The Precious Metal Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Go down
Simpsonsfan

VAT on delivery  Empty VAT on delivery

Tue Aug 01, 2023 9:33 am
When buying from EMK in Germany do you pay VAT on delivery ? If so how is it collected. I usually buy from eBay and they automatically collect the VAT. Any tips would be gratefully welcome

Admin likes this post

Admin
Admin
Admin
https://www.thepreciousmetalforum.com

VAT on delivery  Empty Re: VAT on delivery

Tue Aug 01, 2023 10:23 am
Simpsonsfan wrote:When buying from EMK in Germany do you pay VAT on delivery ? If so how is it collected. I usually buy from eBay and they automatically collect the VAT. Any tips would be gratefully welcome

Being 100% honest,

I am shocked about the VAT thing ... Right now I am having a couple orders coming in and I have not been charged VAT. Fully expecting to have to pay and I am not trying to hide anything. These orders have come from NZM, Coin Shoppe, And many more places. I had a order not long ago from a Germany and I did get a VAT bill from Fed X. It came in after the order was completed. I received a Text as I put in my number and I also received a paper invoice in the post. I paid the paper invoice. But I have had some where they sent me a bill before releasing it.

so I am confused... you might or might not get a invoice .... you might get charged.. you may not .. I think the governments at the moment are in chaos. Twisted Evil

denby likes this post

The Cat's Mother
The Cat's Mother

Tue Aug 01, 2023 10:36 am
Below a certain limit it's collected by the seller. After that it's paid by the purchaser. The customs declaration on the parcel tells HMRC the value and they act accordingly. It's a fairly low limit, which I can't bring to mind at the moment. I did post about it a few months ago, and have just trawled through all my back posts, but can't find it. Have a go and see what happens.

Admin and denby like this post

Rod Panhard
Rod Panhard

Tue Aug 01, 2023 11:23 am
The UK have tightened up on VAT and import charges, even on the likes of Aliexpress now you pay the VAT up front now gone are the days of them putting a lower value on the customs delarations or marking it down as a gift or sample. This is at the request of the UK government. I ordered from the Coin Shoppe in Canada as well and was only charged 30 CAD for delivery which is £17.65 so seems reasonable, there was no mention of any additional charges.
I think the coof coof put loads of strain on the customs department and loads of stuff is just being waved through nowadays though as they don't have the time or manpower to handlethe backlog.

denby
denby

Tue Aug 01, 2023 4:28 pm
The EU is 20 Euros for collectibles if you are not going to get a VAT bill. The royal Mail charges £8 fee to collect the VAT for Rishi and his gang.

Admin, Rod Panhard and Simpsonsfan like this post

Simpsonsfan

Tue Aug 01, 2023 6:43 pm
Looks like my best option is to buy the coin I’m after from EMK on eBay as it’s only £5.00 more than their website eBay will collect the VAT so I’ll still be £3.00 better off.

Admin likes this post

The Cat's Mother
The Cat's Mother

Tue Aug 01, 2023 6:58 pm
Simpsonsfan wrote:Looks like my best option is to buy the coin I’m after from EMK on eBay as it’s only £5.00 more than their website eBay will collect the VAT so I’ll still be £3.00 better off.

Could be. Check the postage as well, it may be cheaper for that too.
What coin are you looking at?

Admin likes this post

Simpsonsfan

Tue Aug 01, 2023 7:10 pm
Sally and Love is eternal from the nightmare before Christmas series. I managed to get Jack and Oogie from UK they arrived this morning. EMK made me an offer on eBay that’s not a lot more than their website so I think I’ll go down that route

Admin likes this post

The Cat's Mother
The Cat's Mother

Tue Aug 01, 2023 7:28 pm
Go for it. EMK are a good firm, and I like dealing with them. The postage doesn't look much different from the website either.
I enjoyed the film, and it was fun looking at the various coins.

Admin and Simpsonsfan like this post

Tue Aug 01, 2023 8:33 pm
Rod Panhard wrote:The UK have tightened up on VAT and import charges, even on the likes of Aliexpress now you pay the VAT up front now gone are the days of them putting a lower value on the customs delarations or marking it down as a gift or sample.  This is at the request of the UK government.  I ordered from the Coin Shoppe in Canada as well and was only charged 30 CAD for delivery which is £17.65 so seems reasonable, there was no mention of any additional charges.
I think the coof coof put loads of strain on the customs department and loads of stuff is just being waved through nowadays though as they don't have the time or manpower to handlethe backlog.

Excellent summary as far as I can tell. I sold a diecast model aircraft to a repeat customer in the UK. He said he was hit by Customs this time. Other times, he said he's not. Just a hit and miss thing for him.
It's easy to see that VAT brings in a lot of money for the government. So I wouldn't consider that they'd ever give it up.
Simpsonsfan

Fri Sep 15, 2023 7:03 pm
Interesting turn up regards VAT and import fees I’ve now had two orders from EMK Germany and was expecting to pay around £130 VAT in total but coins have been delivered and no mention of anything to pay but a friend of mine also ordered from EMK the same day and his coins are being held by FedEx until he pays the VAT and import fees. Looks like it is a bit of hit and miss.

Admin and Rod Panhard like this post

Rod Panhard
Rod Panhard

Fri Sep 15, 2023 8:14 pm
Simpsonsfan wrote:Interesting turn up regards VAT and import fees I’ve now had two orders from EMK Germany and was expecting to pay around £130 VAT in total but coins have been delivered and no mention of anything to pay but a friend of mine also ordered from EMK the same day and his coins are being held by FedEx until he pays the VAT and import fees. Looks like it is a bit of hit and miss.

Fedex are brutal, there's usually no escaping tax and fees with them, last couple of watches I bought were delivered by Fedex and they wanted payment up front for the tax and their handling fee.

Admin
Admin
Admin
https://www.thepreciousmetalforum.com

Sun Sep 17, 2023 1:43 pm
The Vat issue is very hit and miss. I always expect to pay VAT.

I am never thinking how can I get away without paying it. But I have to admit the odd ones that never got billed or charged for... have felt great.

denby likes this post

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum