The Precious Metal Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Go down
Mcb2007
Mcb2007

Coins and capsules  Empty Coins and capsules

Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:11 am
How well fitting should the coins be when encapsulated, the one that arrived yesterday sound like a baby’s rattle .

Admin and CanadianGoldHunter like this post

The Cat's Mother
The Cat's Mother

Coins and capsules  Empty Re: Coins and capsules

Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:08 am
I know what you mean about rattling in the capsule (sounds like a song title). If the coin is one you got from Silvertrader, he puts them in the best fitting size available, assuming they didn't come in mint-issued capsules. If the rattling is very bad, then you could ask him direct (he answers emails very quickly) whether there might be a better fit.

Admin, CanadianGoldHunter and Mcb2007 like this post

Mcb2007
Mcb2007

Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:32 pm
Yep from silvertrader , might be a touch of OCD kicking in . Is it a problem for the coin potential damage etc ,obviously I won’t be shaking them about unless I join the Sally Army Coins and capsules  1f602

Admin, CanadianGoldHunter and ShortJohnSilver like this post

The Cat's Mother
The Cat's Mother

Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:00 pm
I'm not sure about the potential for damage, although someone on the Forum will probably know, but I'm not keen on it either. A possibility is to look online for the coin's diameter and then see if you can get better fitting capsules. The difficulty is that you will need a size very slightly larger than the coin so you can actually fit the coin inside, and you may have a long search before you come across the right sizer, if you do manage to.

Mcb2007
Mcb2007

Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:29 pm
The three that came are all Australian so are 40.6mm so a 41mm capsule should be ok . All the royal mint stuff seems rattle free in the 39mm I have .

The Cat's Mother
The Cat's Mother

Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:02 pm
Before you go to the trouble of acquiring new capsules, ask Martin what he sent them out in.

Mcb2007
Mcb2007

Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:45 pm
I already know ,old Tupperware box’s spring to mind .

Admin
Admin
Admin
https://www.thepreciousmetalforum.com

Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:02 am
Capsules, Oh gosh, Where to begin.

I am not speaking on behalf of Martin, So these are my words and thoughts only. And also experience.

For the most part Martin does put most coins in capsules that fit the coins. However if they come in with a capsule than it is unlikely he will replace that capsule unless it is damaged or broken. This means that he has never touched your coins.

As for damage of coins, yes over time if you shake the heck out of a coin it will dampen down the ridge marks or milled lines. But you shouldn't be shaking the heck out of them anyway. Some coins are a pain for capsules and finding the right one can be tricky. I always suggest keeping spares. As I mentioned I keep extra spares here in my own stacking. I feel that some are just a pain to get 100% right which like you bugs the heck out of me.

All I can say is if you have any concerns contact Martin ( as you bought if from him ) or the dealer you got them from. There are some Air Tight capsules that have a black or what ever colour sponge like ring you can add. They are stupidly expensive, but for those coins that are high premium I always suggest them.

Hope that helps.

The Cat's Mother and Mcb2007 like this post

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum