The Precious Metal Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Go down
ArcaneCollector
ArcaneCollector

Wilted Chard Empty Wilted Chard

Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:55 pm
Hi all

So over a month ago I decided to buy my first ever coins. I decided to go old school and ordered two Krugerrands from Chards for next day delivery by 1pm. The tracking still said “order being prepared by sender”. Nothing arrived. I chased and was told to wait a few days. Nothing. I was told to give it a week. Nothing. I was then told they need to claim off insurance which can take a month and once processed they will send my coins.

A month passed, I chased. I was then required to sign a form confirming that if they do turn up one day, I need to return them (so they get the £3k from the claim and the coins?). They were eventually sent on Monday for next day delivery. Nothing arrived. They were sent to Swansea. I don’t live in Wales!

They eventually arrived today, but my wife says they are cursed and I need to sell them straight away. I’ll swap them for 9999 Brits at another dealer.

Anyone else had a poor service from Chards? Is this normal service in the sector? I have used SilverTrader and Tavex and had excellent customer service. Whilst I understand that issues with Royal Mail are beyond their control, I feel that I have been made to feel like a criminal. And they did nothing to entice my repeat custom, such as giving me a discount code for a future purchase.

So my first ever coin experience has been awful. I won’t be using Chards again!

Admin and ShortJohnSilver like this post

Wilted Chard Empty Re: Wilted Chard

Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:33 pm
Gosh  Shocked

That is simply not good enough from them is my short answer, and I don't blame you for not wanting to use them again after terrible service like that. That's a shame because they are often the cheapest once you add in the postage. Most other dealers include it, but you don't get a discount on multiple coins. With Chards effectively you are spreading the postage cost across all items, rather than paying a bit extra for 'free postage' on each.

It's a shame because they still do good deals on Sovereigns.

I would have thought (and imvho you should have clarified with them) that if the coins turned up the form meant that you would either have your coins, already have replacements, or your money back (but no more than one of those, obviously). I'm sure you can trust them there as they have a long-standing reputation (but as a beginner anyone should make sure of these things) Smile

My opinion of Chards is that usually things sound like they go well, but they can be obstinate and take an attitude of 'trust us even if things are delayed and we don't get in touch' but 'we don't necessarily trust you' which is off-putting and unnecessary imvho.
I tried to use them once, my mate in Blackpool had some coins to send me, so I asked him to drop by and get me a certain Kook from them which he could put in with the rest and save me separate postage. Well, he went in and they wouldn't let me pay for one single silver coin over the phone and let my mate walk out with it. Absolutely no idea why - they take payment over the phone, if they can charge me on Debit what extra risk is there to give it to my mate (on my same instruction on the phone)?

That seriously peed me off and I've never used them since, cheaper or not. But I wouldn't rule them out totally in the future, that would be cutting off my own nose etc (still at least I would have some extra sausage mix!  :lol! ).

I wouldn't see the coins as cursed, I would keep them! They're you're first coins and will always have a memory for you Smile

Also great to hear about your experiences with  @SilverTrader  (don't forget to give him a tickle behind the ear and tell him that's from @AceBullion!) and Tavex - I've not heard a review on them, if you get a chance could you do one please? Cheers buddy!
Admin
Admin
Admin
https://www.thepreciousmetalforum.com

Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:01 pm
ArcaneCollector wrote:Hi all

So over a month ago I decided to buy my first ever coins. I decided to go old school and ordered two Krugerrands from Chards for next day delivery by 1pm. The tracking still said “order being prepared by sender”. Nothing arrived. I chased and was told to wait a few days. Nothing. I was told to give it a week. Nothing. I was then told they need to claim off insurance which can take a month and once processed they will send my coins.

A month passed, I chased. I was then required to sign a form confirming that if they do turn up one day, I need to return them (so they get the £3k from the claim and the coins?). They were eventually sent on Monday for next day delivery. Nothing arrived. They were sent to Swansea. I don’t live in Wales!

They eventually arrived today, but my wife says they are cursed and I need to sell them straight away. I’ll swap them for 9999 Brits at another dealer.

Anyone else had a poor service from Chards? Is this normal service in the sector? I have used SilverTrader and Tavex and had excellent customer service. Whilst I understand that issues with Royal Mail are beyond their control, I feel that I have been made to feel like a criminal. And they did nothing to entice my repeat custom, such as giving me a discount code for a future purchase.

So my first ever coin experience has been awful. I won’t be using Chards again!

Yikes,

I have used Chards once. It was not a negative experiance, but nor was it the same I am used to. I have never heard of Tavex  and will google them now. 

Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:10 pm
Admin wrote:
Yikes,

I have used Chards once. It was not a negative experiance, but nor was it the same I am used to. I have never heard of Tavex  and will google them now. 

Is 'perfunctory' the word you were searching for good sir? If not I think it was mine!

Tavex (as a new company) have been getting good reports about their Sovereign prices I know for sure, don't know what else they do.
ArcaneCollector
ArcaneCollector

Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:35 pm
@kimchi thanks for the reply. Well the Chards order took so long to arrive that my first coin was actually a 10 oz White Horse of Hanover from @SilverTrader 🙂. It’s so shiny it’s mesmerising!

In terms of a review, Tavex are excellent. I believe they are an Estonian company, but have branches in the UK, Norway, Denmark, Sweden and others. Their website is super slick and shows the spread of what you are buying. And your purchase history is kept and tracked against live spot prices, so you can see if you’ve made or lost money. They give you a courtesy call prior to parcel dispatch and your coins come in a small display box with foam inlay in capsules. Delivery is £5. They don’t have a big selection, just this years bullion coins, but they are the cheapest I’ve found and also pay the most. For a 1oz gold coin, they pay 99.5% of spot (so spot minus a fiver).

Admin likes this post

Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:24 pm
ArcaneCollector wrote: @kimchi thanks for the reply. Well the Chards order took so long to arrive that my first coin was actually a 10 oz White Horse of Hanover from @SilverTrader 🙂. It’s so shiny it’s mesmerising!

In terms of a review, Tavex are excellent. I believe they are an Estonian company, but have branches in the UK, Norway, Denmark, Sweden and others. Their website is super slick and shows the spread of what you are buying. And your purchase history is kept and tracked against live spot prices, so you can see if you’ve made or lost money. They give you a courtesy call prior to parcel dispatch and your coins come in a small display box with foam inlay in capsules. Delivery is £5. They don’t have a big selection, just this years bullion coins, but they are the cheapest I’ve found and also pay the most. For a 1oz gold coin, they pay 99.5% of spot (so spot minus a fiver).

Great review of Tavex, many thanks! Their service sounds above and beyond Very Happy

Yes, hopefully none of us will ever be in a position where we have to sell back to a dealer!

Chards website do have some excellent and very informative articles to be fair Smile

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum