The Precious Metal Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
ArcaneCollector
ArcaneCollector
Posts : 285
Join date : 2022-06-02
Location : Northamptonshire

It’s a sin (ZI:SIN to be exact) Empty It’s a sin (ZI:SIN to be exact)

Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:57 pm
안녕하세요 (that’s hello). Thanks to @denby for introducing me to the Korean ZI:SIN series and selling me his back catalogue. I really love these coins!

It’s a sin (ZI:SIN to be exact) 2a650310

Admin, Rod Panhard and denby like this post

The Cat's Mother
The Cat's Mother
Moderator
Posts : 1716
Join date : 2021-05-19
Location : UK

It’s a sin (ZI:SIN to be exact) Empty Re: It’s a sin (ZI:SIN to be exact)

Fri Dec 09, 2022 5:06 pm
Cool, you've even got the ghost Scrofa. I always wondered why Korean coins, essentially following the Chinese Lunar cycle, should name them in Latin. Were there any Jesuit missionaries in Korea?

Admin and denby like this post

ArcaneCollector
ArcaneCollector
Posts : 285
Join date : 2022-06-02
Location : Northamptonshire

It’s a sin (ZI:SIN to be exact) Empty Re: It’s a sin (ZI:SIN to be exact)

Fri Dec 09, 2022 5:42 pm
Christianity actually has a big following in Korea. But good point. I thought Latin’s only legitimate use was to make funny Monty Python names.

Admin and denby like this post

The Cat's Mother
The Cat's Mother
Moderator
Posts : 1716
Join date : 2021-05-19
Location : UK

It’s a sin (ZI:SIN to be exact) Empty Re: It’s a sin (ZI:SIN to be exact)

Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:31 pm
No, it's used at Hogwarts too. Expelliarmus!

Admin likes this post

Rod Panhard
Rod Panhard
Posts : 147
Join date : 2021-05-25

It’s a sin (ZI:SIN to be exact) Empty Re: It’s a sin (ZI:SIN to be exact)

Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:18 pm
The Cat's Mother wrote:Cool, you've even got the ghost Scrofa.  I always wondered why Korean coins, essentially following the Chinese Lunar cycle, should name them in Latin. Were there any Jesuit missionaries in Korea?

I was not sure about that Ghost Scrofa, I'm collecting this series and you get one of everything except with the Scrofa where you get a standard Scrofa, a Ghost Scrofa and a Reverse Ghost Scrofa - what's all that about?

Admin and denby like this post

The Cat's Mother
The Cat's Mother
Moderator
Posts : 1716
Join date : 2021-05-19
Location : UK

It’s a sin (ZI:SIN to be exact) Empty Re: It’s a sin (ZI:SIN to be exact)

Sun Dec 11, 2022 10:22 am
@Rod Panhard , if you look at @ArcaneCollector 's photo, the two Scrofa coins are on the right on the first and second rows. The one at the top shows a single figure whereas the one underneath has two, Scrofa on the right and her ghost behind and to the left. I haven't a clue what a reverse ghost Scrofa is, I'd not heard of it before reading your post, and a quick Google search doesn't even mention it, it's all plain ghost.

Admin and denby like this post

ArcaneCollector
ArcaneCollector
Posts : 285
Join date : 2022-06-02
Location : Northamptonshire

It’s a sin (ZI:SIN to be exact) Empty Re: It’s a sin (ZI:SIN to be exact)

Sun Dec 11, 2022 3:23 pm
Rod Panhard wrote:
The Cat's Mother wrote:Cool, you've even got the ghost Scrofa.  I always wondered why Korean coins, essentially following the Chinese Lunar cycle, should name them in Latin. Were there any Jesuit missionaries in Korea?

I was not sure about that Ghost Scrofa, I'm collecting this series and you get one of everything except with the Scrofa where you get a standard Scrofa, a Ghost Scrofa and a Reverse Ghost Scrofa - what's all that about?

ZI:SIN are the Twelve Guardians assigned to protect 12 directions. In the legend, they protect the world against evil forces from 12 directions at all times. This issue features Scrofa, who can duplicate herself to fight against demons.

This “Scrofa Ghost” medal highlights Scrofa’s power to duplicate herself, and features the guardian Scrofa in military dress along with a hooded “ghost” version of herself behind her.
It’s a sin (ZI:SIN to be exact) 82ec0210

Admin and denby like this post

tray
tray
Posts : 495
Join date : 2022-07-02
Age : 51

It’s a sin (ZI:SIN to be exact) Empty Re: It’s a sin (ZI:SIN to be exact)

Sun Dec 11, 2022 3:25 pm
They are a nice set. Haven't seen them before

Admin likes this post

Rod Panhard
Rod Panhard
Posts : 147
Join date : 2021-05-25

It’s a sin (ZI:SIN to be exact) Empty Re: It’s a sin (ZI:SIN to be exact)

Mon Dec 12, 2022 5:51 pm
The Cat's Mother wrote: @Rod Panhard , if you look at  @ArcaneCollector 's photo, the two Scrofa coins are on the right on the first and second rows. The one at the top shows a single figure whereas the one underneath has two, Scrofa on the right and her ghost behind and to the left. I haven't a clue what a reverse ghost Scrofa is, I'd not heard of it before reading your post, and a quick Google search doesn't even mention it, it's all plain ghost.

After loads of searching I found another one, the eclipse Scrofa, I still think there was a reverse ghost scrofa where the solid and ghosted scrofa positions were reversed but I can't find it so I might be going doolally.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/114749183229

Admin likes this post

The Cat's Mother
The Cat's Mother
Moderator
Posts : 1716
Join date : 2021-05-19
Location : UK

It’s a sin (ZI:SIN to be exact) Empty Re: It’s a sin (ZI:SIN to be exact)

Mon Dec 12, 2022 5:58 pm
Just looked at it. It's a proof, and sold by APMEX who don't ship to the UK so if you were minded to indulge you would need a local 'agent'.

Admin likes this post

ArcaneCollector
ArcaneCollector
Posts : 285
Join date : 2022-06-02
Location : Northamptonshire

It’s a sin (ZI:SIN to be exact) Empty Re: It’s a sin (ZI:SIN to be exact)

Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:14 pm
Thanks  @Rod Panhard. I’ve not seen or heard of those versions. Very nice! I’ll add it to my bucket list.

Admin and Rod Panhard like this post

Sponsored content

It’s a sin (ZI:SIN to be exact) Empty Re: It’s a sin (ZI:SIN to be exact)

Back to top
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum