The Precious Metal Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin
Posts : 3271
Join date : 2021-05-08
Location : England UK
https://www.thepreciousmetalforum.com

2024 Durga Le Grand Mint Empty 2024 Durga Le Grand Mint

Wed Dec 20, 2023 12:06 pm
High Relief, 2nt in the series, 9999 Silver coin.

Wow.

The Cat's Mother, Rod Panhard, denby, tray, Silverlocks and AVG like this post

denby
denby
Posts : 309
Join date : 2021-07-25
Age : 73
Location : Scotland

2024 Durga Le Grand Mint Empty Re: 2024 Durga Le Grand Mint

Wed Dec 20, 2023 1:01 pm
I agree totally this set will make collectors a fortune in the future. I thought the 2023 was good, but the 2024 is even better.

I have proofs that don't come near this coin.

Admin, The Cat's Mother, Rod Panhard and tray like this post

The Cat's Mother
The Cat's Mother
Moderator
Posts : 3210
Join date : 2021-05-19
Location : UK

2024 Durga Le Grand Mint Empty Re: 2024 Durga Le Grand Mint

Wed Dec 20, 2023 1:30 pm
Another really beautiful coin. It's on my shopping list, but I'm waiting for Martin to get a couple of others in and go for them all together. This will also avoid the insanity of the Christmas post.
I can see why you were getting excited @Admin : a gorgeous young lady bristling with weaponry riding a big cat, what's not to like? 2024 Durga Le Grand Mint 1f63d
As you know I'm a great fan of Le Grand Mint - I did have it as my Mint of the Year in that questionnaire you posted in September - and this is a wonderful example of their work. 2024 Durga Le Grand Mint 1f63b

Admin, Rod Panhard, denby and tray like this post

denby
denby
Posts : 309
Join date : 2021-07-25
Age : 73
Location : Scotland

2024 Durga Le Grand Mint Empty Re: 2024 Durga Le Grand Mint

Wed Dec 20, 2023 2:29 pm
Yes TCM it was my coin of the year 2023 too.

I have a feeling that Durga 2024 could be my coin of the year 2024.


Last edited by denby on Wed Dec 20, 2023 2:29 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling the)

Admin and Rod Panhard like this post

Silverlocks
Silverlocks
Posts : 307
Join date : 2022-08-27
Age : 54
Location : The High Weald

2024 Durga Le Grand Mint Empty Re: 2024 Durga Le Grand Mint

Wed Dec 20, 2023 2:57 pm
They're in at Silvertrader now. Leave a couple for me please.

Admin, Rod Panhard and denby like this post

Rod Panhard
Rod Panhard
Posts : 294
Join date : 2021-05-25

2024 Durga Le Grand Mint Empty Re: 2024 Durga Le Grand Mint

Wed Dec 20, 2023 3:09 pm
This is a beautiful coin, handy that Martin still has the previous issue in stock also.

Admin, denby and Silverlocks like this post

The Cat's Mother
The Cat's Mother
Moderator
Posts : 3210
Join date : 2021-05-19
Location : UK

2024 Durga Le Grand Mint Empty Re: 2024 Durga Le Grand Mint

Wed Dec 20, 2023 3:35 pm
Silverlocks wrote:They're in at Silvertrader now.  Leave a couple for me please.

I think we'll be ok @Silverlocks . There are plenty - but I'm going to pounce after Christmas.

Admin and Silverlocks like this post

Silverlocks
Silverlocks
Posts : 307
Join date : 2022-08-27
Age : 54
Location : The High Weald

2024 Durga Le Grand Mint Empty Re: 2024 Durga Le Grand Mint

Wed Dec 20, 2023 3:36 pm
The Cat's Mother wrote:
Silverlocks wrote:They're in at Silvertrader now.  Leave a couple for me please.

I think we'll be ok  @Silverlocks . There are plenty - but I'm going to pounce after Christmas.

Well, The Cat's Mother pouncing - leading by example, I see.

Admin and denby like this post

denby
denby
Posts : 309
Join date : 2021-07-25
Age : 73
Location : Scotland

2024 Durga Le Grand Mint Empty Re: 2024 Durga Le Grand Mint

Wed Dec 20, 2023 3:42 pm
56 is not plenty, they could easily be gone by New Year.

Admin likes this post

The Cat's Mother
The Cat's Mother
Moderator
Posts : 3210
Join date : 2021-05-19
Location : UK

2024 Durga Le Grand Mint Empty Re: 2024 Durga Le Grand Mint

Wed Dec 20, 2023 4:31 pm
denby wrote:56 is not plenty, they could easily be gone by New Year.

158 when I looked just now

Admin and denby like this post

The Cat's Mother
The Cat's Mother
Moderator
Posts : 3210
Join date : 2021-05-19
Location : UK

2024 Durga Le Grand Mint Empty Re: 2024 Durga Le Grand Mint

Wed Dec 20, 2023 4:32 pm
Silverlocks wrote:
The Cat's Mother wrote:
Silverlocks wrote:They're in at Silvertrader now.  Leave a couple for me please.

I think we'll be ok  @Silverlocks . There are plenty - but I'm going to pounce after Christmas.

Well, The Cat's Mother pouncing - leading by example, I see.

Naturally. Just as soon as I've polished off all the chocolate mice.

Admin, Rod Panhard, denby and Silverlocks like this post

Rod Panhard
Rod Panhard
Posts : 294
Join date : 2021-05-25

2024 Durga Le Grand Mint Empty Re: 2024 Durga Le Grand Mint

Wed Dec 20, 2023 4:32 pm
I've ordered a couple, this is a coin I had absolutely no interest in until I saw Jons video, the macro shots of the detail to it is what sold me on it.

Admin, denby and Silverlocks like this post

denby
denby
Posts : 309
Join date : 2021-07-25
Age : 73
Location : Scotland

2024 Durga Le Grand Mint Empty Re: 2024 Durga Le Grand Mint

Wed Dec 20, 2023 4:44 pm
Yes TCM, 56 is the 2023 in stock, the first coin in a set is thee most important one to get remember.

Admin and Silverlocks like this post

The Cat's Mother
The Cat's Mother
Moderator
Posts : 3210
Join date : 2021-05-19
Location : UK

2024 Durga Le Grand Mint Empty Re: 2024 Durga Le Grand Mint

Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:06 pm
denby wrote:Yes TCM, 56 is the 2023 in stock, the first coin in a set is thee most important one to get remember.

Don't worry @denby , the 2023 is already safely here.

Admin, denby and Silverlocks like this post

Silverlocks
Silverlocks
Posts : 307
Join date : 2022-08-27
Age : 54
Location : The High Weald

2024 Durga Le Grand Mint Empty Re: 2024 Durga Le Grand Mint

Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:53 pm
2024 Durga Le Grand Mint Durga_11

I'll get around to taking a photo of the 2024 when I get one, most likely January.

Admin, The Cat's Mother and denby like this post

The Cat's Mother
The Cat's Mother
Moderator
Posts : 3210
Join date : 2021-05-19
Location : UK

2024 Durga Le Grand Mint Empty Re: 2024 Durga Le Grand Mint

Wed Dec 20, 2023 6:01 pm
That has really brought out its beauty.

Admin, denby and Silverlocks like this post

Silverlocks
Silverlocks
Posts : 307
Join date : 2022-08-27
Age : 54
Location : The High Weald

2024 Durga Le Grand Mint Empty Re: 2024 Durga Le Grand Mint

Wed Dec 20, 2023 6:51 pm
The Cat's Mother wrote:That has really brought out its beauty.

The proof-like background and high relief make Durgas very photogenic, especially if you do a stacked oblique shot like that one. It's quite a spectacular design.

LGM have many fabulous designs. I'd be quite the Carmen Testa fanboy if they weren't all 200 euros.

Admin and denby like this post

Silverlocks
Silverlocks
Posts : 307
Join date : 2022-08-27
Age : 54
Location : The High Weald

2024 Durga Le Grand Mint Empty Re: 2024 Durga Le Grand Mint

Wed Dec 20, 2023 7:01 pm
I feel like Dr. Strangelove resisting the temptation to get a gold one.

Admin and denby like this post

denby
denby
Posts : 309
Join date : 2021-07-25
Age : 73
Location : Scotland

2024 Durga Le Grand Mint Empty Re: 2024 Durga Le Grand Mint

Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:09 pm
Silverlocks, you should buy a gold one, you won't ever regret it. I wish I could.

But I can afford to buy a lot of silver ones, which I have done already.

Admin and Silverlocks like this post

Silverlocks
Silverlocks
Posts : 307
Join date : 2022-08-27
Age : 54
Location : The High Weald

2024 Durga Le Grand Mint Empty Re: 2024 Durga Le Grand Mint

Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:54 pm
denby wrote:Silverlocks,  you should buy a gold one, you won't ever regret it. I wish I could.

But I can afford to buy a lot of silver ones, which I have done already.

I think Powercoin.it has them, but it's 900 euros for a 10g gold coin, a premium of the order of 50%.  That's quite a lot for a gold coin, and unfortunately high premium gold coins tend not to hold their value.  I've got about half a dozen proof sovs, tenth and quarter ounce gold proofs that I picked up at around bullion prices, which is not uncommon for gold proofs.  For every Great Engravers Una and the Lion there are dozens where the market price settles to about 10% or 15% over spot.  That's one where they caught lightning in a bottle - all of other Great Engravers series sell below RRP on the secondary market.

So, I've got a standing policy of not buying high premium gold coins.  If a gold Durga were to come up on the secondary market at something more like its market price I'd seriously contemplate getting it.

The silver ones I'd quite happily buy, as I suspect it would be much easier to get one's money back out of one of those, and they're every bit as good looking as the gold one.  With this coin it's the design rather than the lustre of the metal.

Admin, The Cat's Mother, Rod Panhard and denby like this post

denby
denby
Posts : 309
Join date : 2021-07-25
Age : 73
Location : Scotland

2024 Durga Le Grand Mint Empty Re: 2024 Durga Le Grand Mint

Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:28 am
Yes Sir, I agree totally with your thinking, the 1oz Durga is £43 in Rome and they have silver proofs for just under £90, with only 999 minted rather than 9999 on the cheaper ones. Maybe Martin could get you a gold one from LGM at a proper price for the 10g gold?

Admin likes this post

Silverlocks
Silverlocks
Posts : 307
Join date : 2022-08-27
Age : 54
Location : The High Weald

2024 Durga Le Grand Mint Empty Re: 2024 Durga Le Grand Mint

Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:25 am
denby wrote:Yes Sir, I agree totally with your thinking, the 1oz Durga is £43 in Rome and they have silver proofs for just under £90, with only 999 minted rather than 9999 on the cheaper ones. Maybe Martin could get you a gold one from LGM at a proper price for the 10g gold?


I suppose one could ask, although I doubt it would sell for any less unless LGM are having trouble shifting them and have stock to clear.

Admin and denby like this post

The Cat's Mother
The Cat's Mother
Moderator
Posts : 3210
Join date : 2021-05-19
Location : UK

2024 Durga Le Grand Mint Empty Re: 2024 Durga Le Grand Mint

Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:31 am
Silverlocks wrote:
denby wrote:Yes Sir, I agree totally with your thinking, the 1oz Durga is £43 in Rome and they have silver proofs for just under £90, with only 999 minted rather than 9999 on the cheaper ones. Maybe Martin could get you a gold one from LGM at a proper price for the 10g gold?


I suppose one could ask, although I doubt it would sell for any less unless LGM are having trouble shifting them and have stock to clear.

LGM have them on sale for £791, which strikes me as quite a lot for 10g.

Admin, Rod Panhard, denby and Silverlocks like this post

Rod Panhard
Rod Panhard
Posts : 294
Join date : 2021-05-25

2024 Durga Le Grand Mint Empty Re: 2024 Durga Le Grand Mint

Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:48 am
The Cat's Mother wrote:
Silverlocks wrote:
denby wrote:Yes Sir, I agree totally with your thinking, the 1oz Durga is £43 in Rome and they have silver proofs for just under £90, with only 999 minted rather than 9999 on the cheaper ones. Maybe Martin could get you a gold one from LGM at a proper price for the 10g gold?


I suppose one could ask, although I doubt it would sell for any less unless LGM are having trouble shifting them and have stock to clear.

LGM have them on sale for £791, which strikes me as quite a lot for 10g.


That does seem a lot, chip in another £100 and you could get half an oz of gold or that's a qtr oz with £300 change.

Admin and denby like this post

Silverlocks
Silverlocks
Posts : 307
Join date : 2022-08-27
Age : 54
Location : The High Weald

2024 Durga Le Grand Mint Empty Re: 2024 Durga Le Grand Mint

Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:06 am
It is quite pricey for what it is. The strike on the silver one is very good, though. LGM sell a lot of high-premium proof silver; the Durga is a bit of an anomaly, maybe an experiment in lower premium BU coins in about the same price range as Germania. Everything else they sell is much more expensive.

Admin, The Cat's Mother, Rod Panhard and denby like this post

Back to top
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum