The Precious Metal Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin
Posts : 3420
Join date : 2021-05-08
Location : England UK
https://www.thepreciousmetalforum.com

Fake Koala - Page 2 Empty Re: Fake Koala

Tue 11 Jun 2024, 09:59
Grigsi wrote:
ArcaneCollector wrote:What a fantastic article, thanks for sharing! Whilst some people laugh at it, the ping test app is also another line of evidence. It has been 100% accurate for me thus far. And you can also do the magnet slide test, but it’s possible for fraudsters to get around this. I think it comes with experience of handling the coins. You can soon tell a fake if it’s a regular bullion coin such as a Maple or Brit. It’s more difficult for Koalas etc that have a new design every year. Your density tests are fantastic, especially for a nerd like me!


The Pingcoin app is brilliant if you are a collector of only bullion coins, as the database is extremely limited. I like this app despite it should not to be relied on, since several coins of varying compositions can have similar resonating frequences. It is very good as a "Filter" to say since it has passed this test, it is now worth spending more time progressing into more in depth procedures.

Sadly for me, while I am a bullion collector, bullion coinage probably makes up less than 1% of my silver collection, so I would need an app that covers the other 99% of my collection.
I found only one app to date that allows you to manually enter the data parameters to cover a wider range of coins. It is the "Precious Coin Tester" app, which seems to work well on its included bullion database. But in order to use the manual parameter feature, you need to commit to a £36 per year subscription, which could be better spent towards a more accurate density meter.

I hope there will be more new apps sprouting up that will provide a much larger database or manual customisation input. Unfortunately these types of apps are moving towards the "Subscription Only" model in order to build life-long, growing revenue streams for themselves.

If a better app for purchasing does not come along, I might even ask my daughter to make the time to create one, since she has a PhD in physics and is currently working as a programmer, designing and creating AI software.

I can see what you mean regarding bullion coins. IE basic Brits or Maples.
However fakers tend to do more on the Perth Mint side of fakes than any other brand. Pamp is followed for gold.
The thing we all need to know is to try to buy from reputable companies and or people. But still do our due diligence before putting that away in our safes.

I have known many collectors and stackers who forget and just take things on face value because of the eventual build up in trust. The fact that nothing had reached them yet does not excuse the fact that something might just be lurking around the corner.

As for a subscription for apps etc. I am wary. I never liked the ping test. I can see why, but I strongly feel that having scales and a magnet or slide magnet will be of more use to you than a ping... but what does one more bit of kit mean if your buying from stalls or coins shows. This does not effect me as I am always buying from the internet these days....

Have you seen some of my previous videos of fakes?? I have a large collection including sovereigns and others... the pamp blob gold bar and modern coins.

Every coin I tested has failed in either the weight or magnet test. And nothing was ever fooled past that yet.

Grigsi likes this post

Grigsi
Grigsi
Posts : 9
Join date : 2024-05-06
Age : 63
Location : Nottinghamshire, UK
http://www.astro.collingham.org.uk

Fake Koala - Page 2 Empty Re: Fake Koala

Tue 11 Jun 2024, 12:30
Admin wrote:
Grigsi wrote:
ArcaneCollector wrote:What a fantastic article, thanks for sharing! Whilst some people laugh at it, the ping test app is also another line of evidence. It has been 100% accurate for me thus far. And you can also do the magnet slide test, but it’s possible for fraudsters to get around this. I think it comes with experience of handling the coins. You can soon tell a fake if it’s a regular bullion coin such as a Maple or Brit. It’s more difficult for Koalas etc that have a new design every year. Your density tests are fantastic, especially for a nerd like me!


The Pingcoin app is brilliant if you are a collector of only bullion coins, as the database is extremely limited. I like this app despite it should not to be relied on, since several coins of varying compositions can have similar resonating frequences. It is very good as a "Filter" to say since it has passed this test, it is now worth spending more time progressing into more in depth procedures.

Sadly for me, while I am a bullion collector, bullion coinage probably makes up less than 1% of my silver collection, so I would need an app that covers the other 99% of my collection.
I found only one app to date that allows you to manually enter the data parameters to cover a wider range of coins. It is the "Precious Coin Tester" app, which seems to work well on its included bullion database. But in order to use the manual parameter feature, you need to commit to a £36 per year subscription, which could be better spent towards a more accurate density meter.

I hope there will be more new apps sprouting up that will provide a much larger database or manual customisation input. Unfortunately these types of apps are moving towards the "Subscription Only" model in order to build life-long, growing revenue streams for themselves.

If a better app for purchasing does not come along, I might even ask my daughter to make the time to create one, since she has a PhD in physics and is currently working as a programmer, designing and creating AI software.

I can see what you mean regarding bullion coins. IE basic Brits or Maples.
However fakers tend to do more on the Perth Mint side of fakes than any other brand. Pamp is followed for gold.
The thing we all need to know is to try to buy from reputable companies and or people. But still do our due diligence before putting that away in our safes.

I have known many collectors and stackers who forget and just take things on face value because of the eventual build up in trust. The fact that nothing had reached them yet does not excuse the fact that something might just be lurking around the corner.

As for a subscription for apps etc. I am wary. I never liked the ping test. I can see why, but I strongly feel that having scales and a magnet or slide magnet will be of more use to you than a ping... but what does one more bit of kit mean if your buying from stalls or coins shows. This does not effect me as I am always buying from the internet these days....  

Have you seen some of my previous videos of fakes??  I have a large collection including sovereigns and others... the pamp blob gold bar and modern coins.

Every coin I tested has failed in either the weight or magnet test. And nothing was ever fooled past that yet.

No @Admin , I havent seen any articles on here yet, so if you can tell me how to find them please, I would love to take a look.

Admin likes this post

Admin
Admin
Admin
Posts : 3420
Join date : 2021-05-08
Location : England UK
https://www.thepreciousmetalforum.com

Fake Koala - Page 2 Empty Re: Fake Koala

Wed 12 Jun 2024, 10:44
Here are a couple... the first video shows me destroying and well I wont spoil it for you one coin.
You get a good look inside one as well... layer by layer!!!!! that is

And this video is the very latest of the fakes... Note how scary they can be.

Grigsi likes this post

Grigsi
Grigsi
Posts : 9
Join date : 2024-05-06
Age : 63
Location : Nottinghamshire, UK
http://www.astro.collingham.org.uk

Fake Koala - Page 2 Empty Great Videos

Tue 18 Jun 2024, 23:43
Thank you @Admin
Excellent videos, I thoroughly enjoyed them.
Looking forward to more Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Admin likes this post

Admin
Admin
Admin
Posts : 3420
Join date : 2021-05-08
Location : England UK
https://www.thepreciousmetalforum.com

Fake Koala - Page 2 Empty Re: Fake Koala

Wed 19 Jun 2024, 12:00
Grigsi wrote:Thank you @Admin
Excellent videos, I thoroughly enjoyed them.
Looking forward to more Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy


Well if anyone comes across a fake to be shown I am happy to add it to my fake collection. 

I have spent a bit of money on fakes to show and highlight how scary some of these are.
Back to top
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum