The Precious Metal Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Go down

Choose your mint.

5 - 100%
0 - 0%

Total Votes: 5
5 posters

Admin
Admin
Admin
https://www.thepreciousmetalforum.com

Which mint do you prefer right now.  Empty Which mint do you prefer right now.

Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:10 am
I ask this because I suspect the Le Grand Mint to excel sooner than later. The Germania Mint are in first in my books. But only by a slim margin.

Why am i saying this.  Germania Mint has made a few blunders. The Runes for one. Which they are carrying on with. But also the really high premiums.

Le Grand Mint are producing some Amazing Ultra high relief items and great value for money.

So which mint  your vote?
Silverlocks
Silverlocks

Which mint do you prefer right now.  Empty Re: Which mint do you prefer right now.

Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:43 pm
The only LGM coins I've got are the Durgas.  Most of the others are rather dear proofs.  If they made a bunch of BU stuff at the same price point as the Durgas I'd be an instant LGM fanboy.

Germania have been a bit hit and miss lately, but I actually like the third Valkyries, and the Knights of the Past series is my all-time fave.

Perth mint make a lot of fabulous stuff - I could spend a lot of money on Perth Mint.  I think they're the best of the state mints.

RAM also produce quite a bit of interesting collectible silver as well, although perhaps not quite so prolific as Perth Mint.

KOMSCO would be the runner up to the state mints.  I like the manga vibe of their Chiwoo and Zi Shin designs, and the tigers are also fab.

Casa de Moneia de Mexico make the Libertad, which is a very nice design, perhaps my #2 favourite state bullion behind Perth Mint.  They don't seem to make a terribly great variety outside Libertads, but the 20 and 50 peso circulated coins are nice designs and very much on my hit list.

RCM make quite a lot of collectibles, but they don't seem to turn up here very much.  A nice 1oz gold maple is one for my hit list, though.

Every now and then I browse CIT's web site, and then decide that 300 Euros is too much to spend on a 2 or 3oz silver coin.  They do a lot of nice designs, though.

I have a few of Pressburg's designs, but I think they're a bit of an acquired taste and the strike wasn't anything special.

Back in 1817, the Sovereign was a step change in minting technology, and the Royal Mint got a well-deserved reputation for their quality control.  Today the RM have .. a well-deserved reputation for their quality control.  I'm enough of a nerd to enjoy sovereigns, though.

Whatever you might think of American foreign policy, the U.S. Mint has a nice strike on their coins.  They don't have a huge variety, but they do make a few interesting proofs.  I'd like to get hold of one of the black Liberty proofs at some point.

Some of the other German outfits - the names temporarily escape me - make nice designs like the Armenian Ark, and the Somalian and Rwandan wildlife coins.  Their websites tend to be a bit coy around their ranges, so perhaps a bit of research and a video introducing some of those outfits to the world might be a win.

Some of the other state mints might be worth exploring as well.  Monnaie de Paris actually make various collectibles that never seem to turn up here, including an Asterix ranage.  The Spanish mint make the Lynx and Bull, but I'm not sure what else.  Muenze Osterrich also makes a fair bit of stuff that hardly ever turns up here.  I wouldn't be surprised to find various other European mints produce interesting odds and sods if you could find them.  I've not tried buying directly from European dealers yet, but I have been considering it.

The American private mints produce an awful lot of tat, but there are some gems that come out of America.  Maybe a survey of some of the nicer items, along with a treatment of how to get hold of them might be a possibility?

NZ Mint isn't actually a state minting company, but a private minting outfit.  New Zealand doesn't have a state mint, and just tenders out the coinage every few years.  However, they seem to produce a large variety of stuff.  Their strike isn't up to Perth Mint's standard, but they seem to produce quite a lot of stuff.

Admin likes this post

Admin
Admin
Admin
https://www.thepreciousmetalforum.com

Which mint do you prefer right now.  Empty Re: Which mint do you prefer right now.

Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:02 am
Silverlocks wrote:The only LGM coins I've got are the Durgas.  Most of the others are rather dear proofs.  If they made a bunch of BU stuff at the same price point as the Durgas I'd be an instant LGM fanboy.

Germania have been a bit hit and miss lately, but I actually like the third Valkyries, and the Knights of the Past series is my all-time fave.

Perth mint make a lot of fabulous stuff - I could spend a lot of money on Perth Mint.  I think they're the best of the state mints.

RAM also produce quite a bit of interesting collectible silver as well, although perhaps not quite so prolific as Perth Mint.

KOMSCO would be the runner up to the state mints.  I like the manga vibe of their Chiwoo and Zi Shin designs, and the tigers are also fab.

Casa de Moneia de Mexico make the Libertad, which is a very nice design, perhaps my #2 favourite state bullion behind Perth Mint.  They don't seem to make a terribly great variety outside Libertads, but the 20 and 50 peso circulated coins are nice designs and very much on my hit list.

RCM make quite a lot of collectibles, but they don't seem to turn up here very much.  A nice 1oz gold maple is one for my hit list, though.

Every now and then I browse CIT's web site, and then decide that 300 Euros is too much to spend on a 2 or 3oz silver coin.  They do a lot of nice designs, though.

I have a few of Pressburg's designs, but I think they're a bit of an acquired taste and the strike wasn't anything special.

Back in 1817, the Sovereign was a step change in minting technology, and the Royal Mint got a well-deserved reputation for their quality control.  Today the RM have .. a well-deserved reputation for their quality control.  I'm enough of a nerd to enjoy sovereigns, though.

Whatever you might think of American foreign policy, the U.S. Mint has a nice strike on their coins.  They don't have a huge variety, but they do make a few interesting proofs.  I'd like to get hold of one of the black Liberty proofs at some point.

Some of the other German outfits - the names temporarily escape me - make nice designs like the Armenian Ark, and the Somalian and Rwandan wildlife coins.  Their websites tend to be a bit coy around their ranges, so perhaps a bit of research and a video introducing some of those outfits to the world might be a win.

Some of the other state mints might be worth exploring as well.  Monnaie de Paris actually make various collectibles that never seem to turn up here, including an Asterix ranage.  The Spanish mint make the Lynx and Bull, but I'm not sure what else.  Muenze Osterrich also makes a fair bit of stuff that hardly ever turns up here.  I wouldn't be surprised to find various other European mints produce interesting odds and sods if you could find them.  I've not tried buying directly from European dealers yet, but I have been considering it.

The American private mints produce an awful lot of tat, but there are some gems that come out of America.  Maybe a survey of some of the nicer items, along with a treatment of how to get hold of them might be a possibility?

NZ Mint isn't actually a state minting company, but a private minting outfit.  New Zealand doesn't have a state mint, and just tenders out the coinage every few years.  However, they seem to produce a large variety of stuff.  Their strike isn't up to Perth Mint's standard, but they seem to produce quite a lot of stuff.

I feel this needs a much more in depth answer than what I am going to give it right now.
I agree. I really do, there are so many others to factor, and when one looks at the main mints and state mints etc. there can be good healthy competition .

I will come back to it when I am not doing reaserach and writing up my video for the day.
But yeah... I need to respond to this i more depth.. @tray remind me to please.

tray likes this post

Silverlocks
Silverlocks

Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:11 am
It's certainly not an agenda by any means, nor is it anything close to a comprehensive list.  But, if you can find some topics there that might make for a good video, well, happy days.

Admin likes this post

The Cat's Mother
The Cat's Mother

Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:18 am
I love Intaglio Mint issues, but they are a bit hard to come by over here. Le Grand Mint does do it for me though, although the recent Downies issues have been superb.

Admin and Silverlocks like this post

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum