The Precious Metal Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Go down
monkey
monkey

Creative Minds Hangout Empty Creative Minds Hangout

Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:20 pm
Hey thought I would start a new topic if I may be so bold?

Just an open space to post pictures or voice thoughts on projects your working on or thinking of starting at some point.

I'm a bit of a creative and looking to take my first steps into playing with silver. This Christmas I'm looking at toning some 1oz silver pieces and making them into a key fob or charm that can be clipped onto a bag.

One of my other ideas is to make fine silver bars based on an automotive theme. first idea is of a bar based on an Aston Martin DB5 (hopefully the image is attached)

Creative Minds Hangout Combin11

I have also designed and commissioned a couple of wedding and engagement rings.

Admin, tray, Silverlocks and AVG like this post

The Cat's Mother
The Cat's Mother

Creative Minds Hangout Empty Re: Creative Minds Hangout

Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:37 pm
Wow. Even I can appreciate those @monkey

Admin and monkey like this post

monkey
monkey

Thu Nov 30, 2023 3:12 pm
Thanks  @The Cat's Mother  ! that's a rough concept, there would be lots to consider and develop if it were to be molded. I can see a few places where the mold wouldn't be able to pull of the casting or if sand cast, the pattern would tear out the sand. It would be nice to work out a way of doing it. Even better if people wanted to get some too  Creative Minds Hangout 1f60a

Last edited by monkey on Thu Nov 30, 2023 3:40 pm; edited 2 times in total

Admin likes this post

Thu Nov 30, 2023 3:15 pm
Double Wow! Beautiful creation. I love the automotive theme.
monkey
monkey

Thu Nov 30, 2023 3:22 pm
Periodic Table wrote:Double Wow! Beautiful creation. I love the automotive theme.

Thanks! unfortunately its all digital at the moment. I need to look into investing in the kit to pour it my self or see if I could collaborate with somebody.

Admin likes this post

Silverlocks
Silverlocks

Thu Nov 30, 2023 5:57 pm
monkey wrote:
Periodic Table wrote:Double Wow! Beautiful creation. I love the automotive theme.

Thanks! unfortunately its all digital at the moment. I need to look into investing in the kit to pour it my self or see if I could collaborate with somebody.

I think you can get a furnace and crucible for just a few hundred quid - here's one on special.

https://uk.vevor.com/melting-furnace-c_11137/vevor-6kg-gas-metal-melting-furnace-propane-forge-copper-silver-crucible-w-tong-p_010233051192

My gut instinct is that you could probably get the setup to melt the silver yourself pretty cheaply.  That leaves mastering the item in wax, buying some casting sand and making up a former for the moulds.

You might also want to get kit to burnish/polish the finished item.  For smaller castings, a tumbler might do the trick -

https://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery-Tools/Barrel-Tumbling-Machine-3lb-With---Metal-Polishing-Kit-prcode-999-600K

You'll also need some safety equipment and other bits and bobs, but I don't think it's more than a sov or two worth in total.

monkey likes this post

monkey
monkey

Thu Nov 30, 2023 8:25 pm
Silverlocks wrote:

I think you can get a furnace and crucible for just a few hundred quid - here's one on special.

https://uk.vevor.com/melting-furnace-c_11137/vevor-6kg-gas-metal-melting-furnace-propane-forge-copper-silver-crucible-w-tong-p_010233051192

My gut instinct is that you could probably get the setup to melt the silver yourself pretty cheaply.  That leaves mastering the item in wax, buying some casting sand and making up a former for the moulds.

You might also want to get kit to burnish/polish the finished item.  For smaller castings, a tumbler might do the trick -

https://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery-Tools/Barrel-Tumbling-Machine-3lb-With---Metal-Polishing-Kit-prcode-999-600K

You'll also need some safety equipment and other bits and bobs, but I don't think it's more than a sov or two worth in total.

Thanks I'll look into these. Though I dont ave any sov's to buy with at the moment  Creative Minds Hangout 1f605

I think if I can find some one I can meet with face to face to have a good talk about casting and the techniques they use would be good. I would like to have a go or see in front of me someone casting before I dive into buying all the kit. Also just getting ready to sell the home, so prob best for me to wait till I have a space to perform some silver magic.
Admin
Admin
Admin
https://www.thepreciousmetalforum.com

Fri Dec 01, 2023 1:11 pm
monkey wrote:

I can print it and cast it.

It is something I do all the time.

I have my resin castable printer right here and I can print one off in no time.

Send me a pm bud. I am happy to chat.

monkey likes this post

monkey
monkey

Thu Dec 07, 2023 4:09 pm
Just dug out some images of the engagement ring I designed for my wife back in 2013. This was a fun project, I also designed a fancy ring box for it too!

This was 3D printed in a wax or resin then investment cast. The jeweler was a pleasure to work with and said it was the first ring he had made that came in a kit form. the design was comprised of 6 separate cast parts of yellow gold and platinum that were then laser welded together.

Creative Minds Hangout Ring_d11
Creative Minds Hangout Raw_ca10
Creative Minds Hangout Img_0810

Admin, The Cat's Mother, AceBullion, ArcaneCollector and Silverlocks like this post

The Cat's Mother
The Cat's Mother

Thu Dec 07, 2023 4:36 pm
Nice centre stone. Is it a sapphire or tanzanite?
monkey
monkey

Thu Dec 07, 2023 5:11 pm
Thanks  @The Cat's Mother
Its a sapphire center stone, with 6 small diamonds round the outside.
monkey
monkey

Thu Dec 07, 2023 5:12 pm
I'll see if I can find an image of the finished ring Smile
The Cat's Mother
The Cat's Mother

Thu Dec 07, 2023 5:31 pm
monkey wrote:I'll see if I can find an image of the finished ring Smile

That would be interesting. I wondered about the stone as it seemed quite light in colour, but not enough for a Sri Lankan sapphire, but colours change in photographs.

Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:36 pm
Outstanding work on the ring 💍
Silverlocks
Silverlocks

Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:44 pm
The Cat's Mother wrote:
monkey wrote:I'll see if I can find an image of the finished ring Smile

That would be interesting. I wondered about the stone as it seemed quite light in colour, but not enough for a Sri Lankan sapphire, but colours change in photographs.

I had so many trials and tribulations getting colours to look decent until I worked out how to calibrate my camera.  Gold really confuses the software that auto-calibrates the colour temperate on digital cameras.

AceBullion and monkey like this post

Admin
Admin
Admin

Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:13 am
I love it and I get my Jewellers Welder for Xmas... I know I shouldn't know but I know.

LOL The last thing on my list in case you all want to save up for me is a £3000 laser engraver for metals.

Yes i am buying one of those too.

But that is stunning and looks great. His bench has clearly been used plenty. My cutting arm is like a baby, smooth and not taken the abuse like his... He will soon need a replace bit of wood for the sawing and drilling.

monkey likes this post

monkey
monkey

Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:32 am
I should think its been replaced several times over since 2013 Creative Minds Hangout 1f602

Admin likes this post

Admin
Admin
Admin

Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:38 am
YIKES

I am gathering as much 9ct gold as possible to do my practicing on Gold jewellery before I move onto Pure 999 Gold.

Although I might just stick to 22ct max. Hmmm Tough call.

I need more 9ct gold... lol. I keep searching.
monkey
monkey

Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:46 am
Is working with gold quite different to working with silver?

Also is there much difference between grades? Obviously 24ct will be more malleable then 9ct.

Admin likes this post

Admin
Admin
Admin

Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:52 am
monkey wrote:Is working with gold quite different to working with silver?

Also is there much difference between grades? Obviously 24ct will be more malleable then 9ct.

Yes big difference. temperatures needed to move or shape it. and I can not use the same tools. The same furnace etc.

Some things I can share but I do not want to contaminate the two.

monkey likes this post

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum