The Precious Metal Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Go down
Silverlocks
Silverlocks

And a bit of interesting silver, Germania's Mythical Forest 4 coin set. Empty And a bit of interesting silver, Germania's Mythical Forest 4 coin set.

Fri Nov 17, 2023 11:41 pm
Germania's Mythical Forest

2019 Oak Leaf
And a bit of interesting silver, Germania's Mythical Forest 4 coin set. 2019_m13And a bit of interesting silver, Germania's Mythical Forest 4 coin set. 2019_m10
2021 Chestnut Leaf
And a bit of interesting silver, Germania's Mythical Forest 4 coin set. 2021_m10And a bit of interesting silver, Germania's Mythical Forest 4 coin set. 2021_m11
2022 Linden Leaf
And a bit of interesting silver, Germania's Mythical Forest 4 coin set. 2022_e10And a bit of interesting silver, Germania's Mythical Forest 4 coin set. 2022_e11
2023 Beech Leaf
And a bit of interesting silver, Germania's Mythical Forest 4 coin set. 2023_m12And a bit of interesting silver, Germania's Mythical Forest 4 coin set. 2023_m11

Admin, The Cat's Mother, Rod Panhard, AceBullion, denby, anch and AVG like this post

The Cat's Mother
The Cat's Mother

And a bit of interesting silver, Germania's Mythical Forest 4 coin set. Empty Re: And a bit of interesting silver, Germania's Mythical Forest 4 coin set.

Sat Nov 18, 2023 10:29 am
They are lovely, a particular favourite of mine.

Admin, denby and Silverlocks like this post

tray
tray

And a bit of interesting silver, Germania's Mythical Forest 4 coin set. Empty Re: And a bit of interesting silver, Germania's Mythical Forest 4 coin set.

Sat Nov 18, 2023 3:21 pm
this is a lovely set and a good price

Admin, denby and Silverlocks like this post

Sat Nov 18, 2023 7:11 pm
Just to think I worked as a botanical garden tour guide but passed on these Mythical Forest creations.
Silverlocks
Silverlocks

Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:43 pm
Periodic Table wrote:Just to think I worked as a botanical garden tour guide but passed on these Mythical Forest creations.

You can probably still get them if you hunt around. The Oak leaf tends to be a bit pricey off Ebay but the others aren't so bad.

Admin likes this post

Silverlocks
Silverlocks

Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:46 pm
tray wrote:this is a lovely set and a  good price

Priceless even.

Admin likes this post

Sat Nov 18, 2023 10:02 pm
Silverlocks wrote:You can probably still get them if you hunt around.  The Oak leaf tends to be a bit pricey off Ebay but the others aren't so bad.

I will look into it @Silverlocks. And I appreciate that you put them all together. Cool
Silverlocks
Silverlocks

Sat Nov 18, 2023 10:16 pm
Periodic Table wrote:
Silverlocks wrote:You can probably still get them if you hunt around.  The Oak leaf tends to be a bit pricey off Ebay but the others aren't so bad.

I will look into it @Silverlocks. And I appreciate that you put them all together. Cool

I have to admit to being a bit of a Germania fanboy - the Knights of the Past and Valkyries series are pretty fab as well.

I've got a set of Lady Gs and Allegories as well, although they're a little more boring than the Knights and Valkyries sets.

The 2023 Knights should arrive in the next few weeks, and I've got it on order, so maybe I'll post a set of those when I get it.

Admin likes this post

Sat Nov 18, 2023 10:33 pm
Silverlocks wrote:

I have to admit to being a bit of a Germania fanboy - the Knights of the Past and Valkyries series are pretty fab as well.

I've got a set of Lady Gs and Allegories as well, although they're a little more boring than the Knights and Valkyries sets.

Lady G took a long time in rounds to finally put her sword in the ground.Laughing  I passed on those and the knights. But I got the one and two ounce Hildegard rounds and the Italia & Germania one ounce allegory. It's Germania bars that I'm really into.
Silverlocks
Silverlocks

Sat Nov 18, 2023 10:49 pm
Periodic Table wrote:
Silverlocks wrote:

Lady G took a long time in rounds to finally put her sword in the ground.Laughing  I passed on those and the knights. But I got the one and two ounce Hildegard rounds and the Italia & Germania one ounce allegory. It's Germania bars that I'm really into.

I've got a little 100g bar as a sort of pocket piece or paperweight.  Maybe I'll get some more bars if they come up at the right price. I never got any of the 2oz Germania coins as they're kind of pricey - really at a price where you could buy a sov or some other fractional gold coin. They are nice, though.

Admin likes this post

Sat Nov 18, 2023 11:25 pm
Silverlocks wrote:I've got a little 100g bar as a sort of pocket piece or paperweight.  Maybe I'll get some more bars if they come up at the right price.  I never got any of the 2oz Germania coins as they're kind of pricey - really at a price where you could buy a sov or some other fractional gold coin.  They are nice, though.

Excellent bar for a paperweight.Cool I totally agree that the 2oz Germania cost is crazy. Especially compared to what you said about buying fractional gold. I have to plead guilty for not being prudent on a few occasions.
tray
tray

Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:29 am
I do like Germania and have most of it. I only have one 1oz bar the bigger are very expensive, beautiful and always sells out before I get my act together
Can you post a pic of knights 2023, it's the only one I haven't got l, wasn't sure of all that gold

Admin likes this post

Silverlocks
Silverlocks

Sun Nov 19, 2023 1:27 pm
tray wrote:I do like Germania and have most of it. I only have  one 1oz bar the   bigger are very expensive, beautiful and always sells out before I get my act together
Can you post a pic of knights 2023, it's the only one I haven't got l, wasn't sure of all that gold
It hasn't arrived yet, and I've just bought the BU version without any gilding.

Admin and tray like this post

Silverlocks
Silverlocks

Sun Nov 19, 2023 1:34 pm
And here is another set of pics of the reverses, taken with diffuse lighting - a cone made from tracing paper, and a single spot.
And a bit of interesting silver, Germania's Mythical Forest 4 coin set. 2019_o10And a bit of interesting silver, Germania's Mythical Forest 4 coin set. 2021_c10
And a bit of interesting silver, Germania's Mythical Forest 4 coin set. 2022_l10And a bit of interesting silver, Germania's Mythical Forest 4 coin set. 2023_b11

Admin, The Cat's Mother and AVG like this post

The Cat's Mother
The Cat's Mother

Sun Nov 19, 2023 2:48 pm
That has really brought out the detail @Silverlocks . I've been half hoping/expecting another series with coniferous trees to complement this series, but nothing seems to be in the offing at present.

Admin and Silverlocks like this post

Silverlocks
Silverlocks

Sun Nov 19, 2023 3:02 pm
The Cat's Mother wrote:That has really brought out the detail  @Silverlocks . I've been half hoping/expecting another series with coniferous trees to complement this series, but nothing seems to be in the offing at present.

Not seen any indication of such, although I see they have another series on witches coming out.

Flat lighting is good when you've got coins with a shiny surface, as it's much better at showing detail than specular reflection.  However, you don't want it too flat.  This process just has a conical diffuser made from tracing paper (you can also buy plastic ones).  By shining a spot on it, you get a gradient of luminance in your diffused light, which gives some contrast by incident angle and shows off the detail better.

The setup I used for this coin didn't have the panel lights, only one spot.

And a bit of interesting silver, Germania's Mythical Forest 4 coin set. 20231110

Admin, tray and AVG like this post

Sun Nov 19, 2023 3:04 pm
@Silverlocks, your method of photography is spot-on. I saw a couple vids about setting up white paper in photoshooting coins. Never knew about the utilization of a cone. Thanks for sharing this.
The Cat's Mother
The Cat's Mother

Sun Nov 19, 2023 3:33 pm
It looks very good @Silverlocks , but I think my box brownie would struggle. You are obviously well practised in this.

Admin likes this post

Silverlocks
Silverlocks

Sun Nov 19, 2023 4:03 pm
The Cat's Mother wrote:It looks very good  @Silverlocks , but I think my box brownie would struggle. You are obviously well practised in this.

Still figuring it out, really.  I got the camera about 6 months or so ago.  If you've got an account on The Silver Forum, I've put up quite a bit there, and on some of the FB groups as well.
Silverlocks
Silverlocks

Sun Nov 19, 2023 4:08 pm
Periodic Table wrote:@Silverlocks, your method of photography is spot-on. I saw a couple vids about setting up white paper in photoshooting coins. Never knew about the utilization of a cone. Thanks for sharing this.

I found a video about using this type of arrangement for product photos of things with mirror surfaces, and thought it might work for coins.  So, I made up a little prototype, and it works quite well.
The Cat's Mother
The Cat's Mother

Sun Nov 19, 2023 4:17 pm
Silverlocks wrote:
The Cat's Mother wrote:It looks very good  @Silverlocks , but I think my box brownie would struggle. You are obviously well practised in this.

Still figuring it out, really.  I got the camera about 6 months or so ago.  If you've got an account on The Silver Forum, I've put up quite a bit there, and on some of the FB groups as well.

No, I'm not on the Silver Forum. I'm sure there are good things there, but bits of it didn't appeal at all. I'm not on any social media either; don't have a smartphone, and don't even have a TV. How do I manage to stay alive?  And a bit of interesting silver, Germania's Mythical Forest 4 coin set. 1f63d
TCM = DinosaursRUs

Sun Nov 19, 2023 5:37 pm
Silverlocks wrote:I found a video about using this type of arrangement for product photos of things with mirror surfaces, and thought it might work for coins.  So, I made up a little prototype, and it works quite well.

I like the fact that your cone is self supporting. It will make it easy for me to setup. Please advise where I can find flat lights like yours.
Silverlocks
Silverlocks

Sun Nov 19, 2023 5:56 pm
The Cat's Mother wrote:
Silverlocks wrote:

No, I'm not on the Silver Forum. I'm sure there are good things there, but bits of it didn't appeal at all. I'm not on any social media either; don't have a smartphone, and don't even have a TV. How do I manage to stay alive?  And a bit of interesting silver, Germania's Mythical Forest 4 coin set. 1f63d
TCM = DinosaursRUs

It's got its share of wingnuts (well, the PMs racket in general has a big wingnut demographic), and some like to wear their heart on their sleeve, but otherwise it's a pretty good community.
Silverlocks
Silverlocks

Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:56 am
Periodic Table wrote:
Silverlocks wrote:I found a video about using this type of arrangement for product photos of things with mirror surfaces, and thought it might work for coins.  So, I made up a little prototype, and it works quite well.

I like the fact that your cone is self supporting. It will make it easy for me to setup. Please advise where I can find flat lights like yours.

Most of this stuff is available off Amazon.  The lights have built-in batteries and can be charged from an ordinary phone charger.  The neumowa panel lights ones come with a clip you can use to attach to the back of a smart phone.  This is somewhat useful if you're taking pics from a phone, as they can block light, so the panel light attaches under the phone.

Gold tends to confuse the software that auto-calibrates the colour temperature, so you will want a grey card to set this.  All of these lights can be set to 5600k.

Panel lights: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08BLCJ43C

Spot lights: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B09N8LXD67

Ring light: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B09GK4S2T1

Adjustment arm: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B091333W3X

Low tripod :https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07S685XRC

Small ball head for low tripod: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B081TWV39T

Medium tripod (comes with a ball head): https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0B1TGP2DQ

Heavier desktop tripod (suitable for the camera): https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01MSAEZN8

Stronger arca swiss plate (stops the camera from slipping on the plate): https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07NL86VX1

Basic colour neutral grey card: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01DPV5PUA

I've got a few other odds and sods, but that would be the main items that get used for the camera work.  Most of these things aren't terribly pricey individually, a few hundred quid's worth in total.
Silverlocks
Silverlocks

Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:40 am
Here a couple of shots of the Chestnut and Linden leaves using different (and slightly more complex) lighting.  These coins are really photogenic.

More specular lighting - one panel and two spots.

And a bit of interesting silver, Germania's Mythical Forest 4 coin set. 2021_c14And a bit of interesting silver, Germania's Mythical Forest 4 coin set. 2022_l14

More diffuse lighting - two spots through a cone shaped diffuser.

And a bit of interesting silver, Germania's Mythical Forest 4 coin set. 2021_c16And a bit of interesting silver, Germania's Mythical Forest 4 coin set. 2022_l16

The Cat's Mother, denby, tray and AVG like this post

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum