The Precious Metal Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Go down
Mcb2007
Mcb2007

Collecting silver Empty Collecting silver

Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:25 pm
As I’ve said previously this is all new to me watches were my thing before being advised to start stacking/ collecting silver , off a friend that has been stacking for a few years.
I see bullion generic coins are not much different in cost to semis so have started straying that way , I know it’s a long term game to be in .
Question is do you go with low mintage coins 30,000 and less and buy multiples of them as you do when stacking Britt’setc. Or is that being selfish to other collectors or is it dog eat dog in this game .

Admin and Rod Panhard like this post

The Cat's Mother
The Cat's Mother

Collecting silver Empty Re: Collecting silver

Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:30 pm
You must be that rare thing, a collector with a conscience.
I think the answer must vary between individuals, and of course the amount you were thinking of buying, but I wouldn't see it as selfish to buy several of an issue. Even a "low" mintage of 10,000 is still quite a lot, and buying a tube or so isn't really going to dent the supply. It would be a bit different if you bought a number of a very low mintage coin, in the low hundreds and below, with a view to making a large profit from desperate collectors. In my view that would be greedy, others would see it as good business.
For myself, I'm not a stacker and with a few exceptions collect single examples of the coins/rounds I like. I'm more concerned with the aesthetics of my collection rather than seeking to amass as much bullion as possible. I suppose it is possible to do both, but it would cost a fortune in capsules.
As you can tell, like all cats I can't see a fence without wanting to sit on it.

Admin and Mcb2007 like this post

Mcb2007
Mcb2007

Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:04 pm
So TCM you buy what subjects that interest you and not the guess work of what will be easy to sell on in future .I’ve no hard and fast exit plan yet have you , what’s the average 5-10 year . Don’t want it to go further than that I’ll be in a nursing home wondering who I am any longer than that.
I was thinking 30,000 world wide was quite a small figure ,now you’ve got me all dithery on what to do.

Admin likes this post

The Cat's Mother
The Cat's Mother

Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:35 pm
I can't advise you, but if you're happy with what you buy then that's really all that matters - as long as you can still afford to eat and have a roof over you head. I'm not planning on selling my collection: my heirs can do what they want with it. I haven't been collecting long so I'm still enjoying looking at them, and I plan on drinking myself to death before I'm incarcerated in a nursing home. I'm with Martin Amis on that.
30,000 worldwide isn't a huge number, but there's an awful lot of the world's population that doesn't stack or collect silver.
Mcb2007
Mcb2007

Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:17 pm
I’ll drink to that  Collecting silver 1f601  Collecting silver 56773910

Admin likes this post

The Cat's Mother
The Cat's Mother

Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:26 pm
Cheers m'dear. Make mine a madeira, I'm not over fond of fizz (it's my age)

Admin likes this post

Mcb2007
Mcb2007

Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:28 pm
Cake or wine lol.

Admin likes this post

The Cat's Mother
The Cat's Mother

Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:35 pm
Wine - a nice verdelho, or a bastardo, which probably suits my nature better.

Admin likes this post

Mcb2007
Mcb2007

Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:06 pm
Lol got my name all over that one , or did you mean sweet as wot madeira is.

Admin likes this post

The Cat's Mother
The Cat's Mother

Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:20 pm
No, I meant the name - verdelho is medium dry and the bastardo we have is dry.

Admin likes this post

Mcb2007
Mcb2007

Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:58 pm
A day is never wasted if one learns something new , I am a dry bastardo at times. I shall just pop to the fridge and ask our Stella .

Admin likes this post

Rod Panhard
Rod Panhard

Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:11 pm
Funnily enough I went the other way about, I started on silver then moved over to watches, nothing too high end everything is affordable for example when Seiko decided to try and elevate their status by raising prices I decided to go with getting a dozen Seikos rather than one high end piece.  If you are supposed to be able to bribe a border guard with a gold Sovereign or two I did not see the point in going massively over the cost of this with watches. It was just another way to swap having cash in the bank and get "stuff" with no counter party risk instead.

Admin and Mcb2007 like this post

Mcb2007
Mcb2007

Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:20 pm
Nothing wrong with seiko I’ve had a few pass through my hands ,made money on the spork and Alpinist the monsters did well also .
I have a core collection of 16 now at varying values not much interest in anything new these days , so it leaves me with a pot to buy silver not sure if I want to go the gold route as of yet .Still early days .

Admin and Rod Panhard like this post

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum