The Precious Metal Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Mike Xonox
Mike Xonox
Posts : 35
Join date : 2022-07-26
Location : Florida

What social media has shown us Empty What social media has shown us

Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:16 am
One thing that the birth of social media has shown us here in the United States is that they are anything but. I suspect that it started around the 1960s but really was not fully realized until after the turn of the century.

The UN-United States are as divided as anytime since the 1860s and getting worse seemingly by the hour. When you have half of a country wanting things their way and the other half not...It will eventually come to a head soon only this time it wont be standing armies like in the 1860s.

In the meantime while we fight amongst ourselves countries like China who have mostly homogeneous societies are passing us by. America had a good run but now its in serious decline.
avatar
Kimchi
Guest

What social media has shown us Empty Re: What social media has shown us

Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:04 pm
I can't stand it, I stay off it. Like smartphones etc it's always repulsed me. I had an invite to Fakebook back when it started as they were 'kindly' giving North American college students a referral or two for friends each. I didn't join it then and I'm not on it now.

It's now a weapon of propaganda, elite gatekeeping, and deliberate division. And that's the 'good' news.

When the President of the United States (like him or not, he's the leader of the 'free world') is banned from Twitter you would think it would give most folk a good idea that it's not a platform to be on....nope...

Beware Elon Musk, he's a Zuckerberg in sheep's clothing.
tray
tray
Posts : 299
Join date : 2022-07-02

What social media has shown us Empty Re: What social media has shown us

Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:20 am
I use FB all the time. I hike in my spare time so I put pics up so my friends & relatives can see. It's always pics of woods or rivers not often of us. Alot of my relatives can't go these places anymore. They enjoy the pics that's why I show them
I also belong to all the Dartmoor / coast sites so if you see something wrong you can post it. You also share information about carparks, unsafe paths ,lost dogs and people. So it can be a good thing. I do not share personal stuff, the only time I did was when we got married because it was covid and only 2 people came. So it's not all bad for me it does alot of good, I just keep personal life off it

Admin likes this post

Admin
Admin
Admin
Posts : 1625
Join date : 2021-05-08
Location : England UK
https://www.thepreciousmetalforum.com

What social media has shown us Empty Re: What social media has shown us

Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:23 am
tray wrote:I use FB all the time. I hike in my spare time so I put pics up so my friends & relatives can see. It's always pics of woods or rivers not often of us. Alot of my relatives can't go these places anymore. They enjoy the pics that's why I show them
I also belong to all the Dartmoor / coast sites so if you see something wrong you can post it. You also share information about carparks, unsafe paths ,lost dogs and people. So it can be a good thing. I do not share personal stuff, the only time I did was when we got married because it was covid and only 2 people came. So it's not all bad for me it does alot of good, I just keep personal life off it


I use every platform out there, reddit, Facebook, twitter, whatsapp, instagram, discord, 

And to be honest my personal facebook page is only for close friends and family. The messenger side is great! 

Whatsapp is used daily for video chats across the world. 

Twitter is used to promote Ace Bullion and This Forum as is FB and the others.

tray likes this post

tray
tray
Posts : 299
Join date : 2022-07-02

What social media has shown us Empty Re: What social media has shown us

Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:26 am
It's so useful and free

Admin likes this post

Admin
Admin
Admin
Posts : 1625
Join date : 2021-05-08
Location : England UK
https://www.thepreciousmetalforum.com

What social media has shown us Empty Re: What social media has shown us

Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:30 am
tray wrote:It's so useful and free


Yep


FREE is key!



Ok I can understand things being censored.. to which I am not going to comment on. 

But dang just like this forum you have to really break the rules to be punished. I have a zero tolerance on one bot that keeps harassing this place. But I think I finally sorted it. Shhhs but it has been over 3 months with nothing. 

I feel better.
tray
tray
Posts : 299
Join date : 2022-07-02

What social media has shown us Empty Re: What social media has shown us

Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:42 am
I once had someone pop up on messenger that told me to send him 300 dollars or he would put naked pics of me on FB I laughed and told him to f off

Admin likes this post

avatar
Kimchi
Guest

What social media has shown us Empty Re: What social media has shown us

Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:29 am
It does amaze me how useful and positive these things can be, just as  @tray says. I also agree with keeping personal information off it if you're going to use it. But we are so heavily monitored now, if there's a smart device within earshot of you they can have access to everything you say 'privately' anyway.

There's no such thing as a free lunch, but then the problem with common sense is it isn't that common. If something is 'free' then you are the product. Etc etc.

Unless you're a hermit who never sees anyone there's a good argument that if you're online at all (or even around others who are) you might as well use them all. I'm happy to admit, they will have all your information they want anyway, so why not? Smile

I'm looking to move to somewhere remote and live off the land, but even I'll admit I would still 'need' a PC and probably Whatsapp.
anch
anch
Posts : 26
Join date : 2022-08-11

What social media has shown us Empty Re: What social media has shown us

Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:22 pm
I have slowly been coming off of all social media. I gave up Facebook towards the end of 2020. This year I gave up IG and Twitter for lent. I am still off IG but got dragged back onto twitter. I do think I will give that up though very soon. It was a great platform 10 years ago, but more and more it seems to bring out the worse in people.

I think the last two years has shown the failings of social media, we believed they're like a real life interaction but are getting more and more censored by the day. More and more they're being used to control speech rather than promote it. All the platforms do have their benefits, but you have to be very disciplined not to get dragged into the mire. We know the dramatic negative impacts these platforms have on children as they have done studies, as adults I doubt we are immune from these.

Admin and The Cat's Mother like this post

Admin
Admin
Admin
Posts : 1625
Join date : 2021-05-08
Location : England UK
https://www.thepreciousmetalforum.com

What social media has shown us Empty Re: What social media has shown us

Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:53 pm
kimchi wrote:There's no such thing as a free lunch, but then the problem with common sense is it isn't that common. If something is 'free' then you are the product. Etc etc.





Yikes, what a statement. 

I gain nothing from having anyone on here! 

I kind of take this slightly offensive as I work hard on this site and pay for everything out of my own pocket. 

i have NEVER asked for anyone to donate a penny to the site. ( Exception being if they wanted to donate towards the giveaways ) which is also very costly. 

I put on YouTube videos but I am happy to have anyone put on videos. 

I have 1 main rule about this site which is do not promote or talk about another site... IE one I am banned from because I refused to pay! I refused to be a sheep! I helped out and got discarded like a piece of trash! 

I created this site with the help of MANY friends. Financially it was me. I do not get any support in money from anyone to do it... So it is a free lunch and Free site ! 

I am grateful to our moderator who get nothing and give so much to run this site.  @The Cat's Mother @ShortJohnSilver

I hope to eventually have some more sponsors other than me, but I am not actively promoting this, nor have I put up a donation section which was something I did consider. TCM will confirm this. 

The Silver Trader  @SilverTrader and  @Arino are both dealers, I do believe we have others, and all are allowed to publicly list ( sell ) anything they see fit. without spending a penny.  I welcome other dealers like Germania Mint, Apmex, Provident, Heck anyone to join. 

So yeah, I have taken a bit of offense to this free lunch rubbish.
ArcaneCollector
ArcaneCollector
Posts : 172
Join date : 2022-06-02
Location : Northamptonshire

What social media has shown us Empty Re: What social media has shown us

Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:37 pm
If you have Netflix I recommend the documentary called “The Social Dilemma”. You learn that social media is designed by psychologists to be addictive. Interesting fact is that the social media bosses don’t let their own families use it. I deleted my Facebook a few years ago, and have never used any of the others. Kids of today need a constant feed of garbage and fall apart when left with their own thoughts. Just how the ruling classes like it. A society of sheeple.

Admin and anch like this post

avatar
Kimchi
Guest

What social media has shown us Empty Re: What social media has shown us

Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:52 pm
Oh gosh  @Admin, I'm equally shocked by your reply, but I shouldn't be as I do understand your passion and kindness my friend (and also your sensitivity) Smile

That was in no way aimed at you, or any of the very kind people on here, or folks you have chosen to be close to!

In my defence, I would say that I in no way imagined my reply would be taken to comparing you to Facebook, Youtube or Google!

But you make a very great and important point about yourself and others and your motives here Smile

You are one in a million and so are @AceBullion,  @SilverTrader, @The Cat's Mother, and so many others we are so lucky to have on here...Very Happy

In terms of 'free' digital/computer services that rose from nothing to multi-billion or even trillion pound/dollar worth, I do believe the old truism 'there is no such thing as a free lunch' is extremely valid, and I only posted that in regards to the topic of the thread. However, once you reach a billion dollar+ worth through paying for a free forum for everyone and giving your beautiful poured silver away at stupidly low prices, I may have to think again about you Wink

I apologise unreservedly for any upset I have caused, and hope you understand. Meanwhile I hope that some good has come that you have once again been able to state your MO and how dedicated you are, trust me we are very lucky to have you!!!
Admin
Admin
Admin
Posts : 1625
Join date : 2021-05-08
Location : England UK
https://www.thepreciousmetalforum.com

What social media has shown us Empty Re: What social media has shown us

Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:46 pm
kimchi wrote:Oh gosh  @Admin, I'm equally shocked by your reply, but I shouldn't be as I do understand your passion and kindness my friend (and also your sensitivity) Smile

That was in no way aimed at you, or any of the very kind people on here, or folks you have chosen to be close to!

In my defence, I would say that I in no way imagined my reply would be taken to comparing you to Facebook, Youtube or Google!

But you make a very great and important point about yourself and others and your motives here Smile

You are one in a million and so are @AceBullion,  @SilverTrader, @The Cat's Mother, and so many others we are so lucky to have on here...Very Happy

In terms of 'free' digital/computer services that rose from nothing to multi-billion or even trillion pound/dollar worth, I do believe the old truism 'there is no such thing as a free lunch' is extremely valid, and I only posted that in regards to the topic of the thread. However, once you reach a billion dollar+ worth through paying for a free forum for everyone and giving your beautiful poured silver away at stupidly low prices, I may have to think again about you Wink

I apologise unreservedly for any upset I have caused, and hope you understand. Meanwhile I hope that some good has come that you have once again been able to state your MO and how dedicated you are, trust me we are very lucky to have you!!!


My view is this,

Another place that shall not be mentioned went from nothing to a lot in 4 years. Having members pay to use a service and clutter sections everywhere. I like the Sponsors section to the right of this. It lists AceBullion. If you click on that it will take you to the website. Hopefully one day I might have sponsors to add besides my own hobby. However again it is not something I am actively perusing as I do not believe in greed of any kind.  

I have learned a lot from the other forum as a paying member! And one was GREED from those in charge. I had no choice but to leave and subsequently was banned.  We have a lot of members on here, but we are not posting rubbish. No Auctions, No Deal or No deal. Just simple buy it now or best offers. 

The Giveaways are always done with full transparency so that no one can ever accuse it of being rigged.  

No one will get special privilege's we are all equal. The only thing a Mod or myself have on this forum is the referee job at times. We all get carried away... Including me .... Yes i have been told off!  Twisted Evil 

I understand your view of FB, Twitter, etc. And restricting someone's freedom of speech is stupid. I have set rules out which are easy to read and follow for all with the help of many people.  

This is a kid friendly forum, I allow my sons to read the posts. I know that if anything comes up that is not kid friendly than a immediate removal and ban would happen. No questions, or if racism or bullying was happening. 

Looking on other posts, I bring this up as i am typing anyway.. Political views are allowed. This is not aimed at you at all!!!!! We all have political views, opinions and suggestions. We all have been brought up in different environment's and countries.  So one would expect that our live experiences and beliefs ( yes which might be religious as well ) are driving our views.  Again whilst it is not best to have politics on a forum, it is allowed because some might be interested. The mods or myself might step in if we ever feel it is getting a bit heated. 

This forum would be nothing NOTHING!!! without members. I am still baffled WHY people choose to pay, and pay a huge fee in some cases. Whilst I appreciate that there might be kick backs , or bonuses ..... Again I remain in disbelief. We are growing. And if This forum grows to a FB level... It will remain free.  My own poured silver will always be priced in reason. It is a hobby which keeps me feeling like I am contributing and making a impact on others. I personally have given away over 4 kilos of silver last year of my own!!!! This was to help members who sadly do not participate on here. 

So yes i took offence to the above post because it was ladled as ALL platforms.  I have spent ££££'s on this .. Yes you have the numbers right, since I started it and have been updating it since. 

Anyway we are all good.  But I had to defend the forum which we are all moaning about other platforms... but this is just another platform we use. 

So it was ironic.  Rolling Eyes

Right rant over... going to get more squash. ( for my fellow American's, A drink )
The Cat's Mother
The Cat's Mother
Moderator
Posts : 1290
Join date : 2021-05-19
Location : UK

What social media has shown us Empty Re: What social media has shown us

Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:54 pm
"No one will get special privilege's we are all equal. The only thing a Mod or myself have on this forum is the referee job at times. We all get carried away... Including me .... Yes i have been told off!  Twisted Evil "
I find that hard to believe  @Admin , who would dare?  What social media has shown us 1f63d

Admin likes this post

Admin
Admin
Admin
Posts : 1625
Join date : 2021-05-08
Location : England UK
https://www.thepreciousmetalforum.com

What social media has shown us Empty Re: What social media has shown us

Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:01 pm
The Cat's Mother wrote:"No one will get special privilege's we are all equal. The only thing a Mod or myself have on this forum is the referee job at times. We all get carried away... Including me .... Yes i have been told off!  Twisted Evil "
I find that hard to believe  @Admin , who would dare?  What social media has shown us 1f63d

GIT
Razz
avatar
Kimchi
Guest

What social media has shown us Empty Re: What social media has shown us

Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:50 pm
Admin wrote:


My view is this,

Another place that shall not be mentioned went from nothing to a lot in 4 years. Having members pay to use a service and clutter sections everywhere. I like the Sponsors section to the right of this. It lists AceBullion. If you click on that it will take you to the website. Hopefully one day I might have sponsors to add besides my own hobby. However again it is not something I am actively perusing as I do not believe in greed of any kind.  

I have learned a lot from the other forum as a paying member! And one was GREED from those in charge. I had no choice but to leave and subsequently was banned.  We have a lot of members on here, but we are not posting rubbish. No Auctions, No Deal or No deal. Just simple buy it now or best offers. 

The Giveaways are always done with full transparency so that no one can ever accuse it of being rigged.  

No one will get special privilege's we are all equal. The only thing a Mod or myself have on this forum is the referee job at times. We all get carried away... Including me .... Yes i have been told off!  Twisted Evil 

I understand your view of FB, Twitter, etc. And restricting someone's freedom of speech is stupid. I have set rules out which are easy to read and follow for all with the help of many people.  

This is a kid friendly forum, I allow my sons to read the posts. I know that if anything comes up that is not kid friendly than a immediate removal and ban would happen. No questions, or if racism or bullying was happening. 

Looking on other posts, I bring this up as i am typing anyway.. Political views are allowed. This is not aimed at you at all!!!!! We all have political views, opinions and suggestions. We all have been brought up in different environment's and countries.  So one would expect that our live experiences and beliefs ( yes which might be religious as well ) are driving our views.  Again whilst it is not best to have politics on a forum, it is allowed because some might be interested. The mods or myself might step in if we ever feel it is getting a bit heated. 

This forum would be nothing NOTHING!!! without members. I am still baffled WHY people choose to pay, and pay a huge fee in some cases. Whilst I appreciate that there might be kick backs , or bonuses ..... Again I remain in disbelief. We are growing. And if This forum grows to a FB level... It will remain free.  My own poured silver will always be priced in reason. It is a hobby which keeps me feeling like I am contributing and making a impact on others. I personally have given away over 4 kilos of silver last year of my own!!!! This was to help members who sadly do not participate on here. 

So yes i took offence to the above post because it was ladled as ALL platforms.  I have spent ££££'s on this .. Yes you have the numbers right, since I started it and have been updating it since. 

Anyway we are all good.  But I had to defend the forum which we are all moaning about other platforms... but this is just another platform we use. 

So it was ironic.  Rolling Eyes

Right rant over... going to get more squash. ( for my fellow American's, A drink )

I don't have time for such nonsense.

Ban me if you wish.
avatar
Kimchi
Guest

What social media has shown us Empty Re: What social media has shown us

Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:05 pm
In fact I can't be BOTHERED ( Note Admin edited a word to Bothered! )  waiting.

There is no such thing as a free lunch. It doesn't have to be money, it can be time spent dealing with an ego that needs to be stroked, and will make a huge fuss on one thread (this) presumably because you've been told your posts on another (inflation) are wrong.

Deleting my account - bye all!
ArcaneCollector
ArcaneCollector
Posts : 172
Join date : 2022-06-02
Location : Northamptonshire

What social media has shown us Empty Re: What social media has shown us

Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:44 am
Guest wrote:In fact I can't be XXXXX  waiting.

There is no such thing as a free lunch. It doesn't have to be money, it can be time spent dealing with an ego that needs to be stroked, and will make a huge fuss on one thread (this) presumably because you've been told your posts on another (inflation) are wrong.

Deleting my account - bye all!

Aw, this is sad. Bye bye kimchi, it was nice knowing you. Kimchi made a valid point that social media, meaning FB, IG, Twitter, TikTok etc are bad, and not free as they gather and profit from your data, and destroy your soul and sanity. This forum is not in that group, but Admin thought his comment included this platform, when it clearly didn’t. Rants happened and we lost a great active member. Crying or Very sad

Admin likes this post

Admin
Admin
Admin
Posts : 1625
Join date : 2021-05-08
Location : England UK
https://www.thepreciousmetalforum.com

What social media has shown us Empty Re: What social media has shown us

Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:03 am
ArcaneCollector wrote:
Guest wrote:In fact I can't be XXXXX waiting.

There is no such thing as a free lunch. It doesn't have to be money, it can be time spent dealing with an ego that needs to be stroked, and will make a huge fuss on one thread (this) presumably because you've been told your posts on another (inflation) are wrong.

Deleting my account - bye all!

Aw, this is sad. Bye bye kimchi, it was nice knowing you. Kimchi made a valid point that social media, meaning FB, IG, Twitter, TikTok etc are bad, and not free as they gather and profit from your data, and destroy your soul and sanity. This forum is not in that group, but Admin thought his comment included this platform, when it clearly didn’t. Rants happened and we lost a great active member. Crying or Very sad


I agree  @ArcaneCollector  I have no plans to remove this, I will edit the "mild swearing bit" but I feel it needs to remain. 

I am not sure what is wrong with Kimchi at the minute, I have not done anything to his account. That was all him. 
i have not banned him, I have not removed him. 

I blame it on the weather. 
Shocked

ArcaneCollector likes this post

Sponsored content

What social media has shown us Empty Re: What social media has shown us

Back to top
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum