The Precious Metal Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Go down
Grigsi
Grigsi
http://www.astro.collingham.org.uk

Fake 1oz .999 Silver Bullion Titanic Coin Empty Fake 1oz .999 Silver Bullion Titanic Coin

Mon Jun 10, 2024 10:39 pm
This is unbelievable . . .
I saw a nice coloured medal listed as a "1oz silver bullion coin" so checked it out as coloured coins are mostly NOT silver.
Turned out to be a silver plated copper medal.
I informed the seller it was not a coin as it had no denomination and that the .999 silver referred to its plating over the copper inners.
Additionally I sent him links to where it stated it was only silver plating and also to where they could be bought for £7 each.
His response was that he bought it off a well known coin dealer on Ebay.
He let his auction ride and it ended up selling at £74.25 (inc post) for 28g of copper Shocked  
Fake 1oz .999 Silver Bullion Titanic Coin Fake999silver

28g of silver plated copper sold for £74.25 . . .  

Fake 1oz .999 Silver Bullion Titanic Coin Fakebulliontitanic

Titanic Silver Plated Copper at Numista . . .

Fake 1oz .999 Silver Bullion Titanic Coin Fake999numista

It breaks my heart that people can be sitting on items like this for a long time and only find out when they try to sell it on.
Talk about mis-selling.
It is NOT a coin.
It is NOT bullion.
It is NOT silver.
It is NOT 1oz.
And there is nothing anyone can do.
Many years ago Ebay IDs were not hidden and you could message someone to let them know they had been ripped off if you took pity on them. And I did do, but eBay have stopped that "To Protect The Users". (Yeah, I am sure)

Last edited by Grigsi on Mon Jun 10, 2024 11:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

Admin likes this post

Grigsi
Grigsi
http://www.astro.collingham.org.uk

Fake 1oz .999 Silver Bullion Titanic Coin Empty Re:Fake Silver Titanic

Mon Jun 10, 2024 11:02 pm
My bad, I guess it can be a bullion round, if you want to sit on a stockpile and wait for the spot price of copper rise Laughing

Admin likes this post

The Cat's Mother
The Cat's Mother

Fake 1oz .999 Silver Bullion Titanic Coin Empty Re: Fake 1oz .999 Silver Bullion Titanic Coin

Tue Jun 11, 2024 7:27 am
A very sad, and salutory, tale @Grigsi . It's worrying to see how the coloured coins are now attracting the attention of forgers. I also have a small collection of the more elaborate non-bullion coins and I had hoped that they would be less attractive to copy given the work involved. I do, however, only buy them from established dealers and I believe that the ones I have are genuine.

Admin and Grigsi like this post

Admin
Admin
Admin
https://www.thepreciousmetalforum.com

Fake 1oz .999 Silver Bullion Titanic Coin Empty Re: Fake 1oz .999 Silver Bullion Titanic Coin

Tue Jun 11, 2024 10:07 am
Ebay is soo bad with fakes.. but I looked up this person and they only have 2 coins on for sale.. this was sadly either sold... or taken off.

But the case gave it away from me. I would NEVER buy a homemade case. If it is done by NGC or PGCS it will have a number and logo you just can not fake even in a photo.

Well spotted though.

Squirrelling coins and Grigsi like this post

Squirrelling coins
Squirrelling coins

Mon Jun 24, 2024 1:57 pm
That is so bad. I'm sure most people wouldn't even spot it was a fake. Shame on Ebay

Admin and Grigsi like this post

SGF
SGF

Tue Jun 25, 2024 12:44 am
Ooph. Copper is about 4 dollars a pound. A pound. And it is not considered a precious metal. That ebay seller knew what they were selling. Sad world.

Admin and Squirrelling coins like this post

Gee Tee
Gee Tee

Mon Jul 01, 2024 12:54 pm
I agree, another issue with some eBay sellers is that they supply slightly blurry photos in their listings so sometimes you can't tell whether the item is fake or not until you have received it.

Admin likes this post

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum