun Jul 04, 2021 2:35 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Admin Email sent to poster, Opinion still valid but promotions of another group or site is not welcomed)
Fortune8
Fortune8

Sun Jul 04, 2021 1:35 pm
Welcome to thepreciousmetalforum.com
I'm not sure you fully understand what this forum is all about, it's not a cheep version of "anything". It's a "Free" platform for anyone who wishes to join, and interact with other like minded people with the same interests.
As far as adverts are concerned, I never see any, I have a free app. that blocks them.
This is not an alternative to other platforms, just a unique free site for anyone and everyone to enjoy.
I'm glad you found us, and decided to join our group, we are just starting, and welcome all new members, and encourage constructive comments on how to improve as we grow.

Admin, The Cat's Mother, AceBullion, denby and Coincapton like this post

Jazz
Jazz

Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:12 pm
How about a tab that says “how did you hear about this forum” that way you can track to see if its social media or word of mouth.

Last edited by Jazz on Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

Mcb2007
Mcb2007

Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:26 pm
How about a section for info of the many mints , dealers and other bargain sellers . I have seen so many mentioned on here and never heard of half of them as I’m a novice to all this .

Admin and The Cat's Mother like this post

The Cat's Mother
The Cat's Mother

Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:42 pm
I would go along with that. There are a number of dealers that I have recommended along the way, but I almost certainly couldn't find the posts now. A compendium would be a really good idea. The only condition would be that the recommendation had to be made by someone who had used the site and been happy with the transaction, and that the post should be a 'warts and all' description.

Admin and Mcb2007 like this post

Mcb2007
Mcb2007

Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:44 pm
The Cat's Mother wrote:I would go along with that. There are a number of dealers that I have recommended along the way, but I almost certainly couldn't find the posts now. A compendium would be a really good idea. The only condition would be that the recommendation had to be made by someone who had used the site and been happy with the transaction, and that the post should be a 'warts and all' description.

That would be great and a list of wrong uns to steer clear of .

Admin likes this post

Admin
Admin
Admin

Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:50 pm
@Jazz That is where the Welcome Section comes into place. It is a place where people can introduce themselves and get a nice warm welcome. 

@Mcb2007  @The Cat's Mother General section can be used for a Sticky, and we can keep adding to it, I tried this before but no one was on board. If we are wanting a Directory listing of Dealers than we should start on a sticky, After that if it gains momentum and needs to be a separate section I will happily add one. 

Crypto ??? of all the sections this might be on the way out. It is not being used and I will talk to the Moderator team.

Jazz and Mcb2007 like this post

m&m prospecting
m&m prospecting

Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:37 am
I'm thinking maybe in the for sale section a currency converter for some that are interested in buying but don't use the pound or pence or dollar. Any thoughts

Admin likes this post

Admin
Admin
Admin

Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:43 pm
m&m prospecting wrote:I'm thinking maybe in the for sale section a currency converter for some that are interested in buying but don't use the pound or pence or dollar. Any thoughts
I will see if there is any type of widget that I can add or put on the forum. The only problem is it will not calculate the total or convert it. But it could give a idea of how much a CAD ( Canadian Dollar ) EURO ( self explanatory ) USD ( United States Dollar ) GBP ( Pound UK ) 

And the other issue is if I use a plugin for converting the money, It is then up to PayPal to then use its own calculations which is different. 

But I will have a look and see how detailed it will need to be and what is realistic.

m&m prospecting likes this post

The Cat's Mother
The Cat's Mother

Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:28 pm
I tend to agree with @Admin (I hope the shock isn't too much for him), particularly where Paypal is concerned. Their website does contain details of the conversion rate they are applying on the day the search is made, so perhaps a link to that would be helpful as a sticky in the 'For Sale' section. Otherwise, if a simple conversion is needed, it's as easy to use Google and ask, e.g., 'what is $X in pounds sterling?' That will give a reasonable idea, although you won't know the actual final cost until you have pressed the 'buy' button. There is also the difference between bank rate and retail exchange rate to factor in.

Admin likes this post

Admin
Admin
Admin

Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:30 pm
I have had a look, and whilst there are a many things I could add, having a exchange rate for pricing is just not possible as any type of reliable source. 

As TCM has stated I google       100usd to gbp  Result [size=36]73.10[/size] [size=36]Pound sterling[/size]
And for USD to Gbp I will google 100 gbp to usd  Result [size=36]136.79[/size] [size=36]United States Dollar[/size]

Please Note that the difference it has. And this can be very confusing and expensive or a Loss to either party.  It also does not take on any of the Exchange rates which are then added. The above prices are the actual conversion, Any money service or bank will charge but may not say what the rate is. And PayPal is one of the worst! I use it but OMG The rates change by how you pay, the card you use, and so on. 3% adding on top of the cost is usually a loss. I found that it is about 4.5% which is horrible.
m&m prospecting
m&m prospecting

Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:26 am
I understand just a mention I was thinking about no biggie if you don't feel it's worth it

Admin and AceBullion like this post

Admin
Admin
Admin

Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:11 pm
m&m prospecting wrote:I understand just a mention I was thinking about no biggie if you don't feel it's worth it
Hey  @m&m prospecting I had a look into this to see if it was at all possible. 

The problems I faced was that this forum would have to have a account where sellers and buyers would use to be able to give a cost in various forums. 
Such as my personal website www.acebullion.co.uk
There is no way to add a widget onto listings without an account that automatically converted over from Dollars to Pounds etc. 
The only solution I could use is a widget to put on the top of the screen to add what the actual dollar to pound was. It does not give exchange rates or % of what companies like PayPal would charge. 

I think it would be great and worth it if such a widget existed, but sadly at this time there is nothing I can implement onto the WordPress side of the forum to enable this to happen. As some sellers will use bank transfer or ask for friends and family. 

Your idea is a good one, we just need someone in the world to make this a viable add on that is stable without the need of a account which I would be in control of, and that is something I am not prepared to do. The transactions remain between buyer and seller. I just host and pay for the forum. Adding on the additional responsibility would and could be a huge nightmare and also have legal ramifications. 

So please keep on shooting the suggestions. They are all looked into and are always in the interest of all the members. I think this is a great idea but there is no such application that I can add on the forum at this time. It just does not exist. 

Admin.

m&m prospecting likes this post

m&m prospecting
m&m prospecting

Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:37 pm
I believe everything is going great on the forum you have a awesome site

AceBullion likes this post

Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:08 pm
Could you swap the 'post new topic' and 'reply to thread' buttons so 'reply to thread' is on the left (the first icon to hit)?

Not sure why the 'post new topic' is even there (I am probably missing something very simple!), but it makes sense to me to have the first one as 'reply'. Cheers!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:05 pm
kimchi wrote:Could you swap the 'post new topic' and 'reply to thread' buttons so 'reply to thread' is on the left (the first icon to hit)?

Not sure why the 'post new topic' is even there (I am probably missing something very simple!), but it makes sense to me to have the first one as 'reply'. Cheers!
Good observation, 

I am on it.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:08 pm
kimchi wrote:Could you swap the 'post new topic' and 'reply to thread' buttons so 'reply to thread' is on the left (the first icon to hit)?

I have had some great minds come to look at this..

Now in THEORY  it is possible. 

However I am playing around. 

I am running this forum in a dark mode and have been doing a few bits of code. See below, Now to give you a idea. I might be able to make it happen but there are no promises. 

Yikes! 

[list=linenums] 
[*]<!-- BEGIN switch_user_authpost -->
[*]         <a href="{U_POST_NEW_TOPIC}" rel="nofollow" {S_POST_NEW_TOPIC} title="{T_POST_NEW_TOPIC}" class="ion-{I_POST_NEW_TOPIC} button1">{L_POST_NEW_TOPIC}</a>
[*]      <!-- END switch_user_authpost -->
[/list]

Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:56 pm
No luck  @Admin?

Strange. It never troubled me before but this last week as I've been on strike I've been on forums a lot, and suddenly this has become a real problem for me, because no other forums have this arrangement. I must have hit the 'Create new topic' instead of 'Reply to thread' at least 10 times.

It's been a real pain in the backside tbh rewriting all those replies.

No criticism if it's too difficult to fix, just saying that if I've found it frustrating no doubt others have too (though I see it's not been mentioned)!

And yes I probably did jinx myself! lol!

Cheers!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:43 pm
you probably did jink yourself bud. 

The coding is messing up a few things. And I am not giving up on it. Just not actively trying to solve it until I know I need a major reset. There is a lot of techy stuff that I hate. But I will try. I have not given up on this issue.

Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:29 pm
Many thanks buddy!

I think it's all the time I have been spending on other forums, it's just not usual to have that there, I just did it again!

What's the name of the forum software? We could try googling an answer to it. If it's paid for there should be some support, if it's free then it'll be on some tech forum somewhere, happy to have a look if you like (just PM me the software details) Smile

Anyway thanks for all your efforts, very thankful that you do all this for the benefit of everyone, and for free too!!!
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum