The Precious Metal Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Go down
johnptpd

Refining/Selling Platinum (maybe Rhodeium too) Wire Empty Refining/Selling Platinum (maybe Rhodeium too) Wire

Wed May 17, 2023 3:45 am
New guy here. I inherited some platinum wire recently that might have rhodium, I'm not sure. I was told it's expensive thermocouple wire. Has anyone here worked with Myron's Metals- myronsmetals.com? Their few reviews seem good, but would love anyone's opinion here. I live in the US and would like to work with a company here. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by johnptpd on Wed May 17, 2023 3:47 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : url formatting looked bad. thanks)
Admin
Admin
Admin
https://www.thepreciousmetalforum.com

Refining/Selling Platinum (maybe Rhodeium too) Wire Empty Re: Refining/Selling Platinum (maybe Rhodeium too) Wire

Wed May 17, 2023 11:18 am
johnptpd wrote:New guy here. I inherited some platinum wire recently that might have rhodium, I'm not sure. I was told it's expensive thermocouple wire. Has anyone here worked with Myron's Metals- myronsmetals.com? Their few reviews seem good, but would love anyone's opinion here. I live in the US and would like to work with a company here. Thanks in advance.

I have never worked with them as I am now living in England UK. I also tend to do my own refining of precious metals.

However I would reach out and contact them and discuss your expectations and your needs. See if they can help or not. Some companies can be picky.

But please keep us updated. It sounds interesting. I would love to know what this wire is made of. Platinum with Rhodium wire is used for deep sea, but it is usually just a coating. If it is pure your laughing to the bank.
johnptpd

Refining/Selling Platinum (maybe Rhodeium too) Wire Empty Re: Refining/Selling Platinum (maybe Rhodeium too) Wire

Wed May 17, 2023 4:58 pm
Thanks for the quick response. I spoke with them this morning. Apparently PLatinum Rhodium wire is a thing. The person I inherited the wire from was into science and lab stuff. The guy at Myron's explained that type of wire is used in laboratory and extremely high heat environments. He said in these types of thermocouples, there is typically one wire that is pure platinum and the other is coated or some mix of platinum and rhodium. He said one way to test (though its apparently not 100% accurate) is if one of the wires is softer to bend then the other. Anyway, he seemed like he knew what he was talking about and he said they receive thermocouple wire all the time and purchase it from customers based on xrs and assay results. I weighed it and took photos before sending it in. Excited to see how much its worth. thanks for the advice.

Admin likes this post

Admin
Admin
Admin

Wed May 17, 2023 6:42 pm
johnptpd wrote:Thanks for the quick response. I spoke with them this morning. Apparently PLatinum Rhodium wire is a thing. The person I inherited the wire from was into science and lab stuff. The guy at Myron's explained that type of wire is used in laboratory and extremely high heat environments. He said in these types of thermocouples, there is typically one wire that is pure platinum and the other is coated or some mix of platinum and rhodium. He said one way to test (though its apparently not 100% accurate) is if one of the wires is softer to bend then the other. Anyway, he seemed like he knew what he was talking about and he said they receive thermocouple wire all the time and purchase it from customers based on xrs and assay results. I weighed it and took photos before sending it in. Excited to see how much its worth. thanks for the advice.

You are more than welcome. I know in labs they use a lot of Platinum and Palladium crucibles so that does not come as a major surprise.

Keep us posted and say hi in the Welcome section. Several members gave you a warm welcome.
Very Happy
johnptpd

Refining/Selling Platinum (maybe Rhodeium too) Wire Empty I got paid! Just closing the loop on the thermocouple wire I recycled

Wed Jun 07, 2023 6:48 pm
Turns out it was platinum rhodium thermocouple! I got paid $2,900! I worked with Jeff there and he was great if anyone reading this is looking for a referral.

Admin likes this post

Admin
Admin
Admin

Wed Jun 07, 2023 7:00 pm
johnptpd wrote:Turns out it was platinum rhodium thermocouple! I got paid $2,900! I worked with Jeff there and he was great if anyone reading this is looking for a referral.

That was $2900 more than you had, and it was just wire which could have been thrown away.

A HUGE thank you for keeping me informed and letting me know the outcome.

I am super pleased for you.
The Cat's Mother
The Cat's Mother

Wed Jun 07, 2023 7:15 pm
That's wonderful news, @johnptpd . I'm so glad it wasn't just thrown away as rubbish. Enjoy the proceeds.

Admin likes this post

tray
tray

Wed Jun 07, 2023 7:48 pm
What a result I wouldn't have had a clue what to have done with it. Enjoy the spending

Admin likes this post

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum