The Precious Metal Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Go down

Ethanol Plant HO Scale Empty Ethanol Plant HO Scale

Sat Jul 15, 2023 3:00 am
If I can't own one, I'll build a model of one.

I put together this ethanol plant about two years ago. Corn is delivered to the plant via rail and truck. The corn is dumped into silos and fed to milling machines where it is ground into meal. The meal then goes through a cooking process where water and enzymes are introduced. The starch from the corn will turn into sugar. The mash will then go to fermentation tanks where yeast will be added to turn the sugar into alcohol. The alcohol is then separated from the remaining stillage and distilled and dehydrated. By law, 2% gasoline is added to the end product to render it undrinkable. The ethanol will be transferred to holding tanks awaiting shipment via the black tank cars.

The remaining stillage will go through a process that separates liquids from solids. The co-products will become distillers wet grain or dry grain and sold to farmers as a supplement for those animals who graze on grass. CO2 is another co-product. Nothing goes to waste.

There is much water used in the process as can be seen with the green pipes. Natural underground water sources as well as city wastewater are treated and recycled in the production of ethanol.

Ethanol Plant HO Scale Img20225
AVG

Ethanol Plant HO Scale Empty Re: Ethanol Plant HO Scale

Sat Jul 15, 2023 3:50 am
Looks great. I had H0's back 1960. No room in my apartment so I went to N gage.
AVG

Sat Jul 15, 2023 4:21 am
AVG wrote:Looks great. I had H0's back 1960. No room in my apartment so I went to N gage.
AVG

I hear you @AVG. That's why my set-up is static.

Seeing that you're from New York, which railroads were your favorites to model? And did you ride any trains while there? I know CSX, NS and FEC are big in Florida.

In 1947, my dad traveled back to Shohola, Pa. from Naval training in Chicago via the Erie Railroad. Because the Shohola train station wasn't a stop for this train, the conductor stopped the train anyway. He saw that my dad was in uniform and thought it was patriotic to let him off instead of going further to Port Jervis, NY. Cool
AVG

Sat Jul 15, 2023 4:37 am
When i was 10 years old i lived in an apartment house looking out my window an elevated train line and below in the street were trolley cars.
The only train i ever was on under the ground called the subway which took me to school when i was 14 years old. When I got married 1959 the
wife and would ride the bus to work or subway. Bought our first car when we were 30 years old. We did not make a lot of money in those days,
AVG

Sat Jul 15, 2023 3:10 pm
AVG wrote:When i was 10 years old i lived in an apartment house looking out my window an elevated train line and below in the street were trolley cars.
The only train i ever was on under the ground called the subway which took me to school when i was 14 years old. When I got married 1959 the
wife and  would ride the bus to work or subway. Bought our first car when we were 30 years old. We did not make a lot of money in those days,
AVG

Though I never experienced riding elevated trains or trolley cars, I like watching old films of them. My oldest brother has never driven a car. He and his wife get around Washington DC using the subway, bus and plenty of walking.
AVG

Sat Jul 15, 2023 3:25 pm
For me I can see all the changes in my life time. For the kids of today they don't know what life was back then. Walking to school every day
in the city over a mile away. No TV and when they came out 10" black & white.
Well getting off the track back to coins I just missed the big show in Florida it was 100 miles away no one wanted to go with me Sad .
AVG

Sat Jul 15, 2023 4:36 pm
Back in my day, we chewed bark off trees a later, had intestinal problems.😄
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum