The Precious Metal Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Go down
tray
tray

The Coronation of His Majesty King Charles III UK Coin Collection Empty The Coronation of His Majesty King Charles III UK Coin Collection

Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:17 am
The Coronation of His Majesty King Charles III UK Coin Collection Screen23

The new coins from RM for The King ( just may take months to come)

Admin, denby and Bondie like this post

The Cat's Mother
The Cat's Mother

The Coronation of His Majesty King Charles III UK Coin Collection Empty Re: The Coronation of His Majesty King Charles III UK Coin Collection

Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:27 am
They'll probably arrive just in time for William's accession! lol!
They do look to be nicely done, and it's interesting that the coin shows Charles wearing a crown, unlike the general currency bearing his portrait. Looks to be a one off for the coronation.

tray
tray

The Coronation of His Majesty King Charles III UK Coin Collection Empty Re: The Coronation of His Majesty King Charles III UK Coin Collection

Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:34 am
The Cat's Mother wrote:They'll probably arrive just in time for William's accession! lol!
They do look to be nicely done, and it's interesting that the coin shows Charles wearing a crown, unlike the general currency bearing his portrait. Looks to be a one off for the coronation.

It reminds me of the Indian coins of George 6th. Some very nice designs. Will see what they do if they limit the numbers or just sell as many as they possibly could like Queen Elizabeth Memorial coin

Bondie
Bondie

Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:32 pm
I quite like the ounce featuring the Royal Arms. I wonder how collectible these will become? Question

Admin and denby like this post

tray
tray

Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:36 pm
Bondie wrote:I quite like the ounce featuring the Royal Arms. I wonder how collectible these will become? Question
Depends on what the mintage will be. Hope it will be limited

Bondie
Bondie

Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:41 pm
@tray or any of the other experts out there, please help the rookie again... What are the financial benefits of buying proof over bullion? Are the benefits more long term for proofs? Thank you Smile

Admin, denby and 21C Bullion like this post

tray
tray

Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:52 pm
Bondie wrote:@tray or any of the other experts out there, please help the rookie again... What are the financial benefits of buying proof over bullion? Are the benefits more long term for proofs? Thank you Smile
I buy proofs if the mintage is low. If they are a popular collection then selling on you should make a few quid like queens beast, but not always the case. Proof sovereigns I've always seen a profit with them but I don't sell anything

Admin and Bondie like this post

tray
tray

Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:56 pm
I've also got alot of piedfort early coins 10p, 5p £1 £2 they are thicker than a normal coin but picked them up really cheap

Admin and Bondie like this post

Bondie
Bondie

Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:58 pm
tray wrote:I've also got alot of piedfort early coins 10p, 5p £1 £2 they are thicker than a normal coin but picked them up really cheap
Nice one  @tray Smile

Admin likes this post

The Cat's Mother
The Cat's Mother

Thu Apr 13, 2023 1:05 pm
Hi @Bondie . Like @tray I don't sell anything, although that might change as I take a hard look at what I've got.
Proof coins are usually much lower mintages than BU, and tend to be better packaged. The designs can be subtly different too: if you look at pictures of the proof and BU Queen's Virtues you'll get the idea. For me, the proofs have much better production values and have the 'wow' factor. I started with the viewpoint that if I had the BU then I didn't need the proof, but that has changed and I am twin tracking a number of issues - mainly the East India Company coins, which I love. Their Masterpieces collection is superb: it mirrors the Royal Mint series at about half the price and is fantastically well produced. The latest issue is the William Wyon St. George and the Dragon, which is just amazing. (I did a separate post on that coin).
The downside is that proofs are a lot more expensive than BU coins.
We won't mention 'prooflike' will we? That is, BU with higher production values and a higher premium. Some very nice ones out there though.

Bondie likes this post

Bondie
Bondie

Thu Apr 13, 2023 2:15 pm
Thanks  @The Cat's Mother  - lots to think about there!
tray
tray

Thu Apr 13, 2023 2:51 pm
The way I do it if I like the design of the coin will buy the best quality coin , proofs
Most of the 50p I buy BU for the presentation packs only. If you look on eBay for silver 50ps then never seem to make money I do collect Germania mint both BU and Proofs because I like the mint . Proof sovereigns always seem to make money especially if you collect anniversary dates the obverse are different to George and Dragon

denby and Bondie like this post

Bondie
Bondie

Thu Apr 13, 2023 3:11 pm
Thanks  @tray… I have a lot to learn!
ArcaneCollector
ArcaneCollector

Sat Apr 15, 2023 7:32 am
Given the Royal Mint’s terrible quality control, I hope they are going to outsource these to Australia, or the Germania Mint. Royal Mint really needs new management to shake things up!

The Cat's Mother, AceBullion, denby, tray and Bondie like this post

tray
tray

Sat Apr 15, 2023 11:42 am
My Tudor was spot on luckily, the quality of the last year's Britannia was debatable especially for proof. I will not be buying anymore. Even the Harry potters in the presentation packs haven't been anything to write home about quality wise. Hopefully they get it right with the sovereign what's coming out or I'll be sending it back. If I can get my hands on it that is

denby and Bondie like this post

SanMarino
SanMarino

Fri May 12, 2023 11:31 am
1oz Charles 2023 brittanias are still selling for £3+ more than 2023 1oz Elizabeth brittanias on eBay, do people not realise you can get them cheaper from chards or the royal mint?

denby, tray and Bondie like this post

21C Bullion
21C Bullion
https://www.youtube.com/@bullion-finance/videos

Sat Jun 24, 2023 2:21 pm
Bondie wrote:@tray or any of the other experts out there, please help the rookie again... What are the financial benefits of buying proof over bullion? Are the benefits more long term for proofs? Thank you Smile

I did a video about this ages ago on my first YouTube site that talks about "What are Bullion, Brilliant Uncirculated and Proof Coins?":

Admin, The Cat's Mother, Bondie and 21C Bullion like this post

The Cat's Mother
The Cat's Mother

Sat Jun 24, 2023 3:09 pm
That was a really useful video @21C Bullion . I found the picture of the three coins together very striking.

Admin, Bondie and 21C Bullion like this post

21C Bullion
21C Bullion
https://www.youtube.com/@bullion-finance/videos

Sat Jun 24, 2023 3:18 pm
The Cat's Mother wrote:That was a really useful video  @21C Bullion . I found the picture of the three coins together very striking.

Cheers, really old video part of my "Silver 101" series:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLVVcxhcGZQib_HhvL6phVmZiOOoAPgUfU

Yeah, seeing the 3 versions of the YoT Rat coins shows what you pay for the BUNC & Proof coins, but sometimes even bullion coins I've bought incorporate elements from BUNC & Proof coins, e.g. https://agaunews.com/south-africas-rise-of-the-dinosaurs-silver-bullion-series-adds-a-second-design/

Admin, tray, Bondie and 21C Bullion like this post

The Cat's Mother
The Cat's Mother

Sat Jun 24, 2023 3:32 pm
And we won't mention 'prooflike', will we?

Admin, Bondie and 21C Bullion like this post

Bondie
Bondie

Sat Jun 24, 2023 6:46 pm
Thanks so much for sharing this @21C Bullion  It’s really helpful Very Happy

Admin and 21C Bullion like this post

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum