The Precious Metal Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Go down
tray
tray

Furniture rocking chair Empty Furniture rocking chair

Sat Jul 29, 2023 8:39 pm
I want to pick your lovely brains. I've been asked to research an oak rocking chair. furniture I  have not much of an idea, But I have found out it was made me early 1900s in Merthyr Tydfil so trying to find out by who. I have emailed furniture history society of Wales is a bit of a long shot, but I don't know where else to ask any ideas. To begin with I thought easy, send a picture to my local auction house , They are very good but because it is little value they're not interested. It has no value but hugely sentimental to someone who would like to know the history.
If you can think of anywhere I can ask please let me know cuz I'm a little bit of a loss
The Cat's Mother
The Cat's Mother

Furniture rocking chair Empty Re: Furniture rocking chair

Sat Jul 29, 2023 8:45 pm
Are there any local museums or local history societies that might be able to help or point you in the right direction?

Admin likes this post

tray
tray

Sat Jul 29, 2023 8:47 pm
I tried the furniture society. They haven't got back to me yet. I will look into the local history societies tomorrow. That should be too hard to find. Thanks!
The Cat's Mother
The Cat's Mother

Sat Jul 29, 2023 9:00 pm
There are also books about Welsh country furniture, which is what this chair sounds like. A local library may well be able to find something, and there is an inter-library loan scheme in case one particular local authority's libraries don't have anything in stock. Is the chair's owner still in Wales?

There's also this, which may be going a bit far to buy, but a library may have a copy:

https://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=31553027496&ref_=ps_ggl_2039220669&cm_mmc=ggl-_-UK_Shopp_Tradestandard-_-product_id=UK9780955377310USED-_-keyword=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2MjAytm0gAMVGO7tCh02Vwe7EAQYASABEgIGg_D_BwE

Last edited by The Cat's Mother on Sat Jul 29, 2023 9:06 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added information)

tray likes this post

Admin
Admin
Admin
https://www.thepreciousmetalforum.com

Sun Jul 30, 2023 10:01 am
not sure if this will help.

https://www.lovetoknow.com/home/antiques-collectibles/identifying-old-rocking-chairs

The Cat's Mother and tray like this post

tray
tray

Sun Jul 30, 2023 11:33 am
That's great both of you. Will look on the internet later at these ideas
My sister owns the chair but I've now traced it back to three generations of the family and where it was made so do you have a rough time frame? An elderly uncle remembered where it came from. We spent our childhood playing chicken under the rocker with our fingers. She is going to get it fully restored back to its former glory

Admin and denby like this post

Sun Jul 30, 2023 4:09 pm
Does the underside of the rocker have a manufacturer stamp embedded in the wood?
tray
tray

Sun Jul 30, 2023 4:22 pm
Sis said no but I'm sure there use to be, dad was the last person to lacquer it so could be gone

Admin likes this post

Sun Jul 30, 2023 4:33 pm
tray wrote:Sis said no but I'm sure there use to be, dad was the last person to lacquer it so could be gone

I hear you @tray. The only thing I found was a furniture supplier in Merthyr Tydfil that folded in 2019. It was Triumph Furniture and they were established in 1946. I know that's not the early 1900s but that's the best I could do.

All the best to you in your research.
tray
tray

Sun Jul 30, 2023 4:40 pm
Thank you so much, I have emailed furniture history society and local museum of Merthyr hopefully they can shine some light on it

Admin likes this post

Admin
Admin
Admin
https://www.thepreciousmetalforum.com

Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:39 am
tray wrote:Sis said no but I'm sure there use to be, dad was the last person to lacquer it so could be gone

I bet he gave it a light sand to ensure it adhered to the wood as well. So perhaps it might truly be gone.

I have a rocking chair, I bought it for my wife when she pregnant with our first. It is a antique but is loved. NO idea of age
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum