The Precious Metal Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Go down
Mcb2007
Mcb2007

What’s the difference Empty What’s the difference

Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:42 pm
As per title , between a round and the bullion coins or even semis . When I first started out buying I was told to stay clear of the rounds as they would be harder to move on . But the more I see of them there are some nice aesthetically pleasing examples.
He told me it was because the rounds have no currency mark , is that a load of guff or some amount of truth .

PS I told you I was new Embarassed

Admin likes this post

The Cat's Mother
The Cat's Mother

What’s the difference Empty Re: What’s the difference

Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:10 pm
That is basically it. Coins are minted by or on behalf of a government, are legal tender and have a face value in a recognised currency. The legal tender point is a bit of a sideshow, as nobody in their right mind would offer up a silver coin for its face value, and you are very unlikely to find them in your change. Rounds are of a similar status to bars, although they do tend to be round. They also, as you have noticed, can be absolutely beautiful and carry a pretty high premium. There are some stunning rounds on the market, and I am very happy to have rounds in my collection.

Mcb2007 likes this post

Mcb2007
Mcb2007

Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:25 pm
Thank you for throwing some light on the subject I appreciate that ,TCM
Admin
Admin
Admin
https://www.thepreciousmetalforum.com

Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:14 am
My honest view and recommendation to ANY new or existing stacker is this.

Buy what ever you can that is CHEAP and Affordable! Rounds or Coins. Why because you are adding Weight to your stack. Even a Premium coin might only fetch SPOT price if it turns out to be a dud later down the road.

At the end of the day it is only what someone is willing to pay. Bear in mind that I Melt bullion, So I am always on the hunt for cheap pure bullion. Spot price is a joke in the UK. We NEVER pay this!!! We are taxed and then premiums are added.

So the end of the day say you have a 1oz generic round, in Good condition... You can sell that for £23-£25 if it is a basic design and postage to be added on top of that.
Yes you heard me right.

Now selling a Coin.. hmm depends but at the worst case scenario ie it milked up. You will get the same price for that!

So buy what you like and only buy what you can afford.
Stack safely and do not over spend. It is soo easy to do that. Been there done that.

I also suggest you consider putting aside a small amount to buy fractional 1/10th oz Gold Britannia's but keep a eye open for the 9999 versions and not the 22ct older ones. Anything over 2017 is fine.

Buy Gold in small amounts and keep stacking them. Then you can move onto phase 3 which is Platinum .
Assuming your looking for long term stacking advice here.

If not ignore the second and 3rd phase and pile on that silver! I also suggest you do NOT buy poured Silver!!! Yes AceBullion ( my alt account ) says do not buy this is your stacking. Most of what I do is ART but is Hallmarked. I do make bars, and they are fine for stacking. And you will get your money back. Especially if they are milky or damaged silver pieces. But only buy bars, Art is for those who want to have something different to their collections.

If you want more tips and suggestions for stacking in the UK I am always to hand. I have been doing this for decades. And I am scared at my results. Some have done better !!! And I don't mind saying that Flipping or Selling on coins for a profit helps them grow their stacks easily.

I just have never been the sales person type. Hence my Q&A about new stackers not buying my poured pieces.

But there you go.
Have fun and enjoy what you buy. You wont have regrets down the line if you follow the above.

dingy1688 and Mcb2007 like this post

ShortJohnSilver
ShortJohnSilver

Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:33 am
Just a quick question on this topic...

Are Germania Mint items, prior to the "Knights of the Past", rounds of coins...?
They are 5 Marks, which I am assuming intimates they are related to the Deutschmark (DM) which wasn't extant when the items were made... 🤔

Admin likes this post

Admin
Admin
Admin
https://www.thepreciousmetalforum.com

Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:25 pm
ShortJohnSilver wrote:Just a quick question on this topic...

Are Germania Mint items, prior to the "Knights of the Past", rounds of coins...?
They are 5 Marks, which I am assuming intimates they are related to the Deutschmark (DM) which wasn't extant when the items were made... 🤔

Great question.

They are infact Rounds !!!! They have just partnered up with another company and are making Coins. But the old Mark coins/Rounds were infract Rounds.

But people are often overlooking the fact that most coins unless Canadian, UK or American are really not worth a penny in actual money.

However it does lead to more sales. WHY ... as I mentioned above .... just buy what you like! it is Bullion after all.

ShortJohnSilver and Mcb2007 like this post

JOS WRSM
JOS WRSM
https://www.wwp-diemen.nl/

Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:44 pm
I have currently stopped purchasing silver and am now focusing on fractional 1/4th oz Gold. But I will certainly not forget silver.

Admin and Mcb2007 like this post

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum