The Precious Metal Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Go down

The Alderney Gothic Crown 2021 (Commonwealth Mint - Jody Clark 'gothic' QEII Obverse) Empty The Alderney Gothic Crown 2021 (Commonwealth Mint - Jody Clark 'gothic' QEII Obverse)

Wed May 11, 2022 7:20 pm
Prompted by a friendly exchange on Youtube (and hoping to greet a new forum member here as a result Smile ), I would like to share one of the prides of my collection - the 2021 Alderney Gothic Crown two coin set.

The Royal Mint version has Jody Clark's definitive 2015 fifth portrait of Queen Elizabeth II on the obverse, as have all Royal Mint Coins since. Probably the most famous example, and one of the most acclaimed set in recent years, is the Queens Beasts series. I have some here, although I am sure we can all agree that Jody Clark's fifth portrait is on them all as the obverse without me having to post pictures of those.

However Jody Clark moved to the Commonwealth Mint in 2020, and for the Alderney 2021 Gothic Crown release designed a new 'gothic' portrait of QEII as a one-off Obverse for this special two coin set.

I will shortly present a photo or two of this set. I hope all can enjoy, and look forward to any comments or questions Smile
MrPorsche

The Alderney Gothic Crown 2021 (Commonwealth Mint - Jody Clark 'gothic' QEII Obverse) Empty Re: The Alderney Gothic Crown 2021 (Commonwealth Mint - Jody Clark 'gothic' QEII Obverse)

Wed May 11, 2022 7:28 pm
I started to understand why our views differ. I have been talking about the coins produced by the Royal Mint while you seem to be comapring the Alderney coins.

The Alderney Gothic Crown 2021 (Commonwealth Mint - Jody Clark 'gothic' QEII Obverse) Qqio2013

Admin likes this post

The Alderney Gothic Crown 2021 (Commonwealth Mint - Jody Clark 'gothic' QEII Obverse) Empty Re: The Alderney Gothic Crown 2021 (Commonwealth Mint - Jody Clark 'gothic' QEII Obverse)

Wed May 11, 2022 7:40 pm
Yes! That is what I said from the start on that comment section on Youtube! I even posted a link to the coin!

But, I have taken some pictures now, would you like to see them (I will need a few minutes, technology is not my strong point LOL)? Even if not you have taken the trouble to sign up to discuss this and shown good faith, I hope you will stick around the forum as you clearly love your coins and there is much we can all learn from each other Smile
The Cat's Mother
The Cat's Mother

Wed May 11, 2022 7:52 pm
Just to confuse matters further, Jody Clark also designed the Queen's portrait on the EIC St. Helena Gothic Crown. It is also different to the Queen's Beasts, but whether it is different from the Alderney version, I can't say. I've put a link below.

https://www.theeastindiacompany.com/bullion/2022-masterpiece-gothic-crown-1oz-silver-proof-coin/

Admin likes this post

Wed May 11, 2022 8:01 pm
The Cat's Mother wrote:Just to confuse matters further, Jody Clark also designed the Queen's portrait on the EIC St. Helena Gothic Crown.  It is also different to the Queen's Beasts, but whether it is different from the Alderney version, I can't say. I've put a link below.

https://www.theeastindiacompany.com/bullion/2022-masterpiece-gothic-crown-1oz-silver-proof-coin/

Many thanks! That is a completely different Jody Clark design, used on many other coins as we all know, and not specifically made for this coin. The RM version Obverse is the same - i.e. it is generic.

This one is the only one with this special, one-off design. I apologise for the photos but I had to use a flash, but you get the idea:

The Alderney Gothic Crown 2021 (Commonwealth Mint - Jody Clark 'gothic' QEII Obverse) Gothic10

Wed May 11, 2022 8:14 pm
The Alderney Gothic Crown 2021 (Commonwealth Mint - Jody Clark 'gothic' QEII Obverse) Gothic11
The Cat's Mother
The Cat's Mother

Wed May 11, 2022 8:24 pm
They are really quite something. Mr. Clark has obviously had his work cut out. queen

Admin likes this post

Wed May 11, 2022 8:27 pm
The Cat's Mother wrote:They are really quite something. Mr. Clark has obviously had his work cut out. queen

I think he did a super job with QEII here, it's just so fitting that he was able to do this for the Gothic Crown, it's beautiful <3
The Cat's Mother
The Cat's Mother

Wed May 11, 2022 8:47 pm
Giving both Queens matching crowns was a really nice touch.

Admin likes this post

Wed May 11, 2022 9:15 pm
The Cat's Mother wrote:Giving both Queens matching crowns was a really nice touch.

You have an exceptional eye for detail (even through my poor 'photography')!

What is also very nice about this version I think is that the reverse has the original year on it in Roman Numerals. The Royal Mint has last year's date (or this, I forget when they released theirs). That is also very cool, but I think I prefer this one.

However, they did make a spelling mistake in the Latin on the reverse - I don't know how on earth they managed to do that but - D'OH!

I suspect the Royal Mint version will go on to make a better investment if any of them do, but this was pure indulgence for me, because it's absolutely glorious to have congruent designs on all sides of the coins, rather than a modern QEII portrait. Definitely one of my favourite purchases ever Smile
The Cat's Mother
The Cat's Mother

Wed May 11, 2022 9:53 pm
I can't read all the reverse on your photo, so I googled it. Did you mean Britanniar.? The word is short for 'Britanniarum (of the Britons), rather than 'Britanniae' (of Britain), the full text being "Victoria dei gratia britanniarum regina fidei defensatrix"

Admin likes this post

Wed May 11, 2022 10:06 pm
The Cat's Mother wrote:I can't read all the reverse on your photo, so I googled it. Did you mean Britanniar.? The word is short for 'Britanniarum (of the Britons), rather than 'Britanniae' (of Britain), the full text being "Victoria dei gratia britanniarum regina fidei defensatrix"

No I believe it's the text in very small font around the cross in the center of the original reverse. I need new reading glasses, but will try to get back to you on that when I have some, or don't have my contact lenses in!
The Cat's Mother
The Cat's Mother

Wed May 11, 2022 10:17 pm
Do you mean the 'Honi soit qui mal y pense'? I must say it does look a bit like 'pence', but it's impossible to see clearly. If you'd like to send the coins up, I'll use my loupe, but I might lose your return address. lol!

Admin likes this post

Wed May 11, 2022 10:36 pm
The Cat's Mother wrote:Do you mean the 'Honi soit qui mal y pense'? I must say it does look a bit like 'pence', but it's impossible to see clearly. If you'd like to send the coins up, I'll use my loupe, but I might lose your return address. lol!

From memory I think that may well be it! It's both inexcusable and bizarre (seeing as it's a reproduction - of some kind - of the original), but I love these coins so much I haven't dwelt on it Smile

I think you said you're off on hols? Have great ones! I would have to send the coins in your absence to @AceBullion but I think he's eagerly awaiting his next mouse coin Smile

AceBullion
AceBullion
Sponsor
https://www.acebullion.com

Thu May 12, 2022 9:14 am
kimchi wrote:
The Cat's Mother wrote:Do you mean the 'Honi soit qui mal y pense'? I must say it does look a bit like 'pence', but it's impossible to see clearly. If you'd like to send the coins up, I'll use my loupe, but I might lose your return address. lol!

From memory I think that may well be it! It's both inexcusable and bizarre (seeing as it's a reproduction - of some kind - of the original), but I love these coins so much I haven't dwelt on it Smile

I think you said you're off on hols? Have great ones! I would have to send the coins in your absence to  @AceBullion but I think he's eagerly awaiting his next mouse coin Smile

Really??? I feel like a pin cushion now with these mouse jokes. DOH!!! Never order coins when taking RX that prevents you from driving.  Perhaps I could be one of those idiots and  put in a claim because it's not listed on my rx bottle

Thu May 12, 2022 2:08 pm
AceBullion wrote:

Really??? I feel like a pin cushion now with these mouse jokes. DOH!!! Never order coins when taking RX that prevents you from driving.  Perhaps I could be one of those idiots and  put in a claim because it's not listed on my rx bottle

Sorry bud, let's forget the mouse...what mouse? Smile

I know you're very partial to a lovely portrait of the Queen, what do you think of this one?
ANT ORTA
ANT ORTA
https://www.youtube.com

Mon May 16, 2022 10:04 pm
Slabbed coins. Very cool 👍🏽
Admin
Admin
Admin
https://www.thepreciousmetalforum.com

Tue May 17, 2022 10:09 am
kimchi wrote:
AceBullion wrote:

Sorry bud, let's forget the mouse...what mouse? Smile

I know you're very partial to a lovely portrait of the Queen, what do you think of this one?
Hideous

Matt finish, no details,

I don't mind the Young Queen but C'mon, throw milk spots just to add to my overall view.  Evil or Very Mad

Tue May 17, 2022 11:52 am
Admin wrote:
Hideous

Matt finish, no details,

I don't mind the Young Queen but C'mon, throw milk spots just to add to my overall view.  Evil or Very Mad

The finish is very intricate and there's lots of detail, that's just my poor photography. It has a DCAM designation as it should (Deep Cameo, the PCGS equivalent of Ultra Cameo).

Oh blimey, gutted about the milkspot on the Victoria head side above the 'V' and 'i' (lower left). It's almost impossible to see in daylight. I don't see any others, could you point out where they are please?

Then I can try to go back to the company for an exchange as they sold these as 70s.
Admin
Admin
Admin
https://www.thepreciousmetalforum.com

Tue May 17, 2022 12:10 pm
kimchi wrote:
Admin wrote:
Hideous

Matt finish, no details,

The finish is very intricate and there's lots of detail, that's just my poor photography. It has a DCAM designation as it should (Deep Cameo, the PCGS equivalent of Ultra Cameo).

Oh blimey, gutted about the milkspot on the Victoria head side above the 'V' and 'i' (lower left). It's almost impossible to see in daylight. I don't see any others, could you point out where they are please?

Then I can try to go back to the company for an exchange as they sold these as 70s.

Sorry I didn't make myself clear, I meant if you threw in milk spots it would make my view clear. 

But it would be good to see up close and to really see those details on those coins. Sorry again, I didn't spot any milk spots on yours. It was my view on the frosted effect. 

What a Face

Tue May 17, 2022 12:35 pm
Admin wrote:
Sorry I didn't make myself clear, I meant if you threw in milk spots it would make my view clear. 

But it would be good to see up close and to really see those details on those coins. Sorry again, I didn't spot any milk spots on yours. It was my view on the frosted effect. 

What a Face

I think 'hideous' gave me a rough idea of what you thought of it bud lol!

Seriously though, thank you, you might have done me a favour if I can get an exchange. The problem is it's barely visible to the naked eye, and the grading companies don't necessarily downgrade for milkspots they deem acceptable (which is completely subjective), so I might have to argue the point. I'll have to get the loupe out. It was only the flash on the camera that brought it out so clearly. Plus I've had it a little while now so the company may tell me to do one. Alas, it's a risk one takes to some extent with grading/graded brand new silver issues Sad

As you can see, my photography skills are rubbish! It's a very detailed coin. I think the frosting has to be subtle or the design would be lost or hard to pull off at all. Just the lettering is very intricate, and quite hard to do, it's where I'd expect to see problems (missing frosting etc) from the Royal Mint. I would like to see a Mint version in hand now for comparison.
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum