The Precious Metal Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Go down
tray
tray

Internet  is dead Empty Internet is dead

Thu Jul 20, 2023 6:13 pm
Well I'm having building work done. They are hacking off the front of my house and redoing it. yesterday they cut my broadband fibre optic lead in half. So internet completely down. I've used all my credit up on my phone and I only use Netflix and prime on my TV. I haven't got an aerial. I even packed my stereo away because I've got Alexa.
6 hours of tech free I had to go out 11pm so couldn't even go bed. Would have read a book but there in the garage that is blocked by the builders.
I did go shopping for half an hour out of pure boredom and never realised how reliant  I have  became on the internet and how lost I am when i ain't got it
I ended up sat outside my husbands work 1030pm so I could jump off their wifi.
BT has gave me free data on the phone till it is fixed hopefully tomorrow fingers crossed

Admin likes this post

Admin
Admin
Admin
https://www.thepreciousmetalforum.com

Internet  is dead Empty Re: Internet is dead

Thu Jul 20, 2023 7:32 pm
tray wrote:Well I'm having building work done. They are hacking off the front of my house and redoing it. yesterday they cut my broadband fibre optic lead in half. So internet completely down. I've used all my credit up on my phone and I only use Netflix and prime on my TV. I haven't got an aerial. I even packed my stereo away because I've got Alexa.
6 hours of tech free I had to go out 11pm so couldn't even go bed. Would have read a book but there in the garage that is blocked by the builders.
I did go shopping for half an hour out of pure boredom and never realised how reliant  I have  became on the internet and how lost I am when i ain't got it
BT has gave me free data on the phone till it is fixed hopefully tomorrow fingers crossed

Yikes, most people dropped their house phones ( landlines ) because of cell phones.
Sky want you to buy Sky glass. hmmm
computers for banking, shopping, communicating, music, interacting with friends,
Yeah its scary. I refuse as a Gen X to get rid of my landline.

Everything else can go if TSHTF so to speak.

tray
tray

Thu Jul 20, 2023 7:46 pm
Yes I have a landline but only my two sisters know the number. Hopefully it's fixed tomorrow. I've just watched war of worlds live at the O2 for the second night running

Admin likes this post

The Cat's Mother
The Cat's Mother

Thu Jul 20, 2023 7:49 pm
I'm with you on the landline issue @Admin , and I get along mostly fine without a smartphone. I also use a paper diary and calendar. I think they are way too addictive and create a dependency. I'll admit that tech has its uses and can make life a lot smoother, but it can also be used to cause problems and, as @tray is finding out, when it goes down the full extent of its tentacles in our lives is shown. I am happy to use tech up to a point, but on my terms, and I am definitely technosceptic.

Admin likes this post

tray
tray

Thu Jul 20, 2023 8:07 pm
I'm just glad my boys aren't visiting today cuz they would be horrified. I havent even got an alarm clock. I use my phone.i do you use a calendar all the time, but less I'm on holiday somewhere and I know I won't get the internet then I'm armed with books and puzzles, If not I'm very reliant on it

Admin and The Cat's Mother like this post

21C Bullion
21C Bullion
https://www.youtube.com/@bullion-finance/videos

Thu Jul 20, 2023 11:16 pm
I watched Terminator 2 the other day on TV, the scene in the shopping mall was so strange, NOBODY had smartphones!

Could any of us survive without smartphones, YouTube, internet, etc?
tray
tray

Fri Jul 21, 2023 8:13 am
I found a cd last night and could only play it through the Blu-ray player. I had a thought to put it on the laptop but it doesn't have a player, on the up side lightroom runs without internet so got loads of work done

Admin likes this post

The Cat's Mother
The Cat's Mother

Fri Jul 21, 2023 9:07 am
21C Bullion wrote:I watched Terminator 2 the other day on TV, the scene in the shopping mall was so strange, NOBODY had smartphones!

Could any of us survive without smartphones, YouTube, internet, etc?

I survive quite happily without a smartphone. The only real downside for me is not being able to upload photos here without a real palaver. YouTube is a nice extra, I've had some good recipes and other tips, but I think I could manage without it. The loss of the internet would be unmanageable, certainly in the short to medium term. Long term I could manage, but life would be much more expensive, more difficult in some ways, and a lot less fun.
I'm not on any social media, and don't feel the lack at all, and I don't even have a television. I have a mobile 'phone, but it's always switched off unless I want to make a call or I'm expecting one, but I am always in control of who gets hold of me and don't feel the need to take it to bed so I can check on missed calls throughout the night.
It's probably the case that the older you are, the more you can survive without modern toys and just pick and choose what suits the way you want to live. If necessary, you can always revert to the lifestyle you had growing up.
Dinosaurs rock!

Admin and 21C Bullion like this post

tray
tray

Fri Jul 21, 2023 9:20 am
Well a man has just left, it's back if I knew it would of been that quick I wouldn't of cancelled horse riding today. Always next week
Every thing here is internet base from doorbell to TV and take it for granted that is always there
But I'm plugging my stereo back in today 😄

21C Bullion
21C Bullion

Fri Jul 21, 2023 8:52 pm
The Cat's Mother wrote:I'm not on any social media, and don't feel the lack at all

I luckily dodged the urge to get on board with social media, but my friends & family that have, are addicted like heroin addicts.

Also, when you see people better looking than you, richer than you, etc. everyday, it makes these people feel bad about their average lives. Vast majority of people are average, nothing wrong with that, but most people think there not.

Admin likes this post

The Cat's Mother
The Cat's Mother

Fri Jul 21, 2023 9:22 pm
You're one of the sensible ones  @21C Bullion . Social media has been implicated in depression among young people, and as you say, it's like a drug to them. What they don't realise is that at least half of the wonderful lifestyle posts are complete fabrications, and the posters real life is nothing like as glamorous.
Just let me ask the under-butler to pour me another glass of Roederer Cristal to go with the beluga eggies* and I'll develop this argument further ......

*Copyright TCM

21C Bullion
21C Bullion

Fri Jul 21, 2023 9:26 pm
The Cat's Mother wrote:You're one of the sensible ones  @21C Bullion

Cheers, that why everyone here stack & collect precious metals; While they collect LIKES & fake validation points.

The Cat's Mother
The Cat's Mother

Fri Jul 21, 2023 9:29 pm
I've just liked your post @21C Bullion .

21C Bullion
21C Bullion

Fri Jul 21, 2023 9:32 pm
The Cat's Mother wrote:I've just liked your post  @21C Bullion .

Cheers (I need the validation Very Happy ); BTW When do most people visit this forum?
The Cat's Mother
The Cat's Mother

Fri Jul 21, 2023 9:47 pm
21C Bullion wrote:
The Cat's Mother wrote:I've just liked your post  @21C Bullion .

Cheers (I need the validation  Very Happy ); BTW When do most people visit this forum?

I'm glad you get my weird sense of humour. Not everyone does.  Internet  is dead 1f63f. Just don't ever ask me to bare with you, as you might get more than you bargained for, and PTSD can be very nasty I believe.

Visiting times (perhaps I should rephrase that) vary. I tend to log on and lurk throughout the day because I'm not at work. Evenings aren't bad, and weekends, but a lot of posts are in response to initial posts, like Jon's videos or Tray's Germania reveals. I can't upload photos (Jon says I can, but I don't think he appreciates how useless I am), the couple of photos I have posted here have been on my laptop for a while. Martin's monthly bulletins are also worth a response, especially those dealing with My Little Pony.
Maybe I should initiate more .....
Anyway, chatline's up and running if you wanted to us it and make an old man (Jon) very happy. To coin a phrase. Just give me a couple of minutes to get out another bottle of Cristal.

21C Bullion
21C Bullion

Fri Jul 21, 2023 9:52 pm
The Cat's Mother wrote:Just give me a couple of minutes to get out another bottle of Cristal.

You do live the high life for a cat; Roederer Cristal and beluga eggies
The Cat's Mother
The Cat's Mother

Fri Jul 21, 2023 9:59 pm
21C Bullion wrote:
The Cat's Mother wrote:Just give me a couple of minutes to get out another bottle of Cristal.

You do live the high life for a cat; Roederer Cristal and beluga eggies

Nothing but the best for the Cat.
Actually, I prefer a nice old Madeira and smoked salmon.

denby and 21C Bullion like this post

ArcaneCollector
ArcaneCollector

Sat Jul 22, 2023 7:22 am
tray wrote:Well I'm having building work done. They are hacking off the front of my house and redoing it. yesterday they cut my broadband fibre optic lead in half. So internet completely down. I've used all my credit up on my phone and I only use Netflix and prime on my TV. I haven't got an aerial. I even packed my stereo away because I've got Alexa.

If you only watch Netflix and Prime, have you stopped paying your TV licence? I do the same, not watched terrestrial TV in the last year so why am I paying for a tv licence?

PS. You need a hobby, or a jigsaw puzzle Very Happy

denby likes this post

tray
tray

Sat Jul 22, 2023 8:16 am
Yes I haven't paid for a licence for last 4 years. I had to sign to say I don't terrestrial TV and you can't.
I have loads of hobbies but most involve the net one way or other
I was crewing last night on a yacht for a elderly gent when we finished he said email me when you want to go again. It's in everything we do and at all ages

denby and ArcaneCollector like this post

21C Bullion
21C Bullion

Sat Jul 22, 2023 12:18 pm
tray wrote:Yes I haven't paid for a licence for last 4 years.

Do the BBC goons not harass & threaten you for not having a license?

Admin likes this post

tray
tray

Sat Jul 22, 2023 12:24 pm
No not anymore they sent a form to fill in. I think it covers till 2025 then they will ask for update

Admin
Admin
Admin
https://www.thepreciousmetalforum.com

Sat Jul 22, 2023 12:31 pm
I just seen yesterday that the BBC are now looking to see if they can add the TV licence fee for computers as anyone can access information and watch shows. You cant make this stuff up.
21C Bullion
21C Bullion

Sat Jul 22, 2023 12:50 pm
Admin wrote:I just seen yesterday that the BBC are now looking to see if they can add the TV license fee for computers as anyone can access information and watch shows. You cant make this stuff up.

The Upper Class and their Middle Class minions will never stop harassing the Working Class.

People are fed up with the Biased Broadcasting Company; BTW BBC, we haven't forgotten about Huw Edward's indiscretion!

Admin and ArcaneCollector like this post

The Cat's Mother
The Cat's Mother

Sat Jul 22, 2023 1:03 pm
I haven't had a TV licence for over 30 years. Every two years I get an email asking me to confirm that nobody here watches broadcasts, and reminding me of the penalties for sneaking a look at Coronation Street. I just confirm that's the case - entirely honestly - and they go away for a couple of years. The requirement for a TV licence is not just for a TV set, it covers all live broadcasts from whatever source whether viewed on a TV or a computer. Catch-up is ok, as are pre-recorded films and most of what's on the internet. That has been the case for years, but what I do find disturbing is the recent suggestion from some think tank that charges for broadband should include an element of levy for the BBC. The current licence fee setup is due to expire in 2027 and the Beeb is desperate for alternative funding. A subscription service would be fairest, but there is concern that it wouldn't raise enough to pay for all the extravagance at Broadcasting House.

Admin likes this post

21C Bullion
21C Bullion

Sat Jul 22, 2023 1:12 pm
The Cat's Mother wrote:...but what I do find disturbing is the recent suggestion from some think tank that charges for broadband should include an element of levy for the BBC. The current licence fee setup is due to expire in 2027 and the Beeb is desperate for alternative funding. A subscription service would be fairest, but there is concern that it wouldn't raise enough to pay for all the extravagance at Broadcasting House.

The BBC should put it's money where it's mouth is; Let the public decide if they want to pay via subscription.

It was OK in 90s, made a good variety of programmes, but is out of touch now constantly pushing it's woke agenda.

Admin and ArcaneCollector like this post

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum