The Precious Metal Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin
https://www.thepreciousmetalforum.com

Can I melt Silver in a burnout furnace?  Empty Can I melt Silver in a burnout furnace?

Tue Jan 03, 2023 7:15 pm
I am glad I filmed some of these steps along the way.
The Cat's Mother
The Cat's Mother

Can I melt Silver in a burnout furnace?  Empty Re: Can I melt Silver in a burnout furnace?

Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:25 am
Not perhaps the results you were hoping for  @Admin , but very instructive and entertaining. It takes a broad back to publicise the disasters as well as the triumphs.  Can I melt Silver in a burnout furnace?  1f63a  Can I melt Silver in a burnout furnace?  1f63a

Admin likes this post

Admin
Admin
Admin

Can I melt Silver in a burnout furnace?  Empty Re: Can I melt Silver in a burnout furnace?

Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:37 am
Thank you, I was looking forward to a new method of making the silver into the moulds but it appears that this is not the case.

However on several groups I am involved in, they often ask. No one has tried so I thought it was best that I could do it and show it off.

I knew it could be risky hence a large warning !!!! Do NOT try this at home!

I just spent all morning cleaning up bits of splattered silver out of my new furnace. nearly 2 grams of waste there. oops.
The Cat's Mother
The Cat's Mother

Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:57 am
Could the cause be pockets of air trapped as the shot melted and fused? I had thought that this is why you tap the mould when pouring, to get the air out and to ensure the silver fully fills all the corners of the mould.
Good luck with the cleaning!  Can I melt Silver in a burnout furnace?  1f638  Can I melt Silver in a burnout furnace?  1f638

Admin and denby like this post

Admin
Admin
Admin

Wed Jan 04, 2023 12:36 pm
No there was no shot in some of them yet all of them were boiling. The video does not do it justice but @Fortune8 got a sneak preview whilst it was happening.

I was well clear and had zoomed in... it was in a full boil for a while... lasted over 10 minutes... and was seriously worried about bursting silver to be shot out across the workshop.

very scary to have happen.

The Cat's Mother
The Cat's Mother

Wed Jan 04, 2023 2:08 pm
Good job you aren't a vampire. The consequences could have been really serious. affraid
Admin
Admin
Admin

Wed Jan 04, 2023 3:01 pm
The Cat's Mother wrote:Good job you aren't a vampire. The consequences could have been really serious. affraid

ummm wrong mythical creature. I can not believe I am correcting you on this. LOL

Warewolf.. hmmm
LOL
The Cat's Mother
The Cat's Mother

Wed Jan 04, 2023 3:55 pm
Admin wrote:
The Cat's Mother wrote:Good job you aren't a vampire. The consequences could have been really serious. affraid

ummm wrong mythical creature. I can not believe I am correcting you on this. LOL

Warewolf.. hmmm
LOL

Both, actually, although silver bullets were traditionally used against werewolves and stakes against vampires, silver was identified by Montague Summers as being effective against vampires.

Admin likes this post

The Cat's Mother
The Cat's Mother

Wed Jan 04, 2023 3:57 pm
And, presumably warewolves are those creatures that live in warehouses?

Admin likes this post

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum