The Precious Metal Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Go down
Bondie
Bondie

Starting out in gold bullion Empty Starting out in gold bullion

Sat May 20, 2023 4:24 pm
Hi all. I hope you’re having a good weekend.

I am looking to save up and buy my first ¼ oz gold bullion coin (British). I’ve trawled through the posts on the forum about gold bullion, particularly the more recent posts (2022 and 2023).

There are at least two things that @Admin has said that I agree with (I know…what a crawler) – buy new and buy pure. I understand that Sovereigns are extremely liquid, and I really like the current reverse design (not so much the older design), but I don’t like their lack of purity. Having done some research, it looks like the only British alternatives are Brits which I find quite uninspiring, and Queen’s Beasts (not so new now) and Tudor Beasts. I do like the Beasts. Just to throw a spanner in the works, I much prefer the Queen’s effigy to KCIII’s.

I’ve also been searching some of the bullion dealer sites for ideas of what’s available.

You may already know that one of my favourite coins (along with the QBs and TBs) is the Royal Coat of Arms, however I can only find it in 1/10 oz, 1 oz and 10 oz. Would 1/10 oz coins be a good option? It seems there is a lower premium on heavier coins, for obvious reasons.

Generally, are fractionals easier to sell if the need arises?

I suppose my objective is to have something I can enjoy looking at whilst I still have breath, as well as something that will provide at least some financial benefit for my loved ones when I leave this earth.

What are your thoughts and do you have any further insights that may help me? I am totally new to gold! Please do tell me if I have anything wrong, or missed anything out.

Thank you, team  Smile

Admin and denby like this post

The Cat's Mother
The Cat's Mother

Starting out in gold bullion Empty Re: Starting out in gold bullion

Sat May 20, 2023 5:19 pm
Hi @Bondie . I've agreed with one or two things @Admin has said too. I would only mention that he's said much more than one of two things ...
He does know about buying shiny stuff though.
I am of limited use to you (or anyone) here, since I don't tend to buy gold. I do have the QB 1/4oz set and a 1/10oz year of the monkey from the Perth Mint. I'm also buying the 0.5g minigolds in the Congo Prehistoric Life series, which is the least cost-effective way to buy gold known to man, but they are very cute. I have some nice gold and opal jewellery too. Starting out in gold bullion 1f63b
There are a lot of gold beauties around in the 1/4oz range. Just for something to look at, here is a link to the EMK 1/4oz gold page. I'm not suggesting you buy from them, though you can if you want (but do compare prices first!*), but it will give you an idea of what's out there.

https://www.emk.com/en-us/gold/all-country/all-year-of-issue/1-4-oz/

* Egg-sucking lessons also given to grandmothers, by appointment.

Admin, denby and Bondie like this post

Bondie
Bondie

Sat May 20, 2023 5:40 pm
Hi @The Cat's Mother and thanks for your response.

I've had a quick look at the link. It's always good to have different sites to compare. It's such a pity there are so few decent British coins though! Not to worry... it's all good learning and it's interesting to see what's out there. With my love of British coins, you'd be forgiven for thinking I'm through and through British, when in fact I'm about 44% German (mother was German), and 8% Armenian (maybe that's why I like their Noah's Ark coins), amongst other nationalities (mainly Scottish). But I suppose I've lived in the UK, including England-shire, all my life and it's home. There, that's my revelation for the day.

Thank you TCM  Very Happy

Bondie
Bondie

Sat May 20, 2023 5:43 pm
PS:  @The Cat's Mother, I see the link you shared is to a German site. A nice coincidence after my revelation above Very Happy

ArcaneCollector
ArcaneCollector

Sat May 20, 2023 6:35 pm
I have done a lot of personal research into his subject matter. I concluded that you need the sweet spot of good value and the ability to resell easily. 1oz offer the best price per ounce, but are harder to sell due to the price. 1/10th oz are too small to enjoy and the premium is too high. 1/2oz is not popular for some reason, so avoid. I landed on sovereigns and the 1/4 oz coins. If you want the purity the Brits are a good bet due to being CGT exempt. But I can understand that you also want to collect. Why not start with collecting one of each of the global bullion types? A Brit, Maple leaf, Philharmonic, Eagle, Kangaroo? Krugerrands are good value but are the same purity as sovs.

Look into sovereigns. The older ones have a nice colour, and here are so many different types to collect. Young Victoria, Old Victoria, Young QEII, Gillicks, shields, Edwards, Jubilees, special editions etc.

The Cat's Mother
The Cat's Mother

Sat May 20, 2023 7:08 pm
I just found a gold quokka. It may repay some research before you buy the entire stock, @ArcaneCollector . Particularly on the subject of size and actual metal used.

https://shop.journeybeyond.com/products/rottnest-express-quokka-gold-figurine

denby
denby

Sat May 20, 2023 8:02 pm
I like gold too. I have recently swapped 17x 2023 1 oz QEII brits, (I got them for under £21 each) for 1x 2020 gold sov, I also swapped 17 x 2014 1oz silver phillies , bought in 2014 for £15 each for a 1900 Vic gold sov, this year.

Have bought 1g bars in multi-packs, pamp, heraeus, valcambi, you can break one off the pack and sell it individually still wrapped with an assay signed bar number.

Like TCM I have a good few .5g gold coins because they are beautiful, paid from £30 to £70 each on these though.

When I bought gold brits they were only £800 and sovs were £192 each.

I have a 1/10oz 2014 panda and a 1/20oz gold panda, they are beautiful too and in capsules.

The sovs I swapped silver for were on their own, no caps, so I used 1/4 oz silver brit caps to put them in.

Hope this helps. Gold is so easily sold on forums if the price is right. Since the gold all time UK high prices this year, other forums have been pretty much gold sales. Silver sales right now are very low, mostly bars.

Some guy tonight is doing an auction of a 1g gold bar and a 100g silver bar together. Ends at 9pm, current bid is just over £130. So around £50 for the gold and £80 for the silver bar, not a bad buy really. If you win you have to pay your own postage.

Admin, ArcaneCollector and Bondie like this post

ArcaneCollector
ArcaneCollector

Sat May 20, 2023 8:37 pm
The Cat's Mother wrote:I just found a gold quokka. It may repay some research before you buy the entire stock,  @ArcaneCollector . Particularly on the subject of size and actual metal used.

https://shop.journeybeyond.com/products/rottnest-express-quokka-gold-figurine

G’day Sheila! That’s one bonza quokka. All I need now is a golden bin chicken, and my life is complete. (Watch the Bin Chicken David Attenborough spoof on YouTube, it’s hilarious).

Admin
Admin
Admin
https://www.thepreciousmetalforum.com

Sat May 20, 2023 9:57 pm
Sorry to be late to the party,

I was working in the workshop all day. But I appreciate the questions,

Gold... Ok there is NO secret that I love 1/10th gold coins. I am always buying them!!! yes but they must be pure for me!

I DO have some Gold sovereigns.. Ok only fractional but I am working my way up because I am still un decided. I know they are like marmite.

@ArcaneCollector made a great point. I personally would suggest buying the 1/10th and the 1/4 versions of A Brit, Maple leaf, Philharmonic, Eagle, Kangaroo? Krugerrand

This way you can see the difference. But you can essentially start your pile building up. So budget permitting. Buy one or the other and then buy the other.

1/2 oz gold is like asking for a ferrari but with a skoda badge, baby puke brown, and landrover wheels. Just not what you want. or what anyone else wants.

1oz are EXTREMELY hard to sell. Not everyone has a £1700 + spare

BASED on a 2023 Brit at 2143 at night and using Bullion by post.
The 1/10th are about £195.70 which is 3.11 Grams You need 10 to make a oz it would cost you. £1946.00 for a Toz
The 1/4 oz gold is ££458.80 which is 7.77 Grams You need 4 to make a oz it would cost you £ 1831.20 for a Toz
A 1/2 would cost you £890.90 which is 15.55g You need 2 to make a oz. It would cost you. £ 1778.20
A Troy oz costs £1724.00

So to sum it up easily... Over time you would if prices DID NOT CHANGE ( This is where I have made a lot of money and some will disagree on this theory )
So A troy oz is £1724.00
You will spend £54.20 more if you bought the 1/2 oz
You will spend £ 107.20 if you buy the 1/4 oz
You will spend £ 222 if you buy the 1/10th oz.

Now MY experience I have bought Fractional 1/10 oz gold coins for £80 and £100... With Bullion by post... YES it was a while ago but the most I spent so far was the last coins which cost me about £160ish.

Gold has shot up.. so wait a bit or not... that is your call.

If your budget is capable, buy the 1/4 oz gold from bullion by post... Then just keep buying what you can afford as mentioned above. You can even try their Best Value deals.

It is soo nice once you start... you can always change and as long as the prices keep rising and you do not sell you have not lost anything.

but dont over spend!!!

denby, ArcaneCollector and Bondie like this post

tray
tray

Sat May 20, 2023 10:36 pm
Sovereigns are easy to sell on, if you can get the anniversary dates for a good price (anything that hasn't got George and the dragon on) it's a great investment. Elizabeth sovereigns seem to be doing well especially Gillicks.

Another idea is ancient Byzantine gold coins You can still find these at a good price but they are increasing in value

Admin, denby, ArcaneCollector and Bondie like this post

ArcaneCollector
ArcaneCollector

Sun May 21, 2023 9:20 am
Admin wrote:Sorry to be late to the party,

Gold... Ok there is NO secret that I love 1/10th gold coins. I am always buying them!!! yes but they must be pure for me!

I DO have some Gold sovereigns.. Ok only fractional but I am working my way up because I am still un decided. I know they are like marmite.

@ArcaneCollector  made a great point. I personally would suggest buying the 1/10th and the 1/4 versions of A Brit, Maple leaf, Philharmonic, Eagle, Kangaroo? Krugerrand

This way you can see the difference. But you can essentially start your pile building up. So budget permitting. Buy one or the other and then buy the other.

1/2 oz gold is like asking for a ferrari but with a skoda badge, baby puke brown, and landrover wheels.    Just not what you want. or what anyone else wants.

The 1/10th are about £195.70 which is 3.11 Grams  You need 10 to make a oz it would cost you. £1946.00 for a Toz
The 1/4 oz gold is ££458.80 which is 7.77 Grams  You need 4 to make a oz it would cost you £ 1831.20 for a Toz
A 1/2 would cost you £890.90 which is 15.55g You need 2 to make a oz. It would cost you. £ 1778.20
A Troy oz costs  £1724.00

So to sum it up easily... Over time you would if prices DID NOT CHANGE ( This is where I have made a lot of money and some will disagree on this theory )
So A troy oz is £1724.00
You will spend  £54.20 more if you bought the 1/2 oz

Now MY experience I have bought Fractional 1/10 oz gold coins for £80 and £100... With Bullion by post... YES it was a while ago but the most I spent so far was the last coins which cost me about £160ish.

If your budget is capable, buy the 1/4 oz gold from bullion by post...  Then just keep buying what you can afford as mentioned above. You can even try their Best Value deals.  

It is soo nice once you start... you can always change and as long as the prices keep rising and you do not sell you have not lost anything.

but dont over spend!!!

Great advice from @Admin . The only thing I would change is, don’t buy from Bullion by Post, they are the most expensive bullion dealer around. They are charging £457 for a quarter ounce Brit, whereas Hatton Garden Metals is charging £429 with free postage.

Admin and Bondie like this post

Admin
Admin
Admin

Sun May 21, 2023 10:13 am
I did not know that Hatton of Gardens were cheaper. I have NEVER used them. Thank you for that information.

As for the Free shipping Bullion by post do the same.

But hey I will look at the Hatton Gardens site now. One sec...

Same Coin as Bullion by Post... 1oz is £1663.63 BUT IT IS NOT IN STOCK!!!! Note companies list things cheaper when not in stock.. A common sales ploy.. but I am looking.

2022 Quarter oz is in stock at Hatton Gardens but not available from Bullion by Post.

Best Value 1oz Hattons = £1652.49
Best Value 1oz Bullion By Post = £1693

Hattons has won that by £40.51 However Both sites are cheaper on various coins than the other. But they are NOT the same.. IE year etc.

I was trawling though maples, etc and the years are just wrong. It does make a difference.

Bondie likes this post

denby
denby

Sun May 21, 2023 10:37 am
Just had a quick look at todays available small gold coin selling prices ,

2016 1/2 sov battle of the atlantic £215 freepost, UK only,

1/4oz 1987 aussie nugget £415+ post UK only,

3x1/2 sov 1911/12 and 13 £200 each, you pay post, George Vth, buy all 3 £600 with SD posted, available now.

they will both sell today and be replaced by other offers selling small gold coins, these are typical selling prices by the private owners.

Last edited by denby on Sun May 21, 2023 10:42 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add 3x1/2 gold sovs)

ArcaneCollector
ArcaneCollector

Sun May 21, 2023 11:53 am
Just picked a random quarter ounce gold coin. 2023 Australian Nugget/Kangaroo. £452.80 at Bullion by post. £443.40 from Atkinsons. If you shop around I think you can always beat BbP.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Sun May 21, 2023 12:32 pm
denby wrote:Just had a quick look at todays available small gold coin selling prices ,

3x1/2 sov 1911/12 and 13 £200 each, you pay post, George Vth, buy all 3 £600 with SD posted, available now.

they will both sell today and be replaced by other offers selling small gold coins, these are typical selling prices by the private owners.

That is some really good prices.

The thing is to shop around. I personally only buy gold from VERY trust worthy people. And I know where they bought them from. IE if they bought them directly from Atkinsons, Bullion by Post, The Royal Mint etc. A lot of people have NO problems showing proof. I keep mine in a rather odd place but I do keep my receipts.

This is why we build a relationship with each other on the forum. I would not think twice about buying gold from anyone on here that has been active and engaged in conversations.. But I would still test them because we ALL should test Gold.. even from Dealers... I know it sounds daft but I just watched someone buy fakes by accident. And I spotted them straight away whilst talking to this person. They even tested it but ..... some times there are more than one test that needs to be done.. I will post more about this later. But Yikes. Be careful.

ArcaneCollector and Bondie like this post

ArcaneCollector
ArcaneCollector

Sun May 21, 2023 12:41 pm
I would love a Sigma tester machine, but they seem hard to source in the UK.

Bondie
Bondie

Sun May 21, 2023 12:54 pm
ArcaneCollector wrote:I have done a lot of personal research into his subject matter. I concluded that you need the sweet spot of good value and the ability to resell easily. 1oz offer the best price per ounce, but are harder to sell due to the price. 1/10th oz are too small to enjoy and the premium is too high. 1/2oz is not popular for some reason, so avoid. I landed on sovereigns and the 1/4 oz coins. If you want the purity the Brits are a good bet due to being CGT exempt. But I can understand that you also want to collect. Why not start with collecting one of each of the global bullion types? A Brit, Maple leaf, Philharmonic, Eagle, Kangaroo? Krugerrands are good value but are the same purity as sovs.

Look into sovereigns. The older ones have a nice colour, and here are so many different types to collect. Young Victoria, Old Victoria, Young QEII, Gillicks, shields, Edwards, Jubilees, special editions etc.

Hi @ArcaneCollector. Thanks so much for your input. I can tell you have definitely done a lot of research on this subject. I like the sound of that "sweet spot". I've had a quick look at some of the global bullion you mention. I think the only one I really like (design-wise) is the Eagle, but I see that it has the same purity as Sovs and Krugs, which surprised me. I will keep looking.
Thank you again! Very Happy

Admin likes this post

Bondie
Bondie

Sun May 21, 2023 12:59 pm
denby wrote:I like gold too. I have recently swapped 17x 2023 1 oz QEII brits, (I got them for under £21 each) for 1x 2020 gold sov, I also swapped 17 x 2014 1oz silver phillies , bought in 2014 for £15 each for a 1900 Vic gold sov, this year.

Have bought 1g bars in multi-packs, pamp, heraeus, valcambi, you can break one off the pack and sell it individually still wrapped with an assay signed bar number.

Like TCM I have a good few .5g gold coins because they are beautiful, paid from £30 to £70 each on these though.

When I bought gold brits they were only £800 and sovs were £192 each.

I have a 1/10oz 2014 panda and a 1/20oz gold panda, they are beautiful too and in capsules.

The sovs I swapped silver for were on their own, no caps, so I used 1/4 oz silver brit caps to put them in.

Hope this helps.  Gold is so easily sold on forums if the price is right. Since the gold all time UK high prices this year, other forums have been pretty much gold sales. Silver sales right now are very low, mostly bars.

Some guy tonight is doing an auction of a 1g gold bar and a 100g silver bar together.  Ends at 9pm, current bid is just over £130. So around £50 for the gold and £80 for the silver bar, not a bad buy really. If you win you have to pay your own postage.

Hi @denby. Thanks so much for sharing. That's an impressive collection you have. And what amazing prices! Do you think those days are long gone? And did you enter the auction you mentioned?
Many thanks again, denby Very Happy

Admin likes this post

Bondie
Bondie

Sun May 21, 2023 1:14 pm

@ArcaneCollector  made a great point. I personally would suggest buying the 1/10th and the 1/4 versions of A Brit, Maple leaf, Philharmonic, Eagle, Kangaroo? Krugerrand

1/2 oz gold is like asking for a ferrari but with a skoda badge, baby puke brown, and landrover wheels.    Just not what you want. or what anyone else wants.

The 1/10th are about £195.70 which is 3.11 Grams  You need 10 to make a oz it would cost you. £1946.00 for a Toz
The 1/4 oz gold is ££458.80 which is 7.77 Grams  You need 4 to make a oz it would cost you £ 1831.20 for a Toz

So A troy oz is £1724.00

If your budget is capable, buy the 1/4 oz gold from bullion by post...  Then just keep buying what you can afford as mentioned above. You can even try their Best Value deals.  

but dont over spend!!!

Hi @Admin. Wow, thanks so much for all this info.

Yes, I think Sovs are a bit Marmitey.

“1/2 oz gold is like asking for a ferrari but with a skoda badge, baby puke brown, and landrover wheels. Just not what you want. or what anyone else wants.” That’s so funny  lol!

Thank you for all the research and calculations you’ve done. That really creates a helpful picture of costs, etc. Looking at it all together, I think ¼ oz is definitely the sweet spot for me, and I’m going to have closer look at overseas bullion. I am surprised to find that American Eagles have the same purity as Sovs, though.

I will be good and not overspend!

Thank you again Very Happy

denby
denby

Sun May 21, 2023 1:15 pm
Well Bondie, it took the market 10 years for the gold price to double.
I think house prices have been doubling every 5 years.
Gold has a lot of catching up to do.
The central banks of the World are showing a very big interest in buying gold at the moment.
What about our Scottish man who was Tony B(liars) chancellor, oh Mr Brown, selling half of our UK gold for $300 an ounce?
What a wally he was eh!
I wonder if this post will get past our moderators?

Bondie
Bondie

Sun May 21, 2023 1:16 pm
tray wrote:Sovereigns are easy to sell on, if you can get the anniversary dates for a good price (anything that hasn't got George and the dragon on) it's a great investment. Elizabeth sovereigns seem to be doing well especially Gillicks.

Another idea is ancient Byzantine gold coins You can still find these at a good price but they are increasing in value

Thanks so much @tray. Lots of research for me there! You certainly know your stuff Very Happy

Admin likes this post

Bondie
Bondie

Sun May 21, 2023 1:18 pm
ArcaneCollector wrote:

So A troy oz is £1724.00

but dont over spend!!!

Great advice from  @Admin . The only thing I would change is, don’t buy from Bullion by Post, they are the most expensive bullion dealer around. They are charging £457 for a quarter ounce Brit, whereas Hatton Garden Metals is charging £429 with free postage.

Thanks for that @ArcaneCollector Very Happy

Admin likes this post

Bondie
Bondie

Sun May 21, 2023 1:25 pm
denby wrote:Just had a quick look at todays available small gold coin selling prices ,

Thanks @denby. It's obviously cheaper to buy privately rather from dealers. Do you think buying from private sellers is beneficial in other ways? I imagine there may be some risk involved, but I'm interested to hear your opinion Very Happy

Admin likes this post

Bondie
Bondie

Sun May 21, 2023 1:27 pm
ArcaneCollector wrote:Just picked a random quarter ounce gold coin. 2023 Australian Nugget/Kangaroo. £452.80 at Bullion by post. £443.40 from Atkinsons. If you shop around I think you can always beat BbP.

Thanks @ArcaneCollector. I agree wholeheartedly about shopping around. I have a lot of research to do! Very Happy

Admin likes this post

ArcaneCollector
ArcaneCollector

Sun May 21, 2023 1:27 pm
@Bondie I wouldn’t worry too much about the purity. It’s the amount of gold in the coin that’s important. Eagles, Sovs, Krugs all add a bit of copper to make the coins more hard wearing and scratch resistant. Pure gold is so soft that is makes for a terrible coin.

Bondie likes this post

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum