The Precious Metal Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin
https://www.thepreciousmetalforum.com

Achilles Legendary Warriors Empty Achilles Legendary Warriors

Wed Aug 16, 2023 1:12 pm
Pinehurst Coins reached out and contacted me saying they are the unknown mint. WOW

The Cat's Mother, Rod Panhard and AVG like this post

The Cat's Mother
The Cat's Mother

Achilles Legendary Warriors Empty Re: Achilles Legendary Warriors

Wed Aug 16, 2023 2:30 pm
Well, I'm quite glad I decided against this series now I know there are going to be 15 of them. At least there is an end in sight! For collection purposes,  if they are going in a display box it might be good to get one duplicate and show off the reverse as well as the 15 obverses.
I reckon the background is Troy following the success of the Greek siege. Achilles didn't exactly behave very well there: he was so ticked off about having to hand over his spoils of war slave girl Briseis to Agamemnon that he retired to his tent and sulked, refusing to fight and nearly leading to the Greeks losing the war. He only came out when his bosom companion Patroclus was killed by the Trojan prince Hector. From that derives our saying that someone 'retired to their tent', meaning went off in a sulk.
Good to know about the 1/2 ounce coloured rabbit. It's been showing as coming soon on the EMK website for a few days now so I reckoned Martin would not be far behind. I haven't been pestering Martin, honest. Wouldn't dream of it.  Achilles Legendary Warriors 1f63d

Admin and tray like this post

Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:00 pm
TCM,
Thanks for providing history following the Greek siege. From multiple site diggings of the area, some scholars speculate the legend of Troy could have a kernel of truth to it. Anyway, it's interesting to imagine.
The Cat's Mother
The Cat's Mother

Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:55 pm
Yes,  @Periodic Table , starting with Schliemann's excavations in the 19th century and continuing from there. Schliemann was right in principle, but hopelessly wrong in practice: the level he excavated postdated the Trojan War by some time, and the gold he identified as Helen's jewellery was really nothing of the sort.
Fun fact: at the site of Troy, in Turkey, there is a massive wooden horse - modern, obviously, and there was a gorgeous little cat that followed visitors around.

Admin likes this post

Wed Aug 16, 2023 11:26 pm
Thank you for these details TCM. I've always wanted to visit such ancient sites. Possibly in the near future. ✈

In the meantime, I enjoy learning a little about them though correspondence from this site, YouTube videos and some reading.
Rod Panhard
Rod Panhard

Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:01 am
!5 coins, oh my poor wallet.  Looks like Pinehurst Coins have the rights to be the main distrubutor and it's the Silvertowne Mint that produces them.  I see they are also selling slabbed guilded vestions as well with NGCs new NGCX MS10 labels.

https://pinehurstcoins.com/silver/legendary-warriors

Admin likes this post

Thu Aug 17, 2023 12:23 pm
Rod Panhard wrote:!5 coins, oh my poor wallet.  Looks like Pinehurst Coins have the rights to be the main distrubutor and it's the Silvertowne Mint that produces them.  I see they are also selling slabbed guilded vestions as well with NGCs new NGCX MS10 labels.

Rod, correct me if I'm wrong but NGC's new NGCX appears to be a money grab.
Rod Panhard
Rod Panhard

Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:08 pm
Periodic Table wrote:
Rod Panhard wrote:!5 coins, oh my poor wallet.  Looks like Pinehurst Coins have the rights to be the main distrubutor and it's the Silvertowne Mint that produces them.  I see they are also selling slabbed guilded vestions as well with NGCs new NGCX MS10 labels.

Rod, correct me if I'm wrong but NGC's new NGCX appears to be a money grab.

It does appear to be a money grab, I was under the impression this was what stuff like comic books and Pokemon cards were graded as.  The coin grading that already exists seems perfectly fine to me.

Admin likes this post

Admin
Admin
Admin

Thu Aug 17, 2023 7:59 pm
What is up with this 10 grade?

I am even more confused than I was before. This 10 grade system seems to dumb it down but then in my opinion make it much worse.

Rod Panhard likes this post

Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:28 pm
Admin wrote:What is up with this 10 grade?

I am even more confused than I was before. This 10 grade system seems to dumb it down but then in my opinion make it much worse.

Honestly, I thought NGC and PCGS only graded government related coins. Not coins from a private mint. How does one establish the measurable factors for such coins?  Doesn't make sense at all.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Fri Aug 18, 2023 9:43 am
Periodic Table wrote:
Admin wrote:What is up with this 10 grade?

Honestly, I thought NGC and PCGS only graded government related coins. Not coins from a private mint. How does one establish the measurable factors for such coins?  Doesn't make sense at all.

Heck no, NGC or was it PGCS one of them grades even poured silver.. Now tell me that is F...d up..

I can send in a pour of mine and ask them to grade it. Seriously I have no idea.

I seen loaf bars done, and no it was not a practical joke either.

Fri Aug 18, 2023 2:46 pm
Admin wrote:

Heck no, NGC or was it PGCS  one of them grades even poured silver.. Now tell me that is F...d up..

I can send in a pour of mine and ask them to grade it. Seriously I have no idea.

I seen loaf bars done, and no it was not a practical joke either.

I'd like to be a fly on their wall just to see how they grade these bars. 🤪
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum