The Precious Metal Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Go down

Samoa 3D Leaf/Flower/Insect Silver Series Empty Samoa 3D Leaf/Flower/Insect Silver Series

Mon 08 May 2023, 04:02
Hi Everyone,

I recently purchased the 2020 Samoa 3D one-ounce silver coin from the Golden Flower Collection Series for my sister. While I'm waiting for this order to arrive, I was wondering a couple of things. I can't figure out which mint produces the Leaf/Flower/Insect series and I'm not sure if the 3D gilding is wrapped in gold foil or painted a gold color. Please advise.
The Cat's Mother
The Cat's Mother

Samoa 3D Leaf/Flower/Insect Silver Series Empty Re: Samoa 3D Leaf/Flower/Insect Silver Series

Mon 08 May 2023, 11:22
Hello  @Periodic Table  - what a great brother. You don't want to adopt me as a sister do you? I could send you my wish list.  lol!

I have just done a bit of a search on the interwebs. There isn't a huge amount of information, is there, but I have gleaned a bit from a few dealers' sites and descriptions on eBay, including a certificate of authenticity which gave a few details.

There seem to be three series (there may be more, but I only saw those - it was a fairly quick search): the Golden Flower, the Golden Leaf and the Enamel Flower. Your purchase was from the Golden Flower collection, and the 2020 issue was the Rose. It was followed by the Orchid (2021), the Water Lily and the Sunflower (2022) and the Strelitzia (2023). All descriptions state that the coins are silver with selective gilding, which means gold leaf applied to the silver. Gold leaf is very, very, thin so be careful with it. The only certificate that I saw was the one for the Chestnut Leaf, and it stated that the coin was minted by the Shanghai Jinyuan Cultural Development Co. Ltd. and I would assume that the same company minted both series.

I hope that's helpful. As a bit of an aside, there's also a 1 Kg series of flowers. APMEX currently has the 1 Kg Sunflower listed. Described as "This coin is a wonderful gift for every romantic occasion". It's on sale for $2495.00, down from $2895.00, so you'd better hurry as they're bound to fly off the shelf.   Samoa 3D Leaf/Flower/Insect Silver Series 1f63d

Samoa 3D Leaf/Flower/Insect Silver Series Empty Re: Samoa 3D Leaf/Flower/Insect Silver Series

Mon 08 May 2023, 14:40
Hi Cat's Mother,

I'll have to pass on another sister. One is enough. Laughing    I really appreciate your efforts in determining that Shanghai Jinyuan Cultural Development Co. Ltd is the mint. Never heard of them. I just looked up the company and found a little info about them and that they participated as exhibitors at coin fairs.

Thanks for clarifying 'selective gilding.' Quite honestly, that term isn't clear-cut to me. I just want the description to say, 'gold gilding.' Very Happy  Hopefully, the rose coin will arrive in fine condition. From pictures, the capsule and packaging look really good.

I'll leave that APMEX silver kg on the shelf. Too rich for my blood.

Thanks again,

Steve
The Cat's Mother
The Cat's Mother

Mon 08 May 2023, 14:51
Hello again
I'm gutted. My only comfort is that you don't know what you're missing. I'm sure my brother would agree.   Samoa 3D Leaf/Flower/Insect Silver Series 1f63d
In the description, 'selective' just means that gold has been applied to parts of the coin, and gilding means gold.
I knew you'd like the 1 Kg version: just the gift for a newly-adopted sister in case you were reconsidering .. .   Samoa 3D Leaf/Flower/Insect Silver Series 1f63b
tray
tray

Mon 08 May 2023, 14:52
Very interesting coins, the one you have the high relief looks very delicate. What type of capsule does it sit in?
The Cat's Mother
The Cat's Mother

Mon 08 May 2023, 15:04
tray wrote:Very interesting coins, the one you have the high relief looks very delicate. What type of capsule does it sit in?
There don't seem to be any shown on the listings I've seen. Perhaps @Periodic Table can tell us when his coin arrives.

Mon 08 May 2023, 15:19
The Cat's Mother wrote:Hello again
I'm gutted. My only comfort is that you don't know what you're missing. I'm sure my brother would agree.   Samoa 3D Leaf/Flower/Insect Silver Series 1f63d
In the description, 'selective' just means that gold has been applied to parts of the coin, and gilding means gold.
I knew you'd like the 1 Kg version: just the gift for a newly-adopted sister in case you were reconsidering .. .   Samoa 3D Leaf/Flower/Insect Silver Series 1f63b

Thanks for helping me with these terms as I am fairly ignorant to some of them. Also, I like the 'cultural development' in the company's name. Kind of reminds me of fine arts and crafts organizations where they take pride in their work.

I know you mean well in offering to be my sister. But I think you're a gold digger. Laughing

tray wrote:Very interesting coins, the one you have the high relief looks very delicate. What type of capsule does it sit in?

It's delicate looking for sure. Capsule wise, I don't know what type it is. Just that it's high enough to clear the rose.

Mon 08 May 2023, 15:27
The Cat's Mother wrote:
There don't seem to be any shown on the listings I've seen. Perhaps  @Periodic Table can tell us when his coin arrives.

This is the capsule. Samoa 3D Leaf/Flower/Insect Silver Series S-l16011

Mon 08 May 2023, 15:29
Have to wonder how they adhere it to the coin.
tray
tray

Mon 08 May 2023, 15:36
Very pretty and delicate
The Cat's Mother
The Cat's Mother

Mon 08 May 2023, 16:17
tray wrote:Very pretty and delicate
It is. I really like their take on the Strelitzia, which is a flower that I do like.
@Periodic Table , you've sussed me out. It usually takes longer!   Samoa 3D Leaf/Flower/Insect Silver Series 1f638   Samoa 3D Leaf/Flower/Insect Silver Series 1f638
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum