The Precious Metal Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Go down
avatar
Guest
Guest

Coin Fair -Huddersfield - Page 2 Empty Re: Coin Fair -Huddersfield

Sun Aug 27, 2023 2:42 pm
The Cat's Mother wrote:It was good  @Periodic Table , and the rain was only on the way back. The drive over was good: I love the moorland and it's spectacular in the sun. I'm the same as you with numismatics - I buy coins that I see as little works of art, not date runs of halfpennies. Each to their own.

Wished I could see what the moorlands are like.
Admin
Admin
Admin
Posts : 3271
Join date : 2021-05-08
Location : England UK
https://www.thepreciousmetalforum.com

Coin Fair -Huddersfield - Page 2 Empty Re: Coin Fair -Huddersfield

Mon Aug 28, 2023 12:55 pm
Wow, That sounds awesome.

I just wish I could get out and abouts to enjoy some shows.

The Cat's Mother
The Cat's Mother
Moderator
Posts : 3210
Join date : 2021-05-19
Location : UK

Coin Fair -Huddersfield - Page 2 Empty Re: Coin Fair -Huddersfield

Mon Aug 28, 2023 1:19 pm
Periodic Table wrote:
The Cat's Mother wrote:It was good  @Periodic Table , and the rain was only on the way back. The drive over was good: I love the moorland and it's spectacular in the sun. I'm the same as you with numismatics - I buy coins that I see as little works of art, not date runs of halfpennies. Each to their own.

Wished I could see what the moorlands are like.

Just for you Steve:
Here's a bit of a taste. Blackstone Edge is my local moor: I can see Robin Hood's Bed (a big stone formation oddly not shown on the video) from my garden, and if you knew where to look and the picture was expanded an awful lot, my house will be on the video. There's also a pub up there called the White House, which is quite a landmark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RLxNa0Llek

Admin likes this post

The Cat's Mother
The Cat's Mother
Moderator
Posts : 3210
Join date : 2021-05-19
Location : UK

Coin Fair -Huddersfield - Page 2 Empty Re: Coin Fair -Huddersfield

Mon Aug 28, 2023 1:52 pm
I just found this one @Periodic Table . This was almost my route back home - I joined the motorway at Junction 23 not at 24, since 23's an easier junction. It was obviously a misty day when the film was taken, and you only get to see one side of the carriageway, but it gives a flavour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPX2wjZ6vFw
avatar
Guest
Guest

Coin Fair -Huddersfield - Page 2 Empty Re: Coin Fair -Huddersfield

Mon Aug 28, 2023 1:57 pm
The Cat's Mother wrote:Just for you Steve:
Here's a bit of a taste. Blackstone Edge is my local moor: I can see Robin Hood's Bed (a big stone formation oddly not shown on the video) from my garden, and if you knew where to look and the picture was expanded an awful lot, my house will be on the video. There's also a pub up there called the White House, which is quite a landmark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RLxNa0Llek

That's beautiful TCM. I'll look up the black rock formations. Something about the UK's countryside captures my imagination.
avatar
Guest
Guest

Coin Fair -Huddersfield - Page 2 Empty Re: Coin Fair -Huddersfield

Mon Aug 28, 2023 2:05 pm
The Cat's Mother wrote:I just found this one  @Periodic Table . This was almost my route back home - I joined the motorway at Junction 23 not at 24, since 23's an easier junction. It was obviously a misty day when the film was taken, and you only get to see one side of the carriageway, but it gives a flavour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPX2wjZ6vFw

Lovely country. Thanks for taking me along for the ride. Cool
avatar
Gail McG
Posts : 10
Join date : 2023-01-04
Age : 38
Location : Yorkshire

Coin Fair -Huddersfield - Page 2 Empty So I finally made it

Sun Oct 29, 2023 11:31 am
So today I actually went to the coin fair in Huddersfield after months of saying I would. It wasn’t as big as I thought but the people there were nice enough and some interesting stalls. Even the stalls selling coins and notes that I don’t particularly collect or have a huge interest in were still interesting to see. There were bargains to be had but some others seemed expensive. I dithered on a silver coin and when I went back was gone Crying or Very sad Would I go back probably. I won’t be making it a monthly thing but def worth it for a couple of hours out with people who enjoy the same hobby.
I am thinking of going to the one in York in January so will let you guys know how I got on with that. Very Happy Very Happy

Admin, The Cat's Mother and tray like this post

The Cat's Mother
The Cat's Mother
Moderator
Posts : 3210
Join date : 2021-05-19
Location : UK

Coin Fair -Huddersfield - Page 2 Empty Re: Coin Fair -Huddersfield

Sun Oct 29, 2023 12:03 pm
Well done for having made it  @Gail McG , and I'm glad you enjoyed it. One thing I did notice was that the fair was very much a cash economy. Credit/debit cards were decidedly unpopular. I don't think it was entirely a tax thing so much as a way of avoiding piratical bank charges, but unless you're expecting it and come prepared, it can mean you can't buy much.  Coin Fair -Huddersfield - Page 2 1f63f

Admin likes this post

Admin
Admin
Admin
Posts : 3271
Join date : 2021-05-08
Location : England UK
https://www.thepreciousmetalforum.com

Coin Fair -Huddersfield - Page 2 Empty Re: Coin Fair -Huddersfield

Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:40 am
Gail McG wrote:So today I actually went to the coin fair in Huddersfield after months of saying I would. It wasn’t as big as I thought but the people there were nice enough and some interesting stalls. Even the stalls selling coins and notes that I don’t particularly collect or have a huge interest in were still interesting to see. There were bargains to be had but some others seemed expensive. I dithered on a silver coin and when I went back was gone Crying or Very sad Would I go back probably. I won’t be making it a monthly thing but def worth it for a couple of hours out with people who enjoy the same hobby.
I am thinking of going to the one in York in January so will let you guys know how I got on with that. Very Happy Very Happy

York sounds like I might have a chance to do it. can someone shoot me the details please. It might be nice to meet face to face with a few of you if your in this neck of the woods.

avatar
Gail McG
Posts : 10
Join date : 2023-01-04
Age : 38
Location : Yorkshire

Coin Fair -Huddersfield - Page 2 Empty Re: Coin Fair -Huddersfield

Sat Nov 25, 2023 7:35 pm
The York fair is 19th & 20th January 2024
Friday 10am – 5pm & Saturday 10am – 4pm

Where: The Grandstand, York Racecourse, York YO23 1EX, England

I agree you need to take cash to the one at Huddersfield. I’d probably do same for York just incase.

Admin likes this post

tray
tray
Moderator
Posts : 1147
Join date : 2022-07-02
Age : 52

Coin Fair -Huddersfield - Page 2 Empty Re: Coin Fair -Huddersfield

Sat Nov 25, 2023 7:37 pm
I wish I lived closer 😔

Admin likes this post

Silverlocks
Silverlocks
Posts : 307
Join date : 2022-08-27
Age : 54
Location : The High Weald

Coin Fair -Huddersfield - Page 2 Empty Re: Coin Fair -Huddersfield

Sun Nov 26, 2023 1:28 am
The Cat's Mother wrote:Hello  @Gail McG . I've never been to any coin fairs, but the Cedar Court does a lot of this kind of thing, and it is easy to get to from the motorway. I looked at the Fair website, and see that the list of dealers isn't going to be published until the week before, so it's hard to judge at this stage whether the fair would have anything of interest. In principle it would be a day out, but I'm not about to keep my diary clear at this stage.

I've been to the London coin fair a handful of times and met up with a few folks. If there are more than one from here going, then it's a pretty civilised way to met up and have some lunch.

Admin, The Cat's Mother and denby like this post

The Cat's Mother
The Cat's Mother
Moderator
Posts : 3210
Join date : 2021-05-19
Location : UK

Coin Fair -Huddersfield - Page 2 Empty Re: Coin Fair -Huddersfield

Sun Nov 26, 2023 12:06 pm
But it means going into the Great Wen @Silverlocks . That's something I generally try to avoid. There may be some southern-based folk who don't mind the place though.

Admin and Silverlocks like this post

Silverlocks
Silverlocks
Posts : 307
Join date : 2022-08-27
Age : 54
Location : The High Weald

Coin Fair -Huddersfield - Page 2 Empty Re: Coin Fair -Huddersfield

Sun Nov 26, 2023 12:09 pm
The Cat's Mother wrote:But it means going into the Great Wen  @Silverlocks . That's something I generally try to avoid. There may be some southern-based folk who don't mind the place though.

Only for the London coin fair. There are fairs hosted in much more civilised places.

Admin and Gail McG like this post

The Cat's Mother
The Cat's Mother
Moderator
Posts : 3210
Join date : 2021-05-19
Location : UK

Coin Fair -Huddersfield - Page 2 Empty Re: Coin Fair -Huddersfield

Sun Nov 26, 2023 12:55 pm
Silverlocks wrote:
The Cat's Mother wrote:But it means going into the Great Wen  @Silverlocks . That's something I generally try to avoid. There may be some southern-based folk who don't mind the place though.

Only  for the London coin fair.  There are fairs hosted in much more civilised places.

True enough.

Admin likes this post

Silverlocks
Silverlocks
Posts : 307
Join date : 2022-08-27
Age : 54
Location : The High Weald

Coin Fair -Huddersfield - Page 2 Empty Re: Coin Fair -Huddersfield

Sat Dec 02, 2023 10:41 am
Gail McG wrote:Would you have any recommendations for any that are worth going to?

The London and Midland coin fairs are run by the same outfit, and tend to have much the same set of vendors every show, as far as I can tell.  It looks like the Yorkshire fair is done by some other outfit, and I've never been to it.  However, I wouldn't be surprised to find a big overlap in the exhibitors.

Perhaps not surprisingly, you will probably find a load of coin dealers - everything from folks with tubs of base metal coins to rummage through, up to posh rare coin outfits.  The prices aren't anything special, but you do get a pretty wide variety in one place so occasionally you can pick up something interesting.  I got a 10 peso coin at one earlier this year, at a fairly reasonable price.  I think the dealers price the coins on the assumption that they will get a bit of haggling.

I've got a few friends from another forum I'm involved in, and going to the coin fair tends to also function as an excuse to get together for lunch.  If you've got a bunch of folks from out that way, maybe going there and then meeting up for lunch might be worth a day out.

Admin and Gail McG like this post

Silverlocks
Silverlocks
Posts : 307
Join date : 2022-08-27
Age : 54
Location : The High Weald

Coin Fair -Huddersfield - Page 2 Empty Re: Coin Fair -Huddersfield

Sat Dec 02, 2023 11:14 am
Periodic Table wrote:
That's beautiful TCM. I'll  look up the black rock formations. Something about the UK's countryside captures my imagination.

I think the UK actually does a good job of looking after its countryside.  There are loads of trees planted around the roads here, and it often makes the place look a great deal more rural than it really is.  I'm in the middle of the Weald, which is knee deep in country lanes - you can see why the Victorian poets used to wax lyrical about the place.

Admin likes this post

Back to top
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum