The Precious Metal Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Go down

British Bulldog Empty British Bulldog

Sat Jun 03, 2023 7:01 pm
Has anyone ever played British Bulldog in their youth?

During the autumns of my youth, churches got together for harvest rides and other activities. One activity was British Bulldog.

Guys and gals got together on a field and two were picked to be the bulldogs. The bulldogs were positioned in the center of the field and everyone else was positioned at one end of the field. Everyone tried to run past the two bulldogs to the other end without getting caught. When a person got caught, the two bulldogs would pick that person up by the arms and legs and announce, "British Bulldog!"

Now that there were three bulldogs, it would become easier to catch the next person as the game progressed. Some girls were especially competitive as they didn't want to be caught. They would squirm with their arms and legs which made it difficult to pick them up.

The game was fun and fairly mild to play with little chance of getting injured.

British Bulldog Maxres10
The Cat's Mother
The Cat's Mother

British Bulldog Empty Re: British Bulldog

Sat Jun 03, 2023 7:05 pm
You did have an interesting youth @Periodic Table . It's not a game I've ever played, although I can see the attraction in a licensed grab-a-thon.

Bondie likes this post

Sat Jun 03, 2023 7:14 pm
The Cat's Mother wrote:You did have an interesting youth  @Periodic Table . It's not a game I've ever played, although I can see the attraction in a licensed grab-a-thon.

We were good boys and handled the girls properly. Honest I tell you.Very Happy  Besides, adults were always around the activities so that everyone would stay on the straight and narrow. The harvest wagon ride was romantic for me and the girl I was going with all those decades ago.
denby
denby

Sat Jun 03, 2023 11:39 pm
We played this game a lot in the Boy Scouts, in the 1950,s/60's. God we are getting old eh!

Bondie likes this post

Sun Jun 04, 2023 2:23 am
[quote="denby"]We played this game a lot in the Boy Scouts, in the 1950,s/60's. God we are getting old eh![/quote

So true @denby. Many good times playing British Bulldog and other games all those years ago.
ArcaneCollector
ArcaneCollector

Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:23 am
Yes, that was a regular game in my school playground. Being 6’4” and built like a rugby player, I was always the last man standing that no one could bring down. Ok, I wasn’t that big when I was 12 years old, but I was still the tallest kid in my year. I would drag everyone across the line with me (in our version you had to take the person down to the ground). Another game was stingers, where you had to hit someone with a tennis ball and then they were out. A bit like dodgeball.

denby and Bondie like this post

The Cat's Mother
The Cat's Mother

Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:47 am
@ArcaneCollector , maybe you should start identifying as a Megaquokka.

denby, ArcaneCollector and Bondie like this post

Bondie
Bondie

Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:20 pm
I have a vague recollection of British Bulldogs from Primary school days, and also dodge ball  bounce  I think I liked dodge ball best. Life was simpler and more fun then... sigh...

denby likes this post

ArcaneCollector
ArcaneCollector

Sun Jun 04, 2023 3:17 pm
The Cat's Mother wrote: @ArcaneCollector , maybe you should start identifying as a Megaquokka.
I think you are on to something there. Now there’s an idea for a coin series I’d buy.

Megaquokka 
Quokkaladon
Quokkasaurus Rex
Quokkzilla
Quokkamus Prime
Quokkanado
Quokkageddon 
My Little Quokky

(c)arcanecollector

Rod Panhard, denby and Bondie like this post

The Cat's Mother
The Cat's Mother

Sun Jun 04, 2023 3:42 pm
Titanoquokka
Surely: Tyrannoquokka Imperator

ArcaneCollector and Bondie like this post

Sun Jun 04, 2023 4:42 pm
ArcaneCollector wrote:Yes, that was a regular game in my school playground. Being 6’4” and built like a rugby player, I was always the last man standing that no one could bring down. Ok, I wasn’t that big when I was 12 years old, but I was still the tallest kid in my year. I would drag everyone across the line with me (in our version you had to take the person down to the ground). Another game was stingers, where you had to hit someone with a tennis ball and then they were out. A bit like dodgeball.

At 12 years old, I hadn't learned to tackle low in order to clip the runner off their feet. That came later.
Kinda similar to stingers, a flashlight was used in the dark to take out those trying to sneak up on the flashlight user. That was a boy scout game.
Admin
Admin
Admin
https://www.thepreciousmetalforum.com

Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:39 am
It got banned a few years ago from my sons primary school because someone broke a arm.

Yep. Seriously

I wont go into how many stupid things were banned since I was a child. I try to give my boys the same type of experience as I had, so they have knifes.. yes the first one both received was a Swiss army knife ... they are taught how to use them properly.. and clean and sharpen them.. and how to store them.. Obviously storage is somewhere both myself and my wife monitor... They do not bring them outside our garden... It is a tool.

Shooting, they get to shoot when they want, SAFELY at a range... and I have set up a mini range in my garden. Great for perfecting accuracy.

Throwing knifes and axes... yep they do that too safely.. I must take a picture of the genuine targets and how much has been invested in safety... but they don't need to think about that as much as I do... as a legal guardian .

Then my eldest is about to get his learners permit... so guess who will take him out and give him lessons. YES ME. So he can first learn the basics. My Youngest will start Scuba diving soon as well. My eldest needs to finish his 3 dives. But everything is done. My eldest will have a Dry suite cert, a open water cert. by Padi.

My eldest was interested in biking, ( motorcycling ) But does not want a 50cc.a 125 yes but not a stupid 50cc and I am proud. A waste of money and dangerous if you ask me! So he has to wait a year or two .. I can not remember if its 17 or 18 for a 125.

Tig was a game played... thats banned.
conkers has been banned for a while.

I gotta start selling loads of silver stuff I realise now.... I need to buy another car soon... and it has to be a 1 litre engine.. or 1.2 ... looking at fords.

LOL This is the joys of kids growing up.. but also WTF are all these health and safety rules for.. Can we not let our kids get cuts and bruises? FYI saying that I had to call a girls parents last week and tell her mum that she had to go to minor injuries after full contact with polypropylene sword fighting. Yes she broke her finger, but her mother was cool with it... after all it is a safe thing to do... just a slip of her hand and outch.

Ok I lost track, but Brittish bulldog was called something else when I was a kid back in CT usa. not sure what .. but it was.

And to my American friends, full contact Football they are now re-investigating if it is safe for high school kids to play AGAIN. c'mon. let the kids have fun.

Rod Panhard and Bondie like this post

Mon Jun 05, 2023 5:21 pm
Admin wrote:It got banned a few years ago from my sons primary school because someone broke a arm.

Yep. Seriously

I wont go into how many stupid things were banned since I was a child. I try to give my boys the same type of experience as I had, so they have knifes.. yes the first one both received was a Swiss army knife ... they are taught how to use them properly.. and clean and sharpen them.. and how to store them.. Obviously storage is somewhere both myself and my wife monitor... They do not bring them outside our garden... It is a tool.

Shooting, they get to shoot when they want, SAFELY at a range... and I have set up a mini range in my garden. Great for perfecting accuracy.

Throwing knifes and axes... yep they do that too safely.. I must take a picture of the genuine targets and how much has been invested in safety... but they don't need to think about that as much as I do... as a legal guardian .

Then my eldest is about to get his learners permit... so guess who will take him out and give him lessons. YES ME. So he can first learn the basics. My Youngest will start Scuba diving soon as well. My eldest needs to finish his 3 dives. But everything is done. My eldest will have a Dry suite cert, a open water cert. by Padi.

My eldest was interested in biking, ( motorcycling ) But does not want a 50cc.a 125 yes but not a stupid 50cc and I am proud. A waste of money and dangerous if you ask me!  So he has to wait a year or two .. I can not remember if its 17 or 18 for a 125.

Tig was a game played... thats banned.
conkers has been banned for a while.

I gotta start selling loads of silver stuff I realise now.... I need to buy another car soon... and it has to be a 1 litre engine.. or 1.2  ... looking at fords.

LOL This is the joys of kids growing up.. but also WTF are all these health and safety rules for.. Can we not let our kids get cuts and bruises?   FYI saying that I had to call a girls parents last week and tell her mum that she had to go to minor injuries after full contact with polypropylene sword fighting.  Yes she broke her finger, but her mother was cool with it... after all it is a safe thing to do... just a slip of her hand and outch.

Ok I lost track, but Brittish bulldog was called something else when I was a kid back in CT usa.   not sure what .. but it was.

And to my American friends, full contact Football they are now re-investigating if it is safe for high school kids to play AGAIN.  c'mon. let the kids have fun.

@admin,

Thanks for bringing up such restrictions on various games as I had not kept up with these things. I learned to properly use a knife in the Cub Scouts/Boy Scouts. Although I trained with the M16 in the Air Force, I never took to guns, axes or bow and arrows. But I like watching British folks on YouTube who explain and demonstrate those weapons of old. Oh yeah, motorcycles can be a handful.

The last sandlot and street game I'll mention is "I Declare War." I won't go into the details of how it was played but for those who recognize the attached image, they will remember.

British Bulldog I_decl10
Rod Panhard
Rod Panhard

Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:25 pm
I played British Bulldog as a kid with the Boy Scouts, my poor mother had to sew on all the shirt buttons that got pulled off. Clearly I never had my sewing badge or I could have done it myself British Bulldog 1f605 . I dare say health and safety has put paid to it nowadays.

Admin and Bondie like this post

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum